Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

Nothing! Thank you norbold. It was a test to see if 'Germany's favourite hamburger' would intervene. After some 10 years of 'dedication' by him to what I post he just cannot respond in some ways. And he did. Isn't there a quotation something like '...he seeks me here, he seeks me there, he seeks me everywhere?" And he has again! And will almost certainly emerge on this Post!

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, gustix said:

Nothing! Thank you norbold. It was a test to see if 'Germany's favourite hamburger' would intervene. After some 10 years of 'dedication' by him to what I post he just cannot respond in some ways. And he did. Isn't there a quotation something like '...he seeks me here, he seeks me there, he seeks me everywhere?" And he has again! And will almost certainly emerge on this Post!

Not sure what you are on about John. The fact is, this is a thread that interests me as a Dons fan. Think you made a bit of a Wally of yourself with your Terry Mussett comments. You also started the day, by posting a confused smiley on my comment to Norbold, as if you just want to attract attention, which you seem to confirm in this post

As it was, I thought we were getting all matey. I even thanked you for your help in the Jimmy Gibb thread and you have also come onto the Charlie Spinks thread with a few photos.....

21 minutes ago, gustix said:

This is a thread called "Wimbledon Memories", which - I believe - is a place to share your memories of Wimbledon speedway. It is NOT a place where you come to deliberately provoke others, others who have a long-time and GENUINE knowledge and love of Wimbledon speedway (unlike yourself).

Is it really to much to expect you to act like a normal person, and post stuff you like, and ask questions to which you really don't know the answers? Most of the people on the BSF are intelligent enough to engage in regular conversation without you trying to stir things up...

31 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Not sure what you are on about John. The fact is, this is a thread that interests me as a Dons fan. Think you made a bit of a Wally of yourself with your Terry Mussett comments. You also started the day, by posting a confused smiley on my comment to Norbold, as if you just want to attract attention, which you seem to confirm in this post

As it was, I thought we were getting all matey. I even thanked you for your help in the Jimmy Gibb thread and you have also come onto the Charlie Spinks thread with a few photos.....

...and I still have no recollection of Terry Mussett as a Wimbledon rider. I even tried for information about him on ONE of the Facebooks group. Response - NIL.

However riders like Benny Kaufman and Jimmy Gibb - among many others - appear to be well known. 

2 minutes ago, gustix said:

...and I still have no recollection of Terry Mussett as a Wimbledon rider. I even tried for information about him on ONE of the Facebooks group. Response - NIL.

However riders like Benny Kaufman and Jimmy Gibb - among many others - appear to be well known. 

Not sure what you want to find out about terry ? His career stats were posted here, I think. The trouble is you ask for info, say for instance the Greta Thunberg thread or asking 7 or 8 weeks down the line what 'self-isolation' with Covid is, then don't respond or say, I have better things to do, when someone answers......is it any wonder people think you are strange and probably a 'troll' ?

What do you want to know about Terry other than his stats, maybe we can help you here?

13 minutes ago, chunky said:

This is a thread called "Wimbledon Memories", which - I believe - is a place to share your memories of Wimbledon speedway. It is NOT a place where you come to deliberately provoke others, others who have a long-time and GENUINE knowledge and love of Wimbledon speedway (unlike yourself).

Is it really to much to expect you to act like a normal person, and post stuff you like, and ask questions to which you really don't know the answers? Most of the people on the BSF are intelligent enough to engage in regular conversation without you trying to stir things up...

I first attended Wimbledon Speedway in May 1948. And was also there for the last speedway meeting in 2005. Over those years I was in contact with most of the Wimbledon riders when writing speedway items. The first time I wrote about Wimbledon was in 1952 for the long gone Speedway Gazette. I think I have the needed qualifications to write and comment on the club.

Just now, gustix said:

It seems like you are trying to convince everyone that Terry Mussett never rode for Wimbledon, and that this all some elaborate hoax that we've conjured up in an effort to fool you! It's not! Whether you remember him or not is irrelevant; he rode for us!

Why the hell you would make that comment about seeking info on him on a FB group is beyond me...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gustix said:

I first attended Wimbledon Speedway in May 1948. And was also there for the last speedway meeting in 2005. Over those years I was in contact with most of the Wimbledon riders when writing speedway items. The first time I wrote about Wimbledon was in 1952 for the long gone Speedway Gazette. I think I have the needed qualifications to write and comment on the club.

Do you not think that I have the "needed qualifications" to write and comment on the club? Or iris123?

Do we have to bow to your superiority - even when we know that WE are right, and you are just trying to dismiss what we say?

21 minutes ago, gustix said:

Seriously John, as others have rightly told you multiple times now, Terry Mussett rode plenty for them even i remember that... actually 80 odd matches according to a stats website i just checked.  After which he came to my team Reading for a spell. He wasn't the best but that's irrelevant. 

You're getting silly again with a few of your posts recently aren't you. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

Seriously John, as others have rightly told you multiple times now, Terry Mussett rode plenty for them even i remember that... actually 80 odd matches according to a stats website i just checked.  After which he came to my team Reading for a spell. He wasn't the best but that's irrelevant. 

You're getting silly again with a few of your posts recently aren't you. 

You are correct The Doctor. Time for me to move on and forget the subject. Thank you.

Getting back to to Wimbledon memories, the most recent issue of Backtrack has a feature on Wimbledon second half riders from the Backtrack era. Certainly rang some bells with the track obviously a magnet for young hopefuls in the early 70's, but less so in the later 80's.  Plenty went on to good careers elsewhere, others less so. From my time going to Plough Lane from 1981, Phil Vance was a regular as was Jay Pleece and other names like Ian Hunter, Paul Hilton and Chris Standen. 

• Like 1

Here is a picture of Terry Mussett in Wimbledon colours from the Wimbledon programme Dons v Stoke (National League) 30 July 1986. He also rode for the Dons in 1987 and 1988.

Terry-Mussett-1986.jpg

Edited by Robbie B

38 minutes ago, salty said:

Getting back to to Wimbledon memories, the most recent issue of Backtrack has a feature on Wimbledon second half riders from the Backtrack era. Certainly rang some bells with the track obviously a magnet for young hopefuls in the early 70's, but less so in the later 80's.  Plenty went on to good careers elsewhere, others less so. From my time going to Plough Lane from 1981, Phil Vance was a regular as was Jay Pleece and other names like Ian Hunter, Paul Hilton and Chris Standen. 

Paul Dowdall, Rocky Coutts, Rob Jones went on a little and Mal Bedkopper I think another who done a couple of seasons

• Like 1

Rob Jones appeared on the scene in 1972, stayed for a couple of seasons then re-appeared in 1977. Never seemed to make it out of the reserve berth but was popular.

51 minutes ago, prodons said:

Rob Jones appeared on the scene in 1972, stayed for a couple of seasons then re-appeared in 1977. Never seemed to make it out of the reserve berth but was popular.

Was he a Kiwi or am I totally off the mark? I seem to remember he rode weaing cream coloured boots!