British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Memories Of Somerton Park

Having read the wonderful memories of Waterden Road-my track was Somerton Park. I realise it was not a popular track but I have many happy recollections of the meetings there and the enthusiatic crowds -particularly in 1964 and 1965-and it was a great place then-anybody out in forumland have similar memories.I recall Alby Golden(RIP) breaking the track record; the guy we all loved to hate(Ivor Brown-God bless him); and the tremendous fan base in Waspland; Ron How of Oxford being unbeatable there ditto Jimmy Gooch and how excited we all were when he joined the Wasps. I recall when I lived in Champaign, Illinois, USA(hi chunky in Kahokia) trying to explain to my girlfriend -from Oklahoma-about the Newport Wasps. She thought it was hilarious because in the US,WASPS is short hand for White, Anglo-Saxon Protestants.It would have been like having a team called Reading RC's. I recall drinking Whitbread Trophy beer in the bar behind the stand opposite the starting gate-you had to join the Newport County F.C. Supportes Club to get in. By the way what happened to Whitbread Trophy and Watney's Red Barrel-was in UK recently and you can't buy it anymore.Happy days I wish I could bring them back-anyone out there have Somerton Park memories like this.

Thanks for the mention, Bobbath, although Cahokia is spelled with a 'C'! I do have to admit that Newport was one track I never ever managed to get to, but he story I remember most was when Simmo refused to ride at Somerton Park for one of his Grand Prix qualifiers in 1976.

I do have some fond memories of great riders though, like Torbjorn Harrysson, Sandor Levai, and of course my dear departed old friend, Jim Tebby.

Steve

I used to get along to Somerton Park most Fridays when I was working in Bristol in the early 70s. My main recollection is of how square the track was. As soon as the meeting finished I used to dash back to Bristol for a swift curry before starting work at midnight.

I always thought there was something better about weekend speedway than midweek, but I suppose that's personal preference.

Only went there once.Back in 75.I think it was the year Street was starting out with the 4 valve.Anyway Street and Crump Herne,Gresham even Tom Owen maybe gave the Dons a right thumping.Briggo and Tommy Jansson just didn't get into it.Don't really remember much apart from it seemed a dark and cold place.Maybe the feeling was exagerated because the supporters club had stopped off on the way for the Oxford -Coventry meeting in the afternoon which from memory was a total contrast.Plus it doesn't matter if you watch another team get thumped.Wimbledon always seemed to take a beating away from Plough Lane back then :cry:

Not being able to get Watneys Red Barrel nowadays is a definite PLUS point. The only drink worse than that was Watneys Starlight. As far as Newport goes I always looked forward to seeing them as they had the great Sandor Levai in the team when they came to Kings Lynn. One of my favourite riders for sure. The track was round the football pitch and it always looked a peculiar place to ride. Lynn didn't do too well there most times

Only went there once.Back in 75.I think it was the year Street was starting out with the 4 valve.Anyway Street and Crump Herne,Gresham even Tom Owen maybe gave the Dons a right thumping.Briggo and Tommy Jansson just didn't get into it.Don't really remember much apart from it seemed a dark and cold place.Maybe the feeling was exagerated because the supporters club had stopped off on the way for the Oxford -Coventry meeting in the afternoon which from memory was a total contrast.Plus it doesn't matter if you watch another team get thumped.Wimbledon always seemed to take a beating away from Plough Lane back then :cry:

i also went on that coach trip on good friday 1975. from memory i think the scores were oxford, 59 coventry, 19 and newport, 54 wimbledon, 24. two really close meetings!. that was also my only visit to somerton park for speedway, although i did go to a football match there a few years later.

The track was round the football pitch and it always looked a peculiar place to ride. Lynn didn't do too well there most times

Apart from winning 54-24 in '72 :shock:

The corners of the the pitch were actually coconut matting so they could be removed to accommodate the Wasps after the County had played their home games.Many moans from Fourth Division players about dodgy corners(not for the last time at Newport!!!) :rolleyes:

As I figured, judging by the number of posts not too many folks have as fond memories of Somerton as they do of Waterden Road or The Firs, or Custom House.I would have been better to have titled the item "gay riders at Somerton" or even better who was the tallest gay rider to appear at Somerton(not Graham Miles tho')!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember going to Somerton Park in 73 or 74 with Wimbledon - seem to remember Sandor Levai, Phil Crump, Neil Street and Bob Coles riding for Newport. My abiding memory is that the town seemed to shut while the speedway was going on and afterwards, there was nowhere to go. The pubs all seemed to have shut and it was a bit eerie. Eventually the coach drove round and round and found a late night chippie open. The owner must have thought all his Christmases had come at once to get 52 hungry customers at that time of night! I also remember Peter Collins admitting in one of his books that he had feigned illness in May 1976 to avoid riding there, as he had been spooked by Tommy Jansson's death earlier that month and PC had always disliked the square shape of the Somerton Park track. However, as we all know, your home club is your home club and undoubtedly, many riders learned to perfect the circuit and do well there.

Not at Somerton,but i will never forget Ray Harris riding at Old Meadowbank with a big stripey jersey looking like a real wasp!

Yes that was Ray's trade mark-as you probably recall he got somewhat portly towards the end of his career!!.

Regarding the Somerton Park track, in the late 1960s/early 1970s when Newport were the perennial wooden spoonists nobody complained about the track. When we assembled a potential league winning team with three solid heatleaders Crump/Eide/Herne, that's when messrs. Collins and Simmons started complaining.

As Barry Briggs once stated 'Good riders can ride any track'.

I am looking for details on Jim Tebby: when did he move from Wimbledon to Newport. I believe it was an acrimonious departure from Plough Lane after he invested in new equipment for the season and was only told at the pre-season practice he was no longer wanted by the Dons.

Was his father Stan his mechanic when he rode for Newport - and when did Stan die?

Also, I know this asking a lot :unsure: - aprt from Harringay to Wimbledon then Newport - did Jim ride for any other tracks (excluding California-in-England). Many thanks indeed for any comments.

Jim has passed away hasn't he-didn't he die quite young, Stan has been dead many years I think.