British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

5 minutes ago, prodons said:

Was that Viv Harwood? If so, hats off to him for all his valuable work over the years.

Yes

• Like 1

my dad was a groundsman and my mum walked the greyhounds round before the race, that's how they met.

my grandad also worked at the stadium

The most recent count of viewers to this thread was 40,994 views. That's far more than ever visited Wimbledon Stadium for speedway, greyhound racing or oval circuit car racing for one of their meetings. 

Edited by JohnHyam
punctuation

9 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

The most recent count of viewers to this thread was 40,994 views. That's far more than ever visited Wimbledon Stadium for speedway, greyhound racing or oval circuit car racing for one of their meetings. 

And?

14 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

Probably because the capacity was around 20,000 at its peak…

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

Apologies for using a Link - a practice of mine that tends so annoy some BSF members!!! - but use of this Link should (hopefully!) detail riders who rode for the Dons over th years:

https://londonspeedways.proboards.com/board/76/london-team-squads

It's not that you post links. It's that you CONSTANTLY post links without saying anything - and the links you post are usually just for self-promotion. I've told you MANY times - TALK to people.

Edited by chunky

9 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

Apologies for using a Link - a practice of mine that tends so annoy some BSF members!!! - but use of this Link should (hopefully!) detail riders who rode for the Dons over the years:

https://londonspeedways.proboards.com/board/76/london-team-squads

I should add, although it's deviating from its actual intent in regard to Wimbledon , the Link also details riders who rode for all London tracks in those far off days when there was speedway in the capital. 

Edited by JohnHyam

10 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

Well. Think I have looked at this thread a few times and you definitely have as well ….. you haven’t told us anything with that figure 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

This is just a comparison of how many Posts this thread has received. It's not as the usual detractors to my Posts intimate that at one time I was passing a comment in regard to crowd attendances at the stadium. It was about how many viewers there had been to the three.  Now stand by for the usual spate of contradictions.

Edited by JohnHyam
spelling error

18 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

This is just a comparison of how many Posts this thread has received. It's not as the usual detractors to my Posts intimate that at one time I was passing a comment in regard to crowd attendances at the stadium. It was about how many viewers there had been to the three.  Now stand by for the usual spate of contradictions.

I started a thread that has over 215,000 views !!!- that`s far more people that have been in my living room :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

I started a thread that has over 215,000 views !!!- that`s far more people that have been in my living room :D

Big deal!!! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH WIMBLEDON!

Edited by JohnHyam
spelling error
  • Haha 1

I did see a photo earlier of a new bar that is called the Speedway bar with a Dons emblem on it. Guess this is at the Wimbledon football stadium ? 

2 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

Big deal!!! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH WIMBLEDON!

Says the man who is asking about pre-war action in France on a thread about Ted Spittles...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

7 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Is it buggery.   I bet millions of people visited Wimbledon stadium.

I agree PotteringAround - to a certain extent that 'millions' attended Wimbledon Stadium over the years it was open. But Wimbledon Stadium was NEVER big enough to house a 40,994 attendance for ONE meeting!

Edited by JohnHyam