British Speedway Forum
SHALEWAY69

Bluey Scott

I am searching for details of Blueys records when he rode for Southampton and Ipswich in 1955. Looking for meetings, Heat details and points but any small detail will help.

Regards Tony

I recall Bluey from when he was at Glasgow and Middlesbro'-how is he doing??

I recall Bluey from when he was at Glasgow and Middlesbro'-how is he doing??

Bluey is in good health and living in Queensland. Still watches speedway at Labrador and takes a keen interest in speedway.

When I see the name Bluey Scott it always brings back the same memory from the mid-1960s. In those days tracks ran a rather more varied diet of events, and one recurring theme was the "international" matches.

Scotland - or at least, Ian Hoskins' definition of "Scotland" - would race against England, Poland, Russia or something called "Overseas", which was broadly a team drawn from Kiwi and Aussie riders. Thus it came to pass that George Hunter and Bluey Scott came to be paired together; the old format gave each pair six rides. Bluey rode for Glasgow White City and George of course was a Monarch. Strange bedfellows indeed, but for some reason they had an amazing capability to teamride together.

I've seen many examples of fine team riding over the years, but if any two riders ever practised the art better then George and Bluey then I missed it.

When I see the name Bluey Scott it always brings back the same memory from the mid-1960s. In those days tracks ran a rather more varied diet of events, and one recurring theme was the "international" matches.

Scotland - or at least, Ian Hoskins' definition of "Scotland" - would race against England, Poland, Russia or something called "Overseas", which was broadly a team drawn from Kiwi and Aussie riders. Thus it came to pass that George Hunter and Bluey Scott came to be paired together; the old format gave each pair six rides. Bluey rode for Glasgow White City and George of course was a Monarch. Strange bedfellows indeed, but for some reason they had an amazing capability to teamride together.

I've seen many examples of fine team riding over the years, but if any two riders ever practised the art better then George and Bluey then I missed it.

Interesting that you mention that . I was speaking to Bluey last week and he happened to say that he and George had a great understanding, but Bluey find it difficult to ride with Charlie Monk who had a different style and was more an individual rider.George was capped for Scotland 36 times, bBuey 8 times which is not bad for an Aussie. as a southerner I never saw any of those matches but they must have been classic speedway especially the Poles and Russians.

tony

Interesting that you mention that . I was speaking to Bluey last week and he happened to say  that he and George had a great understanding, but Bluey find it difficult to ride with Charlie Monk who had a different style and was more an individual rider.George was capped for Scotland 36 times, bBuey 8 times which is not bad for an Aussie. as a southerner I never saw any of those matches but they must have been classic speedway especially the Poles and Russians.

tony

Yes, they were classics, Shaleway. The fact that I can remember them forty years on is testimony to that.

What made them classics isn't quite so easy to define though. On one wet night (and wet nights were never George's favourite) we were nearly whitewashed by the Poles, yet the sense of occasion watching these wonderful and apparently fearless racers more than made up for the poor home showing. The first appearance at Meadowbank by the Russians was something which we had all been looking forward to for months. They were such an entertaining team, and tremendous ambassadors for their country. Bear in mind also that Edinburgh was a Provincial League track, and here before our very eyes were world class greats like Igor Plechanov and Boris Samorodov. It didn't get much better than that for us kids who didn't have all that much else by way of affordable entertainment.

It's interesting that Bluey still remembers those days in detail. Next time you speak with him, tell him quite a few of us do too! Oh yes - and say thank you to him for that memory.

To Ian:But surely the first appearance of the Russians at Meadowbank was in 65 when Edinburgh were in the BL-they would not have been allowed to ride there in 64 as Edinburgh and other PL tracks were blacked.

To Ian:But surely the first appearance of the Russians at Meadowbank was in 65 when Edinburgh were in the BL-they would not have been allowed to ride there in 64 as Edinburgh and other PL tracks were blacked.

You're right of course, Bobbath. What I should have said is what a privilege it was to see these guys in our early days in the top flight - along with legends like Briggo, Nigel Boocock and the rest.

Incidentally, the Russians raced in Scotland I think on two consecutive years - once at Meadowbank and once at White City. For the life of me I can't remember which way round it was though.

Wouldn't you just love to see a Russian touring team on the PL tracks this year?

Did Bluey ever ride for Leicester? I ask because I've got an old black/white photo of him in one of my albums (I'll have to sort it out) which I took en route somewhere so I presumed he was a Leicester rider. But perhaps not because back in my teens/early 20's I probably took a photo of anyone connected to speedway. :D

Did Bluey ever ride for Leicester?  I ask because I've got an old black/white photo of him in one of my albums (I'll have to sort it out) which I took en route somewhere so I presumed he was a Leicester rider.  But perhaps not because back in my teens/early 20's I probably took a photo of anyone connected to speedway.  :D

Bluey rode for Motherwell 1951-54, Southampton 1955 Ipswich from july 1955. then returned to Australia 1955. came back to uk in 1963 rode for Long Eaton but did live in Leicester for a year. then rode Middlesboro 1964. Glasgow 1965-66. returned to Australia 1966 and was rider promoter at Rockhampton QLD to 1969.

Tony

Thanks for the details. I probably watched him ride at Long Eaton then because I used to go over there as well.

I've found that photo of him. http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2752081620047007148VBPATs

We were on holiday in Scotland in 1965 and this was taken at Cowdenbeath wherever that is! :lol: What a handsome chap! But notice the mode of transport back then when riders used to either carry the bike (just the one) on the back of their car or have a clapped out van. Not like that today. :P

By the way what was Bluey's real name or was that it? Possibly, being as I know someone who called their child Blue.

Thanks for the details.  I probably watched him ride at Long Eaton then because I used to go over there as well.

I've found that photo of him.  http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2752081620047007148VBPATs

We were on holiday in Scotland in 1965 and this was taken at Cowdenbeath wherever that is!  :lol: What a handsome chap!  But notice the mode of transport back then when riders used to either carry the bike (just the one) on the back of their car or have a clapped out van.  Not like that today.  :P

By the way what was Bluey's real name or was that it?  Possibly, being as I know someone who called their child Blue.

Great photo, as you say a good looking bloke, still is at 78, plays golf and likes walking. reall name Eric, Bluey because of his red hair or was red an australian term for red heads do not know the origins.!Not sure what the story is with Cowdenbeath i think they only ran open meetings.

Thanks for the details. He doesn't look like an Eric to me. :D

Glad to hear he is well, active & enjoying life. I wonder if he still has that mop of red hair?!

1965 it was Scotland 51 USSR 57 at Meadowbank

1966: Scotland 57(B SCOTT 7+1) USSR 51 at Glasgow

dont forget bluey had a big pools win and was able to invest in top class equipment .charlie knott sent him plymouth where his carrer really took off to such an extent charlie tried to get him back to southampton but the control board refused permission jack also made to the british final as resevre just gos to show what money can do for your carrer hope this help you oddy

Edited by oddfossengen