British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

I think the situation was Speedway could have continued,but the promoter refused the deal on offer and no nobody stepped up to take his place

On 1/13/2019 at 8:57 PM, gustix said:

Probably Spedeworth better absorbed rent at Wimbledon Stadium by virtue of attracting a larger crowd base to their short circuit car events?

Apart from the rent, the GRA also got a percentage of the gate money from the car meetings. It was a very good deal from the stadiums point of view, with very little work needed to prepare the stadium for cars compared to the mess that speedway can make. It was easy money for the landlords. 

On 1/15/2019 at 5:36 PM, cityrebel said:

Apart from the rent, the GRA also got a percentage of the gate money from the car meetings. It was a very good deal from the stadiums point of view, with very little work needed to prepare the stadium for cars compared to the mess that speedway can make. It was easy money for the landlords. 

Thanks for that answer cityrebel. I have been puzzled as to how the car racing managed continue whereas speedway ceased at Wimbledon. Your answer has finally clarified the situation for me.

Edited by Guest

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:00 AM, gustix said:

It's not basically a question of the promotional costs to participants at speedway or short circuit car meetings. The cost is the RENT charged by the stadium to the promoters. I am certain it was no cheaper/lower for Spedeworth Motorsports to stage their events than it was for a speedway meeting. And Spedeworth as such are familiar in regard to rentals for speedway - they are landlords at both Ipswich and Mildenhall. Probably Spedeworth better absorbed rent at Wimbledon by virtue of attracting a larger crowd base to their events.

They are not landlords at Foxhall Stadium they have a lease there

Foxhall Stadium is owned by Ipswich Speedway Limited

2 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

They are not landlords at Foxhall Stadium they have a lease there

Foxhall Stadium is owned by Ipswich Speedway Limited

You are correct in regard to Ipswich mickthemuppet regarding the lease held by Spedeworth Motorsport. But I think it is for 100 years and therefore Spedeworth are de facto landlords for its duration. This I am certain means that Ipswich Speedway are therefore sub-tenants to Spedeworth Motorsport and not the actual site owners Ipswich Speedway Limited.

A warning back in 1985

Looking back it is surprising just how empty it all feels even for a London derby.Only looks like the pits bend had a large group.The Grandstand etc look sparse and the racing(well 80% very poor).Guess I was part of the cause,as during this period I hardly attended,but did really enjoy the mid 80s

For years in the late 1970s into 1992 I reported on many Wimbledon home and away matches - but never saw any matches. I used to phone the team/track manager (for most years it was dear old Cyril Maidment) after the match for the scorers and any highlights of the racing, updates on riders and other happenings.

However, in the Conference League period I attended most of the matches as well as the regular press events the club staged.

Sadly, I must confess that for many years I was a regular visitor to Wimbledon for the stock car aka short circuit car race meetings.

Edited by Guest

And that was interesting once or twice,but not really necessary to repeat these things over and over on any number of threads.Guess though you do have quite a bit to add to those car racing forumsB)

47 minutes ago, iris123 said:

And that was interesting once or twice,but not really necessary to repeat these things over and over on any number of threads.Guess though you do have quite a bit to add to those car racing forumsB)

I dedicate considerable time to them on Facebook. I especially find the USA and Argentine midget car racing of interest, but also follow the main British car formulas the non-contact National Hot Rods and the excellent contact Brisca F1 classes.

BTW I see nothing wrong in being repetitive. Many users of the BSF may not be as dedicated to reading and criticising my Posts as some other users of the forum appear to be! Remember - hopefully - there are some first time readers of my Posts.

Edited by Guest
spelling error.

14 minutes ago, gustix said:

I dedicate considerable tim to them on Facebook. I especially find the USA and Argentine midget car racing of interest, but also follow the main British car formulas the non-contact National Hot Rods and the excellent contact Brisca F1 classes.

BTW I see nothing wrong in being repetitive. Many users of the BSF may not be as dedicated to reading and criticising my Posts as some other users of the forum appear to be! Remember - hopefully - there are some first time readers of my Posts.

Just a shame when someone tries to give a thread a new impulse,you tend to bring it back to the same old,same old.It does get a bit boring

No rule against it,just as there is no rule against criticising a post

8 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Just a shame when someone tries to give a thread a new impulse,you tend to bring it back to the same old,same old.It does get a bit boring

No rule against it,just as there is no rule against criticising a post

There's such a simple answer to all this and how you can easily avoid being upset at what I post. When you see a Post by me just by-pass it and move on to a possible new item. Your obvious preoccupation and dedication to criticise me will  them hopefully be resolved for you?

Edited by Guest
spelling error

1 minute ago, gustix said:

There's such a simple answer to all this and how you can easily avoid being upset at what I post. When you see a Post by me just by-pass it and move on to a possible new item. Your obvious preoccupation to criticise me will  them hopefully be resolved for you?

Well in the guidelines....

Trolls

A troll is a contributor whose sole intent in posting is to be a disturbance to the community. Trolls may post excessively inflammatory or offensive messages with the intention of upsetting people, "flame" or insult, crash an appreciation thread to attack the subject being appreciated, or post the same message repeatedly on multiple boards to take up space and disrupt the forums. Posters engaging in this type of behaviour lose their rights of membership and will be removed.

15 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Well in the guidelines....

Trolls

A troll is a contributor whose sole intent in posting is to be a disturbance to the community. Trolls may post excessively inflammatory or offensive messages with the intention of upsetting people, "flame" or insult, crash an appreciation thread to attack the subject being appreciated, or post the same message repeatedly on multiple boards to take up space and disrupt the forums. Posters engaging in this type of behaviour lose their rights of membership and will be removed.

Wise counsel indeed. There is a REPORT facility available. Please make use of it if you feel the need to so. In journalism a basic adage is to repeat a point of view until it is accepted. There is nothing wrong with that. Now your latest ongoing criticism of me has had its airing can we get back to Wimbledon Memories please?

Edited by Guest

Does any Wimbledon supporter remember Mick Piquet who had a few Plough Lane outings in the late 1940s-early 1950s period? I have a hazy recollection that he may have been a graduate from cycle speedway.