British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

Speedway's Most-travelled Riders

Buzz Burrows must have ridden for a fair few clubs, Belle Vue, Wimbledon, Middlesbrough, but I'm sure there are more.

Wayne Carter also seemed to ride for quite a few teams.

Buzz Burrows must have ridden for a fair few clubs, Belle Vue, Wimbledon, Middlesbrough, but I'm sure there are more.

Buzz started at Scunthorpe in 1984; moved to Edinburgh the next year; and then was riding at Middlesboro in '87 before taking a five year sabbatical from the sport. :cry:

When he returned he rode for Glasgow in '92.

In 1994, Buzz made a few appearances for home city club Sheffield ; before - as you point out - becoming a Belle Vue Ace in the top league.

He first appeared in the third tier the following year riding regularly with Buxton as well as in the PL for Long Eaton.

Then began his long association with Stoke ('97-2003) before moving south to become a legend in London at Wimbledon. And then, of course, this last year back in the north east at Cleveland.

Disregarding a couple of solitary appearances mid-90s for Coventry & Hull, I make that 11 British clubs.

And then, of course, the big question is: where will Buzz be in 2008..??!! :unsure:

:D

Norbold, I didn't mention Norwich with Wal Morton pre-war as the Stars were listed in Moxey63's listing of his post-war tracks. Wal had enough teams without any "doubling-up".

Edited by star ghost

I think some records get blurred by adding guest bookings. George Major's teams were as follows : 1959/60 Aldershot. Also open bookings with Yarmouth and St. Austell. 1961 Signed Oxford (Promoter Dicky Worth) Loaned to Newcastle. 1962 Loaned to Neath. 1963 Loaned to St. Austell. 1964 Signed Oxford (Rodney & ?) then to Norwich, swapped for Jimmy Gooch. Cradley Heath ( breakaway league 64/65) 1966/7 Sheffield (rider control) 1968/9 Leicester (transfer request) 1969/70 Oxford (Danny Dunton) 1970 Div 2 Doncaster, 1971/75 Birmingham. So how many teams is that then. :wink:

Norbold, I didn't mention Norwich with Wal Morton pre-war as the Stars were listed in Moxey63's listing of his post-war tracks. Wal had enough teams  without any "doubling-up".

With the all 'return visits' Norwich, Wimbledon, Bradford, West Ham - how many teams did he ride for?

Don't forget his brief 1964 Metropolitan League spell!

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

I think some records get blurred by adding guest bookings. George Major's teams were as follows :  1959/60 Aldershot. Also open bookings with Yarmouth and St. Austell. 1961  Signed Oxford (Promoter Dicky Worth) Loaned to Newcastle. 1962 Loaned to Neath. 1963 Loaned to St. Austell. 1964 Signed Oxford (Rodney & ?) then to Norwich, swapped for Jimmy Gooch. Cradley Heath ( breakaway league 64/65) 1966/7 Sheffield (rider control) 1968/9 Leicester (transfer request) 1969/70 Oxford (Danny Dunton) 1970 Div 2 Doncaster, 1971/75 Birmingham.  So how many teams is that then. :wink:

According to Peter Morrish's British Speedway Leagues 1946-64 George Major did not appear in an NL fixture for Norwich. Of course, this may be an error, and if anyone could correct this with some concrete evidence, I would be grateful.

Also, looking through The Complete History of the British League, George is recorded as appearing once for Belle Vue (1971), once for Glasgow (1972), and finally for Wolverhampton in both 1972 and 1973.

Neither of these publications include guest appearances.

Steve

With the all 'return visits' Norwich, Wimbledon, Bradford, West Ham - how many teams did he ride for?

What I have for Wal Morton so far is:

Bradford

Coventry

Glasgow WC

Hackney

Harringay

Ipswich

Liverpool

Middlesbrough

Newcastle

Norwich

Odsal

West Ham

Weymouth

Wimbledon

It has also been claimed elsewhere that he appeared for Motherwell, although I have been unable to find confirmation of that.

Steve

You are correct Chunky - George Major signed for Norwich but only rode in "Easter Cup" and "Britannia Cup" matches for us. His team slot was eventually filled by Sandor Levai by the time the League got underway in the 1964 season. George went back to the Provincial "Black" League as I recall riding for Cradley.

You are correct Chunky - George Major signed for Norwich but only rode in "Easter Cup" and "Britannia Cup" matches for us.

Thanks for that. Of course, I would think that the Britannia Cup would count as an "official" fixture, so I will include Norwich in the list.

Steve

Also, looking through The Complete History of the British League, George is recorded as appearing once for Belle Vue (1971), once for Glasgow (1972), and finally for Wolverhampton in both 1972 and 1973.

Neither of these publications include guest appearances.

Steve

Might not have been called "guest" but they were one off rides. George was in the second division by then. these teams were a rider short for some reason and used a div 2 rider. There was some controversy when George wanted to drop down and ride for Doncaster as he was considered to good for the lower league, however no first div club came in for him so eventually he was allowed to go. So he would probably have been considered a good stand in. :wink:

Might not have been called "guest" but they were one off rides. George was in the second division by then. these teams were a rider short for some reason and used a div 2 rider. There was some controversy when George wanted to drop down and ride for Doncaster as he was considered to good for the lower league, however no first div club came in for him so eventually he was allowed to go. So he would probably have been considered a good stand in. :wink:

This is where we could have a problem... I do know that George was in Div 2, and I know that they were apparently one-offs. However, as they were not regarded as guest appearances by the said publication, I am reluctant to classify them as such. I know where you're coming from, but even back then, there were deals being done between first and second division teams, both long and short term. Unless we know the specifics of each case, it is difficult to go against what is printed. Of course, I can check back through the old Speedway Stars to see what they say.

Steve

Chunky, sorry mate, I could be causing the problem. I have read your original post again and you don't say clubs contracted to, so I might be on the wrong track (no pun intended). The list I posted was taken from material compiled, supplied by George for a possible book, (put on the back burner since his heart attack eighteen months ago). These clubs, except the open licence tracks, were the ones he signed for. Oh and Brian, the California days were only practise sessions when he first bought a bike. His brother Mick also had a few spins but didn't take to it. :wink:

Looking at some old stuff yesterday I found Wal Morton riding for Bristol in the 1936 Provincial League matches. I think he was on "Loan" from Wimbledon who were the same promotion in those days.

Glyn Taylor must be included here, god knows how many clubs but off the top of my head,

Belle Vue

Berwick

Crewe

Stoke

Reading

Edinburgh

Sheffield

Newcastle

there is more i'm sure.