British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

John Mills

Anybody know what John is up to. Usually a second stringer-but a trier-as I recall it-he rode for Stoke in a match in 1963-wasn't supposed to and then had his points rescinded. Stoke thereby lost the match and Wolverhampton got the title as a result.Anyone else recall this.

• Like 1

Anybody know what John is up to. Usually a second stringer-but a trier-as I recall it-he rode for Stoke in a match in 1963-wasn't supposed to and then had his points rescinded. Stoke thereby lost the match and Wolverhampton got the title as a result.Anyone else recall this.

Sad to report that Millsy was killed in an ultralight aircraft accident out here in Australia a few years ago. He arrived in Melbourne for the 68/69 season where he was instantly a star when the likes of Neil Street, Peter Moore and John Dehurst were the main men, and instantly settled into the Aussie lifestyle. He used to ride a self made JAP with a swinging arm rear suspension that he said used to handle like and ESO. He ramained one of our top riders for a few seasons before seeking other sursuits.He was well liked by everyone and was just a great guy. He is sadly missed.

• Like 1

What a dam shame-glad he enjoyed Aussie tho'

John & his mate Triggy rode passengers for the two Aussie sidecar riders who were visiting in the mid 60's and were eventually pulled out by the powers that be who considered it too dangerous! Very sad to ride speedway and then lose his life in an ultralight. :sad:

• Like 1

Hi, im new here and was looking for info on my dad for my brother, imagine my surprise to find this posting. Yes sad to say Dad passed away on 19th March 2003 after crashing his Gyrocopter. He lived life to the fullest, even starting a short lived return to speedway a few years before his untimely death. Would love to hear from anyone who has any memories,stories or anecdotes to share. Thanks heaps

Dawn

• Like 2

Hi Dawn I knew John from our school days, used to go with him as his mechanic when he rode for Rayleigh Rockets and Long Eaton in the 60's knew his mum, dad and his granddad he lived at Cromwell Road Wimbledon, bought my first speedway bike from him can tell you so much more please get in touch.

• Like 1

Hi, im new here and was looking for info on my dad for my brother, imagine my surprise to find this posting. Yes sad to say Dad passed away on 19th March 2003 after crashing his Gyrocopter. He lived life to the fullest, even starting a short lived return to speedway a few years before his untimely death. Would love to hear from anyone who has any memories,stories or anecdotes to share. Thanks heaps

Dawn

Hi Dawn, get in touch with me I knew your dad very well, he was a very good friend.

• Like 2

Hi Dawn Hope you get this mail, new john from school days, you came to our house in the 80's when you visited England, your dad was a good mate.

• Like 1

Hi Dawn Hope you get this mail, new john from school days, you came to our house in the 80's when you visited England, your dad was a good mate.

Why don't you send Dawn a PM about the reactivation of this thread?

Here's a Link to the speedway career of John Mills:

http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/1891/john-mills

Edited by Guest

Boston Five - pretty certain this was the same John Mills. I seem to remember him mainly riding for Long Eaton as a steady second string. (?Provincial League and early British League?)

Weymouth meetings:

Scored 10 for New Cross "B" 21 June 1963

9 for London Select on 5 July 1963

7 (4 rides) in the Wessex Championships on2 August 1963 - he fell in the semi finals

11 in the Weymouth Open Championship on 18 May 1964 - finished joint 3rd overall with Norman Strachan

7 FOR Weymouth v Newpool on 28 June 1964

6 FOR Weymouth at Newport v Newpool on 19 June 1964

2 FOR Weymouth at Ipswich on 21 June 1964 (2 rides only one of which was a fall)

6 FOR Weymouth at Rayleigh on 1 August 1964

The 1964 team meetings were in the Metropolitan League

Sorry to have gone on a bit but once I start looking through old Weymouth programmes I find it difficult to stop!!!

Purely from memory (somewhat dodgy nowadays!) I think I once read that he had worked as a steeplejack at one time.

:)

My understanding was the accident was up here in Queensland can that be confirmed. I remember John at Rayleigh would have been 1963

Boston Five - pretty certain this was the same John Mills. I seem to remember him mainly riding for Long Eaton as a steady second string. (?Provincial League and early British League?)

Weymouth meetings:

Scored 10 for New Cross "B" 21 June 1963

9 for London Select on 5 July 1963

7 (4 rides) in the Wessex Championships on2 August 1963 - he fell in the semi finals

11 in the Weymouth Open Championship on 18 May 1964 - finished joint 3rd overall with Norman Strachan

7 FOR Weymouth v Newpool on 28 June 1964

6 FOR Weymouth at Newport v Newpool on 19 June 1964

2 FOR Weymouth at Ipswich on 21 June 1964 (2 rides only one of which was a fall)

6 FOR Weymouth at Rayleigh on 1 August 1964

The 1964 team meetings were in the Metropolitan League

Sorry to have gone on a bit but once I start looking through old Weymouth programmes I find it difficult to stop!!!

Purely from memory (somewhat dodgy nowadays!) I think I once read that he had worked as a steeplejack at one time.

:)

New Cross "B" - 1963.

The days of Philp and Coffin?

On 29/06/2017 at 9:14 PM, SHALEWAY69 said:

My understanding was the accident was up here in Queensland can that be confirmed. I remember John at Rayleigh would have been 1963

I can confirm that sadly dad was killed in a gyrocopter accident at Emu Park Queensland on 19 March 2003