British Speedway Forum

DEFUNCT TRACK: RAYLEIGH

If you were a regular at The Weir track in south-east Essex in the early 70s, you’ll be wallowing in nostalgia with this 3-pager on the Rockets, who were revived by Len Silver in 1968 and ran until the dreaded bulldozers flattened the place at the end of the 1973 season.

Actually, sadly I never did get to go to The Weir but I did see Rayleigh ride the once, at Kingsmead; and think it's worthy of mention (not referred to in the article) as it was surely the last proper appearance of the Rayleigh Rockets on track.

It was the Golden Jubilee meeting commemorating the 50th. anniversary of the first Speedway meeting in Australia in 1923 - and, of course, Canterbury had the right to stage this as the legendary John S. Hoskins who organised that first meeting in '23 was the promoter at Kingsmead..!

The main event was a 4TT involving the home side, Birmingham, an 'Ipswich Juniors' quartet and the Rockets.

Appearing for Rayleigh that evening (3rd. November: two weeks after their final ever home meeting) were:

Brian Foote (scored 5); Bob Young (7), Tiger Beech (1) and Trevor Barnwell (4). Rayleigh came last with 14 points: Ipswich winning a last heat decider to pip Birmingham for the win.

The article refers to the last Rayleigh away match as one at the start of 1974 - a challenge match up at Boston. But as that date was AFTER the closure of the Stadium (after the very last dog racing meeting there), really one can't actually count that match surely..: indeed, surely calling the Rockets, Rayleigh at that stage was incorrect..: though perhaps it was before the final 't's had been crossed and 'i's dotted for the move to Rye House..?

So, I'd say the final ever Rayleigh match was that one in November at Canterbury..??

Actually, sadly I never did get to go to The Weir but I did see Rayleigh ride the once, at Kingsmead; and think it's worthy of mention (not referred to in the article) as it was surely the last proper appearance of the Rayleigh Rockets on track.

It was the Golden Jubilee meeting commemorating the 50th. anniversary of the first Speedway meeting in Australia in 1923 - and, of course, Canterbury had the right to stage this as the legendary John S. Hoskins who organised that first meeting in '23 was the promoter at Kingsmead..!

The main event was a 4TT involving the home side, Birmingham, an 'Ipswich Juniors' quartet and the Rockets.

Appearing for Rayleigh that evening (3rd. November: two weeks after their final ever home meeting) were:

Brian Foote (scored 5); Bob Young (7), Tiger Beech (1) and Trevor Barnwell (4). Rayleigh came last with 14 points: Ipswich winning a last heat decider to pip Birmingham for the win.

The article refers to the last Rayleigh away match as one at the start of 1974 - a challenge match up at Boston. But as that date was AFTER the closure of the Stadium (after the very last dog racing meeting there), really one can't actually count that match surely..: indeed, surely calling the Rockets, Rayleigh at that stage was incorrect..: though perhaps it was before the final 't's had been crossed and 'i's dotted for the move to Rye House..?

So, I'd say the final ever Rayleigh match was that one in November at Canterbury..??

Thank you for that info Mr P. Sadly, the heart was ripped out of the Ryaleigh team in the last year of operation, as everyone knew of the closure. So, not surprised they came last. I did not know though, they turned out as Rayleigh, for a match in 1974.

Like any closure, all very sad.

Regards