British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 25 Coming Soon

Here's a taster of just some of what's in store in Issue 25, out early April...

OLE OLSEN - Part 2. Read what he has to say about the Great Danes who followed him...Gundersen, his rift with Hans Nielsen, why he is critical of Tommy Knudsen...his past world finals...THAT race in 1977 that decided everything in the slime at Ullevi...

JOHN DAVIS - outspoken and controversial as ever...why he would kick "idiot foreigners" out of British speedway...the attitudes of riders today...why he didn't care about being called 'Mavis'...the fall outs at Reading and Poole...Michanek, Jessup, Andersson, Schwartz and co...what he thought of Dave Lanning...why Wimbledon was his dream track...why he needed Simmo's help...what he has to say about the British fans who supported the Americans...Lee Richardson...and much, much more...

LARRY ROSS - racing again at 53...looking back at his days from unknown to No.l at Wimbledon...why he left for Belle Vue...Halifax, Bradford and more...

STEVE LOMAS - the 'Bionic Cucumber' who started at Weymouth and was an overnight sensation at Hackney before finding his feet in NL with Edinburgh and Boston...

KNOW WHO'S BOSS IN THE NORTH - Mike Parker, Frank Varey, Jack Fearnley, Ian Thomas, Eric Boothroyd, Eric Boocock, Stuart Bamforth, etc, etc.

SUNDERLAND...our latest Defunct Track feature...

DICK BARRIE...our man on the mic

Two minutes with...PAUL EVITTS

MICK FIELDING...

and lots more...

Edited by tmc

Here's a taster of just some of what's in store in Issue 25, out early April...

OLE OLSEN - Part 2. Read what he has to say about the Great Danes who followed him...Gundersen, his rift with Hans Nielsen, why he is critical of Tommy Knudsen...his past world finals...THAT race in 1977 that decided everything in the slime at Ullevi...

JOHN DAVIS - outspoken and controversial as ever...why he would kick "idiot foreigners" out of British speedway...the attitudes of riders today...why he didn't care about being called 'Mavis'...the fall outs at Reading and Poole...Michanek, Jessup, Andersson, Schwartz and co...what he thought of Dave Lanning...why Wimbledon was his dream track...why he needed Simmo's help...what he has to say about the British fans who supported the Americans...Lee Richardson...and much, much more...

LARRY ROSS - racing again at 53...looking back at his days from unknown to No.l at Wimbledon...why he left for Belle Vue...Halifax, Bradford and more...

STEVE LOMAS - the 'Bionic Cucumber' who started at Weymouth and was an overnight sensation at Hackney before finding his feet in NL with Edinburgh and Boston...

KNOW WHO'S BOSS IN THE NORTH - Mike Parker, Frank Varey, Jack Fearnley, Ian Thomas, Eric Boothroyd, Eric Boocock, Stuart Bamforth, etc, etc.

SUNDERLAND...our latest Defunct Track feature...

DICK BARRIE...our man on the mic

MICK FIELDING...

and lots more...

Looks like a good read.

I used to clean his leathers for £2.50 a week :lol:

Nice work Tony. We asked for Larry Ross and you've delivered! Well done. I'm sure the Mavis piece should also be a good read. I'm sure I'm far from alone in being amused by his bleached blonde, medallion man image during his riding days. Also thought he was probably one of the most overtakeable riders at international level ever..check him out on YouTube..chances are you'll see somebody flying past him! On the plus side, despite limited natural ability, he was always well turned out and always seemed very professional. Just gotta prise my Dad away from his copy now :-)

Looks like it will be an interesting read as ever. John Davis should make an entertaining subject. We remember the bleached hair and medallions from the end of his career, but from memory his rise to the top end of the sport was quite methodical, breaking through to World level by about 1977?. He certainly was a good gater who was ideal for a track like Wimbledon.

What would we give for a rider of his ability to be part of the current British set up?

Looks like it will be an interesting read as ever. John Davis should make an entertaining subject. We remember the bleached hair and medallions from the end of his career, but from memory his rise to the top end of the sport was quite methodical, breaking through to World level by about 1977?. He certainly was a good gater who was ideal for a track like Wimbledon.

What would we give for a rider of his ability to be part of the current British set up?

I don't think that we are that badly of at this moment.

I don't think that we are that badly of at this moment.

I know he wasn't everyones cup of tea and wasn't known for his overtaking but at least he could hold his own on the world stage.

I know he wasn't everyones cup of tea

He certainly was mine!!! Had a Speedway Star poster of him on my wall for ages!!!! How sad is that!!!!!! and do know what apart from a slightly dirtier blonde hair now, he's like Peter Pan he's not aged that much either! (Oh he's gonna love me for that one roflmao :lol: was that ok JD did I get the wording about right :wink::lol: )

What is even more weird is that when I go to the WSRA the riders that are there none of them have aged that much from when I was a kid, Chris and Dave Morton, JD, Middlo (well he's lost that ginger hair so ok maybe not all riders stayed the same :lol: ) Joe Owen, Graham Miles, Chalky even Briggo, Ivan Mauger and Bert Harkins the look the same now as they did then :approve:

Edited by shazzybird

i think JD, at his peak was certainly a world class racer. he was 100% dedicated, and very patriotic. true he could be a bit hot and cold, but he was fast. remember too that in 77 he severely injured his arm on the safety fence at bristol (its a wonder he didnt cut it off.) as bad as it was others may have retired, but he came back. i think some comments on here are off the mark. he was good for speedway, the sport could use more personalities like him.

Wonder if he will give his thoughts on his exclusion in the 1977 Inter Continental Final when the sixteen riders, all the officials and the 37,000 crowd all knew Ivan Mauger caused his own fall, not JD, everyone in the stadium except the referee. It cost JD a place at Gotheburg and ironically Mauger who shoul not have even qualified went on to become World Champion

Wonder if he will give his thoughts on his exclusion in the 1977 Inter Continental Final when the sixteen riders, all the officials and the 37,000 crowd all knew Ivan Mauger caused his own fall, not JD, everyone in the stadium except the referee. It cost JD a place at Gotheburg and ironically Mauger who shoul not have even qualified went on to become World Champion

If my memory serves me well I seem to remember that he did not make much of a protest about it.

i think some comments on here are off the mark. he was good for speedway, the sport could use more personalities like him.

Maybe you're right. Mavis was never a true top-liner, but he was dedicated and professional and although I found his image a little comical, at least he had an image! To me, not having an image is an image-problem.

Maybe you're right. Mavis was never a true top-liner, but he was dedicated and professional and although I found his image a little comical, at least he had an image! To me, not having an image is an image-problem.

I think too here was a man who absolutely had a passion for the sport. He gave a lot years to the sport, and he certainly didnt do it for the money. Always had eally good equiptment and was good with the press and good for his sponsors. He came along when the sport was an extremely tough nut to crack. Look at the depth of the competition he faced trying to reach the top. Did he win a world final, no. but personally i think he should feel very proud of his career. ;)

I think too here was a man who absolutely had a passion for the sport. He gave a lot years to the sport, and he certainly didnt do it for the money. Always had eally good equiptment and was good with the press and good for his sponsors. He came along when the sport was an extremely tough nut to crack. Look at the depth of the competition he faced trying to reach the top. Did he win a world final, no. but personally i think he should feel very proud of his career. ;)

Are you his mum by any chance? :unsure::lol:

You are right though about his image and press.He was of course a rider and personality in his own right,but he does in a way compare with Wiggy in that sense.Although no-one can really be compared to Wiggy.I do mean it favourably though.

Just look at the competition he had just in the England squad at the time.But i always liked John Davis.More so than Simmo or DJ