British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Personal favourites.

I figured, but we were talking about most entertaining, that's all...

Edited by chunky

22 hours ago, gustix said:

You have rare confidence in my recognition abilities. Sadly I have no idea who the people concerned are.

Because on the other thread, you wondered where i got the notion that you claimed not to be able to identify Ivan Mauger....

I realise that I am probably not qualified to make posts on here, but in an effort to show that I do sometimes know what I am talking about, over the next few days, I will be posting a few Wimbledon pics from years gone by. These are not taken from any website, but from some of my old scrapbooks, so they would have originally been published in old magazines.

Here is German Alfred Rumrich, who appeared for the Dons in 1937, with a best score of 11 points in a challenge against Bristol. I know my fellow unqualified poster iris123 is very familiar with him.

alfredrumrich2.jpg

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Here a a pair of Dons from 1935 and 36, Eric Collins and Wal Phillips

collinsphillips2.jpg

Edited by chunky

1 hour ago, chunky said:

I figured, but we were talking about most entertaining, that's all...

To be honest I lost the plot...

Here is Les Wotton inside Lloyd Goffe.

wottongoffe2.jpg

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

To be honest I lost the plot...

Compared to others on here, you ain't lost nothing, Steve!

• Like 1

From 11th June 1948, here is a pic as described in the caption. Of course, the two London "Stars" both rode for the Dons. The Kangaroos won 49-35, and Norman Parker top-scored for London with 9+1.

stars2.jpg

Edited by chunky

18 minutes ago, chunky said:

Here is Les Wotton outside Lloyd Goffe.

wottongoffe.jpg

I do like these photos of the past...great action studies of a bygone age!

48 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I do like these photos of the past...great action studies of a bygone age!

There are plenty more where they came from! The great thing is that a lot of them aren't that well-known, so it's always nice to see pics for the first time. Unfortunately, the quality isn't always great (being taken from newspapers rather than glossy photos), but at least I have them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Here is Les Wotton outside Lloyd Goffe.

wottongoffe.jpg

I query the caption! But as usual expect to be proved wrong. My opinion is this is from a 1946 home Wimbledon match. Based on what can be judged as the helmet colours the riders are home Don Lloyd Goffe outside visiting New Cross rider Les Wotton. Of interest, in 1947 Wotton did join Wimbledon in a triangular deal. This took Oliver Hart from Wimbledon to Bradford. Bill Longley from Bradford to New Cross, and Wotton from New Cross to Wimbledon. Great action photo!

24 minutes ago, gustix said:

I query the caption! But as usual expect to be proved wrong. My opinion is this is from a 1946 home Wimbledon match. Based on what can be judged as the helmet colours the riders are home Don Lloyd Goffe outside visiting New Cross rider Les Wotton. Of interest, in 1947 Wotton did join Wimbledon in a triangular deal. This took Oliver Hart from Wimbledon to Bradford. Bill Longley from Bradford to New Cross, and Wotton from New Cross to Wimbledon. Great action photo!

You are of course correct, and I have changed the caption. Thank you.

Here is the New Zealand team (including several Dons) that beat Belle Vue at Hyde Road on June 2nd, 1953 (Coronation Day). The Kiwis won 55-53 thanks to a last heat 4-2 from Geoff Mardon and Ron Johnston against Ken Sharples and Louis Lawson. Mardon (13), and Johnston (12+2) were top scorers for the winning team, while the Aces were led by Sharples (14) and Lawson (11).

Back row: Maury Dunn, Geoff Mardon (Wim), Ron Johnston, Barry Briggs (Wim).
Front row: Merv Neil, Trevor Redmond, Ronnie Moore (Wim), Peter Clark.

nz19532.jpg

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Final one of the night...  Basil Harris leading team-mate Cyril Brine, from 1946 (I believe).

harris2.jpg

Edited by chunky

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 6:28 PM, iris123 said:

But on this fan poll he just gets into the top 10. Duncan Edwards not in there. But on another top 10 he is number 1, which shows how they can vary

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportbible.com/football/news-the-top-25-england-players-of-all-time-according-to-fans-20200328.amp.html

Often on the 'best-ever' lists featured on this forum we've seen riders of a bygone era overlooked. That seems to be the case with this list with players like  Raich Carter, Tommy Lawton and Cliff Bastin not included. And Beckham at number 4 with Greaves and Finney at 14 and 15 - the least said the better.

Edited by Split
Correction
  • Like 1