British Speedway Forum
dj350z

Coventry Bees V Hull Vikings

I remember going to this meeting as a Cov supporter and I think it was a double-header and vividly remember not being able to see very well due to the size of the crowd that night.

I have heard there were about 25,000 people there for that meeting, is that correct?

It seems to be a lot for the size of the stadium.

Can anyone confirm the actual attendance figures.

Cheers

Dave.

I was there as a neutral spectator, funnily enough - due to family living in Coventry. Yes, it was a huge crowd and an electric atmosphere, though I think 25,000 is overstating it. The police would probably say 12-15k!

I seem to remember being at this meeting as well so perhaps the double header involved Leicester? :unsure:

No chance of me recalling anything else I'm afraid except I know the place was packed out and I wouldn't be surprised if there was 20,000 there.

Can confirm that this meeting was a double header with Leicester (Midland Cup semi).

The Speedway Yearbook quotes the crowd as "near 20,000".

Thanks.

That's two correct guesses so perhaps there is still hope that my brain hasn't completely

died off yet. :lol:

I remember it well :rolleyes: 5 minutes before the parade, we hooked up the change room pee troff to a "D cell" battry.... Bobby Beaton took it well.... "Never seen it so big" he said.. Ivan heard the odd screem and keeped looking at what Mitch was up to. :approve: .... think we did their heads in by Ht1 :lol:

Regards.

Edited by Trackman

Thanks for the replies. Certainly felt like 20,000, but didn't think you could get that many in there!!

Those were the days. Imagine getting that attendance now.

Anyone know how many was at last years play-off final at Brandon?

Must have been at least 8,000 I would have thought. Felt like it anyway! :lol:

Regarding the attendance of 20,000, hasn't the terracing been altered since the Hull double header?

The main grandstand has I'm sure been extended in both directions so there is less space on the terraces now and it's certainly not possible to see very much in certain areas underneath the grandstand on the 4th bend reducing the number of people able to stand there. In view of this it's quite possible there were 20,000 in the stadium back then.

I think Mr Heaver said about a year ago that the limit nowadays is something like 12,196 or some other strange figure. :wink: