British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
howling gorgon

How about a Draft?

Just a thought, but how about a draft for new & returning riders wanting to come into the EL, put them all into a pool held at the BSPA.

It could work along the lines of American Footie, basically the worst teams from the previous season get the pick of the pool, it could include new talent & those wishing to return to the EL, teams could also trade their draft pick, for example:

Ipswich, (no offence to ippo fans), as the worst team from 2003 could next season have first pick of the pool, but say they wanted some top end scoring they could trade their pick to one of the top 3/4 EL finishers this season, say Poole, Ippo then get one of Poole's top 3 & in return Pirates get the pick of the best talent in the BSPA Pool, (obviously to fit withn pre arranged points limit, it would asssit the Pirates 'cos they were over the points limit & help Ippo by giving them a strong heat leader, in theory that should in the long run even out teams, make for closer meetings & n o one team becomes the season whipping boys.

But

this just reduces the fine men in kevlars to commodities :shock:

Do they not have preferences?

Have they not tongues in their heads?

Cut them , do they not bleed?

(My guess is that this will go over the heads of several ...)

But

this just reduces the fine men in kevlars to commodities :shock:

Do they not have preferences?

Have they not tongues in their heads?

Cut them , do they not bleed?

(My guess is that this will go over the heads of several ...)

Surely they are already commodities, they are signed up & lots of them are discarded if they don't cut the mustard.

If the league also had a strict salary structure throughout I can't see it materring to many where they ride & for the new ones at least team loyalty can grow through riding for that team.

As for the other points Addy yup your right its gone right over my head :D

I agree that a strict salary structure is the way to go. Yes, it is possible that a few of the GP boys may opt out, but most won't. They need the income of regular racing.

It would also help to level the playing field for all teams. A competitive league is important for the overall future of the sport. Something needs to be done to ensure it. Promotion and relegation would be a great attention getter, and I'm sure Sky would love it. However, it can only work if the riders in BOTH divisions have the same rates of pay.

As for the commodities issue. Well riders have been moved about against their will for many years to fit with averages limits. It's hardly new.

Phil can we have an ironic tongue in cheek smilie please :roll: :lol:

................A competitive league is important for the overall future of the sport. ................. Promotion and relegation would be a great attention getter, and I'm sure Sky would love it. However, it can only work if the riders in BOTH divisions have the same rates of pay. .

Can you expand on this Bryce?

If my team is doing quite nicely in the 'lower' division where's the incentive to go the extra mile to gain promotion? After all, this means they'd face tougher opposition next year, have to ride harder and take more risks just to keep their pay at the same level. I am, of course assuming that riders pay rates would still be based on the points gained.

Also assuming that attendances in the 'higher' division would be, in most cases, higher and that TV and other money was available I can't help feeling that the riders would want some of it.

Promotion and relegation is a bit of a sore point but I'm slowly coming round to the idea that it would only come about when teams in the 'lower' division(s) start hammering at the door of the 'higher' division to be let in. The incentives must be lucrative enough to make this come about. These incentives would be the fan's expectations as well as money.

This having come about, to be allowed to compete in the 'higher' division would mean accepting the rules, one of which would be acceptance of the conditions under which a team can be relegated. Having built up this head of steam from the 'lower' division(s) refusal to be relegated would not be an option. Unlike previous attempts, having accepted the rules, the whole of British Speedway would expect them to be obeyed. It may even be deemed desirable to withhold some or all of the rights and other money until the following season to act as both a 'parachute payment' and as a deterrent to those tempted to refuse to be relegated.

Once again, the need for a strong governing body is paramount.

Time for tiffin............. ;-)