British Speedway Forum
Phil

Steve Johnston Speedway Testimonial - Coventry, 22nd June 2008, 1pm

JT.jpg

Steve Johnston Testimonial

Coventry, 22nd June 2008, 1pm

LEIGH ADAMS, SCOTT NICHOLLS, JASON CRUMP, LINUS SUNDSTROM, TAI WOFFINDEN, JOE SCREEN, FREDDIE LINDGREN, DAVID HOWE, MIKAEL MAX, RORY SCHLEIN, JASON LYONS, DAVEY WATT, STEVE JOHNSTON, CARL STONEHEWER, CAMERON WOODWARD, SIMON STEAD. MAESTRO MATCH RACES – SAM ERMOLENKO v RONNIE CORREY. DEMONSTRATION RIDE BY PETER COLLINS.

DEMONSTRATION RIDE BY PETER COLLINS

The main event in a busy day will be a 16 rider, 20 heat individual meeting.
It’s the old World Final format and the only way there will be an extra race is if there is a run-off” says Johno.

During the afternoon there will be Match Races featuring international Stars of Yesteryear.

There will be fun things for the kids, with giveaways, Mr Wolf etc.,

Big Prize Johno Testimonial raffle

Top Prize will be a VIP trip for two to the German Grand Prix at Gelsenkirchen on 11th October.
This will include a Pits Walk! “This will be with me unless I have to ride in a rearranged meeting. Even if I do the Walk is still on.”

OR

A 125cc mini-bike plus racing gear – helmet, boots, head to toe.

Jason Crump the double world champion, who is in fine form for Belle Vue, was only too ready to accept the invitation.
He said: "There's probably three or four other guys in speedway that I've got as much time for as Johno, and thats it. He's of my best four or five mates in the sport".

Scott Nicholls is delighted to put his name down to race in the Johno testimonial.
He was at my Testimonial and he’s put so much into everybody’s Testimonial, he’s done his fair share of them over the years and he deserves to have a bit of good come his way. I hope he has a brilliant turnout and it all goes well for him.”

The universally-admired Speedway superstar LEIGH ADAMS is the latest name to be unveiled for Steve Johnston’s big day in June. The Swindon captain sees this as due reward for all that Australian colleague Johno has given to other riders’ testimonial meetings.
Without a doubt I’m happy to be riding in this Testimonial, because I think Johno is Mr Testimonial, isn’t he? He’s chased every Testimonial down I think. I’m quite sure he actually goes to the BSPA at the start of the year and finds out when they are, and chases them down because there’s not too many he’s missed. It’s nice that his day’s come around and it’s nice to be able to help him out."
I know there’s a hell of a lot of people coming over from Aussie for it, and being at Coventry it’s central to most of the clubs he’s ridden for. It should be a good day and I hope it all goes off well.”

1976 World Champion PETER COLLINS will be turning out for a demonstration ride during Steve Johnston’s Testimonial,
and he will have his World Final winning bike at the event.
He’s a great guy Johno, full of enthusiasm. He’s done really well for English Speedway, come over here and roughed it out and never complained,
made himself a good career. When he goes back to Perth finally he’ll have some great memories of Britain and Europe
.”

Steve Johnston has added two of the World’s best young riders to his Testimonial lineup – British Under-21 Champion TAI WOFFINDEN and Australian Champion CHRIS HOLDER.

Tai says “Johno has been around since I was born. He used to live with my mum and dad when I was young and I’ve pretty much grown up with him, out in Australia as well. He’s a great, great family friend, a top bloke.

“He’s definitely good fun and helped me out loads with my speedway. I used his bike when we first came over, and in Australia as well, and he’s given me loads of tips.”

Chris added “I didn’t really know him personally back home because he’s from the other side of Australia but I’ve always known about him, and heard that he’s good to be around. Since I’ve started riding seniors he’s always been good, giving me advice.

-------------

There’s no way Steve Johnston could possibly stage a Testimonial without including his great mate, Belle Vue’s JOE SCREEN!

Joe says “He lived near me in Warrington for years until he became a southern shandy drinker!

“We had some good times, he’s been a good mate over the years and he’s always there for everybody helping.

“I do a lot of Testimonials myself and I had to be in Johno’s one. I’m actually having a week’s holiday in Sweden with my family but I’m coming back a day early to be in the meeting, I wouldn’t have missed it, he’s a great mate and he’s always helped me out when he can.”

----------

Almost the full field is now known for Steve Johnston’s big day – injuries to Chris Louis and Shane Parker have delayed completion but there are some huge names lined up, including two great favourites not currently competing in the UK.

Oh yes, and JOHNO himself!

----------

Two further names have been announced for Johno’s big meeting – they are Premier League star CARL STONEHEWER (Workington) and Eastbourne’s fast-improving Australian CAMERON WOODWARD.

Stoney’s inclusion should ensure a travelling band of Comets to watch their legend match his skills against the top boys once again.

Although Cameron is a fellow Aussie he says “I didn’t really know Johno back home as he lived a long way from me. However I’m very pleased to be asked to ride in his meeting and to get some more practise at Coventry!”

RIDERS ANNOUNCED SO FAR: LEIGH ADAMS, SCOTT NICHOLLS, JASON CRUMP, CHRIS HOLDER, TAI WOFFINDEN, JOE SCREEN, FREDDIE LINDGREN, DAVID HOWE, MIKAEL MAX, RORY SCHLEIN, JASON LYONS, BILLY JANNIRO, STEVE JOHNSTON, CARL STONEHEWER, CAMERON WOODWARD. DEMONSTRATION RIDE BY PETER COLLINS.

(Note that previously announced riders Greg Hancock and Chris Harris have been forced to withdraw – Greg has his son’s christening and Chris has a Polish fixture).

Taken very roughly from the BSPA website -

Monday 31st March

Jason Crump is the first confirmed rider for Steve Johnston's testimonial meeting at Coventry on June 22.

The double world champion, who is in fine form for Belle Vue, was only too ready to accept the invitation.

He said: "There's probably three or four other guys in speedway that I've got as much time for as Johno, and thats it. He's of my best four or five mates in the sport".

So rider number one is announced. Watch this space for the serious stuff about Johno's meeting but still enjoy the queuing 'soap' on the other thread.

More riders as and when announced :)

--------------------------------------

JT.jpg

THE JOHNO TESTIMONIAL

Coventry, 22nd June 2008, 1pm

LEIGH ADAMS, SCOTT NICHOLLS, JASON CRUMP

JT.jpg

Edited by Phil

Excellent news that Jason is doing this turn for his buddy.

Johnno will be well chuffed that his meeting is getting such coverage from the fans ................ hope he's got loads of fun stuff organised, it's what testimonials are ALL about in my eyes, he's a funny sorta guy so I'd expect LOADS!

For starters I reckon he should persuade 4 promoters/team managers to dress up as start tarts, with the obligatory high heels :)

For starters I reckon he should persuade 4 promoters/team managers to dress up as start tarts, with the obligatory high heels :)

Pratty & Oakesy have already done that once Trees.It wasn't a pretty sight i can tell ya :lol:Funny though

Edited by Steve Turner

Hope they kept the dresses. :lol:

Perhaps this time they could go for a massage and facial like Chris to get rid of all the unwanted body hair. :wink:

Steve anounced tonight at Coventry that there will be 4 or 5 more GP riders on the day.

And that he will be riding himself especially as him mum and dad will be coming over for the meting.

Sounds like a good line up on the way :lol:

And that he will be riding himself

I should think so to it is for him :rolleyes::wink:

I would think Leigh & Scotty would be definate's along with Judas & Lyonsy.

I can't wait.

SYFL

i cant miss this meeting. its a defo. a date to go on the calendar as 'N/A to work'

I would have thought riders like Gary Havelock Jason Lyons Carl Stonehewer will be included in testimional old mates of steve.

Johnno will be well chuffed that his meeting is getting such coverage from the fans ................

excuse me :shock:

excuse me :shock:

I bet your well chuffed now shazzy :wink::lol:

excuse me

Why what ya done? I thought it meant "pleased" what does it mean down south?

Edited by Trees