British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Olle Nygren

I'm off to interview Swedish great Olle Nygren tomorrow (Monday, Feb 4), who will be featured prominently in our next issue of VSM.

Do you have any questions in particular that you'd like me to ask Olle? Anything about him, or his long career, that you have always wanted to know?

Just post your (sensible!) questions on here, and I'll do the rest...

Any thoughts on Olle's career that you'd like to share on this forum?

Cheers,

Tony Mac

1.Who does he think was better Ove Fundin or Tony Rickardsson?

2.Arne Bergström was very strict and Olle had a reputation of being wild.Did the relationship work well or were there many arguments?

3.What are his memories of that great season in 1965 when the Dons just lost out to West Ham for the BL title?

4.Was he disappointed to leave Wimbledon when Ronnie returned or was it time for a change?

5.Was there ever a rider he went out to "teach a lesson" to so to speak?Who were his toughest opponents?

I'd just like to say Olle was my first speedway hero when i started going as a kid in the 60s.Still have my battered Olle Nygren rosette :approve: Just like to say thanks for the years he spent at Plough Lane.And thanks for all the effort he has put into bringing on the youngsters.Even after all these years he recently presented Freddie Lindgren with 50,000 sek for the Olle Nygren scholarship and will be running his training schools in Örebro again this May.A true speedway here

Edited by iris123

5.Was there ever a rider he went out to "teach a lesson" to so to speak?Who were his toughest opponents?

Can you recall any specific examples of this yourself? Speaking to a number of riders from the 60s period, it's clear that Olle was widely regarded as ruthless, some have said 'dirty'.

I'm going to ask him about how he was perceived by his rivals.

You can't help but admire the man and what he has put back into the sport.

Edited by tmc

Can you recall any specific examples of this yourself?

Unfortunately no.My memory is very poor for remembering specifics like that or particular heats :(

Is it not the case that Olle has kept his connections to speedway whereas the vast majority just drift off and don't seem to want to be part of the ongoing speedway set up ?

Can you recall any specific examples of this yourself? Speaking to a number of riders from the 60s period, it's clear that Olle was widely regarded as ruthless, some have said 'dirty'.

I'm going to ask him about how he was perceived by his rivals.

You can't help but admire the man and what he has put back into the sport.

Bit late but Sandor Levai did stick Olle on his A** in the pits in 1970 at Custom House with a Punch.

Not really Olle's fault as Sandor had just put Pete Bradshaw through the fence and Olle tried to confront him on the pits fence.

Match Score Hammers 46 Newport 32

Bit late but Sandor Levai did stick Olle on his A** in the pits in 1970 at Custom House with a Punch.

Not really Olle's fault as Sandor had just put Pete Bradshaw through the fence and Olle tried to confront him on the pits fence.

Match Score Hammers 46 Newport 32

you can ask him if he remembers riding that dirt track douglas around west ham in the lokeren meeting. that was one of my earliest memories of attending speedway.