British Speedway Forum
chunky

Careers Ruined By Injury

Mikael Blixt was quality till the day Rodney put him in the fence.

I was at that match at Oxford and it was horrific, both of them went through the fence at high speed.

Brian I think the chap who lost his life in that car crash was Terry Courtnell, other passengers alongside Genno I believe were Howdy Byford and Dennis Newton who were on tour together.

Arne Pander had some terrible knocks and had his skull fractured too which really did for his career - in 1966 v Coventry?

Pip Lamb and John Hack were promising young Oxford riders who both suffered terrible injuries.

Thanks for that on South Africa, But Arne's injury camre at Coventry in about 1960/61 in a crash with Les Owen.

Thanks for that on South Africa, But Arne's injury camre at Coventry in about 1960/61 in a crash with Les Owen.

I thought it was Coventry and Les Owen but later, must be another of his many other injuries. Didn't he miss a whole season because of injury and run a Petrol station on the Cowley Road or am I completely wrong on that? also didn't he nearly blow himself up once in a workshop accident?

BrianH -think it was in a track speedcar crash that Gerry Hussey died. Graham Warren- I think-but stand to be corrected- was that he was on his way to win the 1950 World Final, won 2 rides, fell while trying to pass eventual winner Fred Williams(who had home track advantage) then came back and won his remaining two.He finished third-then at some point he had an accident which I reckon knocked the stuffing out of him and was never the same againand that's why I brought his name forward.

BrianH -think it was in a track speedcar crash that Gerry Hussey died.

according to this memorium site gerry hussey died on march 7 1959 after a crash whilst racing midget cars at rowley park adelaide the night before if anyone hasnt seen the site it can be found at

http://www.geocities.com/bullpointer/memoriam

Edited by mervjankefanclub

according to this memorium site gerry hussey died on march 7 1959 after a crash whilst racing midget cars at rowley park adelaide the night before if anyone hasnt seen the site it can be found at

http://www.geocities.com/bullpointer/memoriam

Thanks for the plug!!!

Steve

Thanks for the plug!!!

Steve

no problem steve i didnt even notice your signature its a very interesting and informative site great work :approve:

I thought it was Coventry and Les Owen but later, must be another of his many other injuries. Didn't he miss a whole season because of injury and run a Petrol station on the Cowley Road or am I completely wrong on that? also didn't he nearly blow himself up once in a workshop accident?

He had many injuries and rode on several occasions with his ankle in plaster and wrist in plaster. He was a very brave chap.

Do you count Tony Davey of Ipswich,

Joe Owen of Newcastle

Do you count Tony Davey of Ipswich,

Joe Owen of Newcastle

Got in before me. I was going to suggest Tony Davey.

John Berry, if memory serves me correctly, said he was supremely talented but wasn't the same after losing fingers in a track crash.

There was a Belle Vue Colt in the 1980's called Declan Eccles who seemed to have it all. He had the speed and style, and certainly had the ability at the old Hyde Road stadium to beat many a visiting rider. I remember one glorious race where he overtook Sam Ermolenko on the pit bend at Hyde Road, only be overtook a lap later. I really felt he was going places but he suffered a bad injury (can't remember the exact details) and we never saw him again. Does anyone on here know what happened to Declan?

There was a Belle Vue Colt in the 1980's called Declan Eccles who seemed to have it all. He had the speed and style, and certainly had the ability at the old Hyde Road stadium to beat many a visiting rider. I remember one glorious race where he overtook Sam Ermolenko on the pit bend at Hyde Road, only be overtook a lap later. I really felt he was going places but he suffered a bad injury (can't remember the exact details) and we never saw him again. Does anyone on here know what happened to Declan?

i think he got into sand track racing and was very successful

Erm..didn't Declan to a bit of porridge? Or is that a completely inaccurate slur?!

Dennis Sigalos had his best years ahead of him before smashing his ankle. Lukas Dryml is also a good shout.

John Berry, if memory serves me correctly, said he was supremely talented but wasn't the same after losing fingers in a track crash.

Tony was another who had a number of serious injuries. He usually bounced back pretty well, but how much better would he have done without constantly having his career interrupted? I still remember seeing the photo on the cover of the Ipswich programme when he broke his thigh - yuk!!!

Steve

Pip Lamb and John Hack were promising young Oxford riders who both suffered terrible injuries.

i remember liking john hack when i was a youngster and he had a few outings with glasgow am i right in thinking it was a fractured skull something similar to what happened to graeme dawson that ended his career miro :unsure: