Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

so many fantastic memories of Wimbledon ...

going to away matches on the coach (when we had Chalfont, who was the driver we always wanted, there was one that was a good laugh, was it Rick?) or on the 'breakaway' minibus with Larry Rose.

the initiation on the coach and the ritual debagging of someone.

trying to get the back seat record on the coach.

mooning at people from the back window.

going to watch Tatum at Canterbury in a Junior Championship meeting and when Frank Ebdon excluded Tatum in one of his races, Larry Rose went round to batter him with his program board :D with Bembom Brothers in Margate before the meeting.

the world finals with the supporters club ... Norden & Gothenburg.

walking round and round the stadium meeting up with all the people we knew.

away matches when we knew we'd get stuffed but still spent the journey to the meetings ripping up paper.

like Steve has said, the small sweet kiosks in the depths under the stadium.

the arguments with the Ippo supporters on the 2nd bend terracing .. they always supported Siggy and we always called him a fag.

the big meetings we had there ... Laurels, Spring Classic, Commonwealth Final, some games thing they had there etc

getting cheers from the first bend crowd when i won a race, punched the air and ended up on the stock car track.

going to have a chat with Maido in my lunch break at the speedway office window.

the list could go on and on ... so many memories, so many great people, riders and supporters.

Jack Parker [belle Vue captain] vs brother Norman [Wimbledon captain]

Those two great riders knew each others styles as no other did. It was often said that they were telepathic. Such battles they had at both tracks - neither would give half an inch [we didn't have the invidious centimetres then!] leeway to the other.

Each time they were pitted against each other the supporting riders were regarded as also-rans. Generally they finished first and second in their heats, but we never could forecast the winner at either Hyde Road or Plough Lane.

Has there been two such competitive siblings in speedway since the Parkers? I greatly doubt it!

Edited by Ron Butler

Who was your Uncle Ted ,shazzybird??

Might of been a long time ago Bobbath but he still is my Uncle :P

Ted Hubbard (Rye House/Hackney/Canterbury) like I say never a World Champion but he'll always be my hero :approve:

As you say Ted was not a world champion but he was a 100% trier who put heart and soul into the sport. He will be remembered by many for that reason.

Thanx Shazzybird-Ted Hubbard was after my time but I read about him-did he ride for other teams also???. I recall the Wimbledon of the mid sixties with Nygren,Luckhurst and Hedge as heat leaders-I also recall -I think -Bob Dugard, Mike Coomber,Jim Tebby and John Edwards.As a sidebar I lived in the same lodgings(briefly) as John Edwards had once lived in-he was there a year or so before I arrived-I recall the address-20 New Century Road, Laindon, Essex. But for the life of me can't recall the landlady's name.I think John lived for a spell after that in the US.Recall him being with Stoke and CH in PL days

I recall the Wimbledon of the mid sixties with Nygren,Luckhurst and Hedge as heat leaders-I also recall -I think -Bob Dugard, Mike Coomber,Jim Tebby and John Edwards.

Then there were Alan Cowland, Tony Childs, Geoff Hughes, Steve Chilman, Murray Burt, Leif Soderberg, Garry Middleton etc. Of course, before them were Messrs Harrfeldt, Nordin, McAuliffe, plus Ronnie Rolfe, Keith Whipp, and Roy Trigg.

Steve

It is strange no-one has mentioned Eddie Toogood's photo and badge stand.About the best in the country it was

One of my favourite memories has to be the guy outside selling all things speedway. Eddie I think his name was....

It is strange no-one has mentioned Eddie Toogood's photo and badge stand.About the best in the country it was

Absolutely... Don't forget, Dave Fairbrother used to help him also. Before Eddie, it was Alf Jarrett, who used to stand at the top of the steps going up to the Pit Bend terracing. Then, there was Alan, who used to wander round selling the magazines...

Who remembers the prize bingo in the grandstand???

Steve

One of my favourite memories has to be the guy outside selling all things speedway. Eddie I think his name was....

That's just too good to be true... :blink:

Who remembers the prize bingo in the grandstand???

Who remembers parties in the grandstand??? - once I recall live music.

I can recall doing the conga round the back of the greyhound betting windows at the top of the grandstand.

Another Eddie (I think) was a guy with a Harley Davidson who used to come with black leathers and (I think) a Belle Vue logo on the back. Spoke in an American accent - but I suspect he wasnt...

steve

Always remember Bobby Schwartz going into the crowd to sort out one of the pit bend loonies!!

Seeing Kelvin Tatum and Todd Wiltshire starting their careers. Hackney getting a 5-0 in the last heat to win the London Cup in 1989.

Who remembers parties in the grandstand??? - once I recall live music.

steve

Live music usually meant Reg Luckhurst and his band :o:D

Hackney getting a 5-0 in the last heat to win the London Cup in 1989.

Er Dons fans can probably blame ME for that! :rolleyes: I walked up the passage from the pits to the track with a certain Andy Galvin as the riders started to get ready for that last heat and I said, "We need a 5-1 to draw Andy or better still a 5-0 to win!" He simply replied "Right oh!" The rest is history! :wink:

Obviously I felt a tad guilty about that in my subsequent time as Wimbledon's P.R.O. and another interesting angle is that, on one of my trips to Oz myself and Todd were reminiscing over "the good old days" aided by a few tinnies. Todd confessed that Galvini was one rider he always had lots of trouble beating, and he said to me he didn't seem to succeed much in doing that back then! WON'T quote exactly what Todd said as I didn't think he was capable of using such lingo! :lol:

Here's the details of my first visit to Wimbledon Stadium:

Thursday 29th April 1948 Wimbledon Stadium, London

Wembley Lions 52

Belle Vue Aces 31 (National League Division One)

Wembley

Freddy Williams 2 3 1 2’ : 8 (1)

Tommy Price 1’ 3 3 1 : 8 (1

Split Waterman 3 1’ 3 3 : 10 (1)

Bill Gilbert 2’ 2 2’ 2’ : 8 (3)

George Wilks 3 3 2 3 : 11

Roy Craighead F 1 0 0 : 1

Bob Wells 2’ 3 : 5 (1)

George Saunders 0 1 : 1

Belle Vue

Bill Pitcher 0 0 1 : 1

Jack Parker 3 3 3 2’ : 11 (1)

Wally Lloyd 1 2 1’ 0 :4 (1)

Dent Oliver 0 1 1 F : 2

Jim Boyd E 0 0 0 : 0

Louis Lawson 2 2 1 3 : 8

Bill Rogers 0 2 : 2

Wally Hull 0 2 1 : 3

Bonus points in brackets.

It was a magical first away trip after only ever seeing speedway at New Cross in 1946 and 1947.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

Edited by speedyguy