British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Gerry Jackson

The thread on waterden Road brought to mind Gerry- though primarily associated with Wimbledon wasn't he one of the ex NL riders who went to Hackney in 65 to help them compete in BL-anyone know if he is still around

The thread on waterden Road brought to mind Gerry- though primarily associated with Wimbledon wasn't he one of the ex NL riders who went to Hackney in 65 to help them compete in BL-anyone know if he is still around

Gosh Bob he must be old by now. I remember him coming to ride against Sheffield as a kid and he looked old then! He used to have a brush cut in them days.

Now we are the old guys Bob!

Will you be coming to Paris Spedway this year? .....They hope to hve practices this year so I should get you kittted out and on a bike again!

Tiger Tom

Hold it with the"we must be old guys" Ton-hopefully will get to Paris this year-I recall Gerry's brush cut and I think he must have been the top heat leader for Hackney in 1965-just ahead of Colin Pratt and Roy Trigg.Anybody else out there in forumland,other than us Canadians, remember or know what has become of Gerry.

Gosh Bob he must be old by now. I remember him coming to ride against Sheffield as a kid and he looked old then! He used to have a brush cut in them days.

Now we are the old guys Bob!

Will you be coming to Paris Spedway this year? .....They hope to hve practices this year so I should get you kittted out and on a bike again!

Tiger Tom

Gerry Jackson also rode for Rayleigh and I believe his father was a pioneer Wembley rider? :unsure: I think his name was Jack Jackson.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

He'll be 81 if he's still about.

I seem to remember that when he retired from Speedway he took up working with Royal Mail and was a postman in Sunbury-on-Thames (just down the road from me).

Also recall that he passed away not so long ago.

I seem to remember that when he retired from Speedway he took up working with Royal Mail and was a postman in Sunbury-on-Thames (just down the road from me).

Almost correct. - After speedway he was working from a little shed in his back garden doing speedway engine tuning for many riders including Barry Briggs. I think he got frustrated after a while with his pressure of work - as you always have to say yes to meet riders' deadlines. I think he was also frustrated by the quality of the workmanship of the brand new (2 valve) engines coming from the Jawa factory. Quite a few riders had new engines rebuilt before using them. He also used to say some of the new parts were so badly machined they were partly worn out when they arrived.

He suddenly decided - that's it - and went for a non pressure job (postman) and gave up his valuable skills. I recall my father seeing him riding to work on a moped wearng a tatty much-used speedway helmet.

Sadly Gerry passed away in 1997 after a long illness. he was renowned for his tuning skills with a preference for the Jap.

Tony

I thought Gerry started in Speedway at Rayleigh Weir stadium.

He had some great matches for Wimbledon where he was used as a second string to the Bob Andrews, Cyril Brine, Ron How & Ronnie Moore line-up. Gerry and Cyril Maidment made the team a really strong outfit

Sorry to hear Gerry has passed-anyone know when he retired-I know he was with Hackney in both 65 and 66-after that not sure.

Sorry to hear Gerry has passed-anyone know when he retired-I know he was with Hackney in both 65 and 66-after that not sure.

He rode for Hackney in 1967 too before retiring.

Yes, he rode for Wembley from 1929 - 1932.
i may be wrong but i belive his father was the pre war leicester and england rider syd jackson who is buried in my local church at boldre hants he has two other sons both of whom are sucessful estate agents this story was co oberated by peter lipscombe of v.s.m when i met him. Edited by oddfossengen