British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

10 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

I anticipate you want me to stop posting on BSF forums? I now realise there is not a place for me as a debater on what I read. 

not at all, just don't constantly be so cantankerous

Does anyone have details of the first 1928 speedway meeting at Wimbledon please?

Edited by Guest

47 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

Does anyone have details of the first 1928 speedway meeting at Wimbledon please?

28 May, 1928. Frank Arthur narrowly defeated Vic Huxley  in the Golden Helmet final in a time of 89.3, with Cecil Brown third, Billy Lamont having blown a tyre on the second lap. This was followed by an "International Match Race" in which Vic Huxley beat Roger Frogley 2-1, the losing rider falling in each race! Then came the Wimbledon Handicap, in which the final was won by Frank Arthur from Jim Kempster and Eric Spencer in a time of 96.4. There was also the Sidecar Scratch, won by Freddie Blackpool.

Edited by norbold

Talking of Wimbledon memories, here are my top 3 meetings from Plough Lane;

• England v USA 1980 Test Match - packed stadium, 54-54 draw and a fabulous atmosphere
  • Tommy Jansson Memorial 1983 - Kelvin won it in his first year!
  • Wimbledon v Berwick 1988 KOC Semi-Final - The Montine Dons trailed by 20 points after the first leg at Berrington Lough, but inspired by Kevin Jolly who broke the track record in Heat 1, we powered home and defeated the Bandits by 30 points on the night. (Sadly we lost the all London final against Hackney).

14 minutes ago, prodons said:

• England v USA 1980 Test Match - packed stadium, 54-54 draw and a fabulous atmosphere

that was brilliant

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevehone said:

that was brilliant

I HATE YOU LOT!!!

I had to miss the bloody thing as I was laid up with chicken pox...

• Haha 1

it really was a VERY good meeting, think it was sponsored by Durex too

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stevehone said:

it really was a VERY good meeting, think it was sponsored by Durex too

Arguably it was the last great meeting at Plough Lane in terms of prestige and impact..

2 hours ago, prodons said:

Arguably it was the last great meeting at Plough Lane in terms of prestige and impact..

That's it! 42 years on and you lot are still rubbing it in!!!

Edited by chunky
  • Haha 1

On 1/25/2022 at 11:25 PM, JohnHyam said:

In the 1946-49 era at Wimbledon there was a reserve rider named Jimmy Coy. I think he also had spells on loan with Eastbourne, Cradley Heath and Oxford? Does any member have fuller details on his speedway career please?

Edited by stevehone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehone said:

Looks like our scrapbooks!

12 hours ago, prodons said:

Yes, I was going to say it was a massive and fairly rapid fall from grace for the old place when a decade later it was so empty and on the brink of closure 

15 hours ago, prodons said:

• Tommy Jansson Memorial 1983 - Kelvin won it in his first year!
  • Wimbledon v Berwick 1988 KOC Semi-Final - The Montine Dons trailed by 20 points after the first leg at Berrington Lough, but inspired by Kevin Jolly who broke the track record in Heat 1, we powered home and defeated the Bandits by 30 points on the night. (Sadly we lost the all London final against Hackney).

Pardons the 1980 test match was probably the best meeting I saw at Wimbledon. I was sitting on the 3rd and 4th bend in the seats that had the wooden front, with a Union Jack flag (could not find an England flag anyway) that was draped on the front and sounding my air horn.

There are few things I wished to have seen at Wimbledon, such as Ronnie Moore ride the track and watched racing on the original larger Wimbledon race track. So if anyone knows how to built a TARDIS please let me know.

Edited by RobbieB
  • Like 1

Unbelievably I just stumbled this episode of The Bill from 1996 entirely filmed on location at Plough Lane.

Series 14 Episode 38 “Waiting for Frank” on the UKTV Play app

See how many familiar parts of the stadium you can recognise! It looks like the episode is only available for another 2 days…