British Speedway Forum
Phil

Steve Johnston Speedway Testimonial - Coventry, 22nd June 2008, 1pm

i get a lot of gas meself, but still like to ride me bike, if anything it makes me go faster

Was a tad dusty there, I've turned about two towels into shale colour already :blink:

Was a good day out though. If only Nicholls could do that next week in Cardiff we'll be alright.

For a mere speedway novice really it was great to see Peter Collins riding as well, and I loved the bike, it looked and sounded so different, it looked as if it handled differently and the smell of methanol from it was brilliant. Anybody have a time machine? I really am beginning to think I missed out on the past...

P.S. Any chance of a track hiring that Aussie commentator guy? It doesn't half add a zing to the presentation! :)

Edited by 40-38

today was such a great meeting :) johno deserved to have a good meeting :)

i enjoyed myself and was great to watch the meeting and see johno have such a great day :)

nice to see a brit win something as well :D:P

hope everyone else enjoyed themselves

Bex xXx

Was a tad dusty there, I've turned about two towels into shale colour already :blink:

Was a good day out though. If only Nicholls could do that next week in Cardiff we'll be alright.

For a mere speedway novice really it was great to see Peter Collins riding as well, and I loved the bike, it looked and sounded so different, it looked as if it handled differently and the smell of methanol from it was brilliant. Anybody have a time machine? I really am beginning to think I missed out on the past...

P.S. Any chance of a track hiring that Aussie commentator guy? It doesn't half add a zing to the presentation! :)

starting to feel old now i was privileged to see peter win in katowice 1976 even though i was a massive olsen fan.back to today instead of the rain we had the wind and the dust but who cares i was there to give support to johnno on his special day. great to see rocket and sam back.i just wish we could turn the clocks back thirty years

One of the best testimonials I have been to . Started on time well presented and meeting over all within 2 1/4 hrs...spot on.

Great to see PC having a spin and also Sam and Ronnie out the enjoying themselves. Great organisation to have a heat twenty with three unbeaten riders.

Nice to see Lawrence Hare as well as Garry Stead.

Agree with 40-38 the Aussie commentator really added to the entertainment...sign him up sky!

All round a really enjoyable day and with a decent crowd I hope Steve went home with a nice profit

Edited by westhamboy66

I did not watch any speedway in the 70s but from my experiences of previous years, you did miss out on something. Even the smell and sound were more exhilarating than today.

A very enjoyable day at the Beehive. The last I saw of Bryn he was having the skin scraped off his face by Billy Janniro.

Nice seeing Gemini, Summit & Addy again, as well as being introduced to a couple of new faces.

Hope Johno made a few bob out of it.

:wink:

Mmmmm Castrol R don't ya just love it!!!!! Jim Blanchard when the GPs on puts some in his oil burner for the real feeling of a meeting :approve: and yep if you wasn't there you missed out but look on the bright side you had a treat today :wink:

Well here i am back in a dust free zone, but that apart what a brilliant day, excellent crowd as well.

Well stoked for Steve who deserves this more than any rider i know & as for Scotty winning, GET IN THERE.

Well I had a really nice day. Glad to see so many people turn out for Johno, the only irrating thing about today was the track went outside for a bit and really wished i hadnt lol.

Hope Johno enjoyed his day and it was all worth it for him. Was also good to see a variety of speedway fans from all over turn out for him.

Good on ya Johno for a great day :lol:

Johno really deserved the turn out both on and off the track. Shame about the dust clouds, i'm sure BJ fell out of my hair when I washed it.

Has Bryn had the old barnet shaved off yet? If so how did it go did any of the riders get involved?

Hi VV - sort of!!

My error on this forum is not always reading more than one line and moving on. So I got a new razor and sme shaving gel thinking I was just doing his beard and moutache. Oh and some nail scissors just to clip a little before shaving.

Well - I had not realised the task in hand. And how long that amount of hair takes to remove.

As some one has said - Bj got involved and did quite a good job. As I clipped he shaved!!

Bryns hair was done to a thin scissor cut and we got through most of the beard and moutache but it took forever so we let Bryn up and he will finish the job at home.

And remember guys - dont let Janniro anywhere near a can of shaving gel - a lot of playing was going on behind me but I was trying to concentrate!

As soon as I can I will get photo's on here. £130 in the pot - so if anyone hasnt paid up yet the total will hopefully rise.

Now - The meeting - superb, a great win for Scott but a brilliant day for Johno.

he was still there when we left at 8.30pm and was fully involved with Mr Sandhu and out with the dogs as the evening turned from speedway to greyhounds.

Congratulations to all of his team for making today such a brilliant meeting.

And Ozyace - I LOVE YOU!!!!! :lol:

...and one more thing.

Rosco - did an excellent job doing the auction, very funny for a man with such bad memories at Brandon.

Lots of jokes, swiftly followed by - ...and that will be on the internet by tomorrow. Well - no - apart from the one that made me gggle the most.

Big John from Buildbase was doing a lot of hand waving and bidding and was showing his generosity and Rosco shouts out to him -

Fancy moving from Coventry to Swindon next season Big John!!!

Firstly - get your hands off him Rosco - he's ours and secondly, I hope the Swindon current sponsers were not there today!!!!

And just in case the humour has not come through this post - IT WAS A JOKE!!!!

................and Rosco - sorry tp pinch your cap - I will bring a special new one for you when we next head your way, or you head ours! :wink::lol: