Kermit

Speedway In Cornwall ?

1 minute ago, racers and royals said:

The Mecca of English football- how lucky you were to savour it :D

The lights were on, but nobody on it. A nice experience. :P

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

The Mecca of English football- how lucky you were to savour it :D

I believe you pay extra if you don't get a view of the pitch.........

• Haha 2

I know its easier said than done but I've often wondered why more tracks aren't at county showgrounds like Peterborough. Every county has one, they're usually out of town, there's usually plenty of room and the facilities are often unused for months.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ch958 said:

I know its easier said than done but I've often wondered why more tracks aren't at county showgrounds like Peterborough. Every county has one, they're usually out of town, there's usually plenty of room and the facilities are often unused for months.

Haven`t Edinburgh considered  Ingliston showground in the past  as an alternative ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ch958 said:

I think at one time showgrounds were 'out of town', but over the years they have been encroached by housing. Norwich tried about 10 years ago in their showground (Norfolk) and the locals wouldn't have it!

Carmarthen was based in a showground. 

I think part of the problem is image, not wanting a down-to-earth sport sullying their 'purity'.

I wouldn't say Norwich was defeated by noise considerations, more like the intended promoters being led up the garden path by planning advisers. 

Of course the sport's origins were very much in the showgrounds of Australia. 

Posted (edited)

Showgrounds and racecourses would seemingly make ideal venues for speedway given the plentiful car parking and a track would take up a little corner of such venues. Peterborough certainly is in my opinion one of the best speedway venues anywhere.

The Norfolk Showground should (in a perfect world) ) have been staging speedway from 1965 onwards after the Firs shut in 1964 but for years the Norfolk agricultural society were dead against it. The efforts made a decade ago looked very good but needed person(s) with serious financial clout behind them to make it happen.

Has Cornwall got a Showground or racecourse? 

Edited by 25yearfan

Yes it does and Exeter has one too - outskirts of town and acres of room. I suppose it has been explored though

5 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Haven`t Edinburgh considered  Ingliston showground in the past  as an alternative ?

that wd be amazing

2 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Carmarthen was based in a showground. 

I think part of the problem is image, not wanting a down-to-earth sport sullying their 'purity'.

I wouldn't say Norwich was defeated by noise considerations, more like the intended promoters being led up the garden path by planning advisers. 

Of course the sport's origins were very much in the showgrounds of Australia. 

I am happy to be 'shot down in flames' and was happy to accept, at nearly 62, my memory is starting to fail, however, below is an exert from from Eastern Daily Press dated 29th October, 2013: 

Tim East, county councillor for Costessey, said: “I’m not delighted that the project is not going forward because I am a supporter of speedway coming back to the city, but the showground was an inappropriate location. That is what has caused this scheme to fall by the wayside.

“It’s sad, but it’s not a viable location, in the middle of potentially three and a half thousand houses. Any objector developing those house would have objected to it.”

50 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

I am happy to be 'shot down in flames' and was happy to accept, at nearly 62, my memory is starting to fail, however, below is an exert from from Eastern Daily Press dated 29th October, 2013: 

Tim East, county councillor for Costessey, said: “I’m not delighted that the project is not going forward because I am a supporter of speedway coming back to the city, but the showground was an inappropriate location. That is what has caused this scheme to fall by the wayside.

“It’s sad, but it’s not a viable location, in the middle of potentially three and a half thousand houses. Any objector developing those house would have objected to it.”

The objector could claim that but I believe they were a minor consideration. Bear in mind I've had a few involvements with the prospective promoter. Don't believe all you read in the press.

Many "Showgrounds" have staged Grass Track Racing.

Three Counties at Malvern used to have one as part of the "Three Counties Show" and attracted some top names as recently as the 1980's.

Easy access from all the West/East Midlands Tracks and (in those days) Newport and Swindon. The Thursday night was a great day/night out.

Noise complaints I think killed it.

Regarding Cornwall, on the few occasions I've been to Plymouth it's been well populated by Exeter and Trelawny supporters and would seem ideally placed to support Cornish and Devon fans if they want a Speedway fix. 

It reminds me of Coventry racing at Leicester in 2018. Bees fans claimed to be desperate for Speedway, but how many actually turned up at Leicester to support the Bees?

Hardly saying to any would be Promoter that Coventry could be viable. 

16 minutes ago, HGould said:

Many "Showgrounds" have staged Grass Track Racing.

Three Counties at Malvern used to have one as part of the "Three Counties Show" and attracted some top names as recently as the 1980's.

Easy access from all the West/East Midlands Tracks and (in those days) Newport and Swindon. The Thursday night was a great day/night out.

Noise complaints I think killed it.

Regarding Cornwall, on the few occasions I've been to Plymouth it's been well populated by Exeter and Trelawny supporters and would seem ideally placed to support Cornish and Devon fans if they want a Speedway fix. 

It reminds me of Coventry racing at Leicester in 2018. Bees fans claimed to be desperate for Speedway, but how many actually turned up at Leicester to support the Bees?

Hardly saying to any would be Promoter that Coventry could be viable. 

With reference to your quote regarding Coventry fans at Leicester I was at all but one of the Bee's meetings that season and of the three groups of fans, 1 Bees Fans 2 Away team Fans and 3 Lions fans the Coventry fans made up the smallest group of the 200 or so paying customers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, W9 Lion said:

With reference to your quote regarding Coventry fans at Leicester I was at all but one of the Bee's meetings that season and of the three groups of fans, 1 Bees Fans 2 Away team Fans and 3 Lions fans the Coventry fans made up the smallest group of the 200 or so paying customers.

W9 Lion, sadly that was my perception too on the couple of matches I went to when the Bees raced Mildenhall and Belle Vue. A great shame that Bees fans could not support the project.

When I went to see the Cubs last year, I would say 300-400 and far better supported.