British Speedway Forum

Chatting the other day to Chris Hunt and his parents about Chris' early Milton Keynes appearances; and I found to my surprise, that I had seen him ride for the Knights not just at Crayford but once at Rye House in the NL match there in 1983!

I notice from the prog. for that match (17/7/83) that the number seven for the Rockets was one Kerry Gray who scored eight, paid nine.

Can't say I remember this rider's name at all: though a good score in this match clearly.

Anyone have any more details..?? :unsure:

Chatting the other day to Chris Hunt and his parents about Chris' early Milton Keynes appearances; and I found to my surprise, that I had seen him ride for the Knights not just at Crayford but once at Rye House in the NL match there in 1983!

I notice from the prog. for that match (17/7/83) that the number seven for the Rockets was one Kerry Gray who scored eight, paid nine.

Can't say I remember this rider's name at all: though a good score in this match clearly.

From memory (and at MY age, IOW, Poole, Swindon & Arena this week and this time in the morn you'll realise that said memory is not THAT great Parsnips old fruit!) I seem to remember Kerry was an Aussie who tried his luck over here.

Bryn

The brain hasn't completely gone, Bryn, there was definately an Australian called Kerry Gray racing with Rye back then.

Some Wolverhampton fans might remember him as well....... :angry:

I think he was a regular for the Rockets that season. An Australian who was an effective point scorer at NL level. Quick check of my records shows him scoring 11+3 (7 rides) for the Rockets on his only appearance at Weymouth (6 September). :)

Not sure if he returned to the UK in subsequent seasons.

I think he was a regular for the Rockets that season. An Australian who was an effective point scorer at NL level. Quick check of my records shows him scoring 11+3 (7 rides) for the Rockets on his only appearance at Weymouth (6 September). :)

Not sure if he returned to the UK in subsequent seasons.

i think he appeared a couple of months into the 83 season and returned for the start of 84 WW i am sure he rode at blantyre for the rockets that year as far as i can remember he was a decent rider who never returned after the 84 season i think he may have suffered an injury not sure how serious though :unsure: maybe a sparklers fan out there can fill us in :approve:

Kerry Gray rode 23 matches for Rye House in '83, and 26 in '84. He also made one appearance for Sheffield in '83 and three for Cradley and one for Wolverhampton in '84.

The brain hasn't completely gone, Bryn, there was definately an Australian called Kerry Gray racing with Rye back then.

Some Wolverhampton fans might remember him as well....... :angry:

Oh yes.................. I know of one who remembers him for his contribution to the victory over Cradley Heath in 1984 just after the Wolves had re-opened. I'm guessing that's the reason for the "angry" smiley :wink:

Oh yes.................. I know of one who remembers him for his contribution to the victory over Cradley Heath in 1984 just after the Wolves had re-opened. I'm guessing that's the reason for the "angry" smiley :wink:

Go on - pray tell..??!! :unsure:

Go on - pray tell..??!! :unsure:

It was Henry W who included the angry smiley after a statement about him riding for Wolverhampton, so I was just guessing that Henry is/was a Cradley fan, that's all.

Now if you'd invested in a book called "70 Years of Rye House Speedway" you would have found out all you wanted to know.... :):wink:

It was Henry W who included the angry smiley after a statement about him riding for Wolverhampton, so I was just guessing that Henry is/was a Cradley fan, that's all.

I was indeed a Cradley fan back in the old days...Nothing worse than Wolves getting one over them.

Now if you'd invested in a book called "70 Years of Rye House Speedway" you would have found out all you wanted to know.... :):wink:

Sorry, I give all my money to Jeff Scott!!! :wink:

I can offer you a lift, though..!!! :lol:

No! Anything but that!!!

Take all my books for nothing... They're yours! :P

Edited by norbold

Remember seeing Kerry Gray ride against Monarchs at Rye House and was impressed by his performance.

However was even more impressed by his after race wheelie when he clapped his hands together at the apex and still stayed in control. ! :shock:

Yes kerry did two seasons at Rye. Hampered by a hand injury but had a nice exciting style and I for one was sorry that he didn't do more seasons here. Kerry Gray, Glen Baxter and Trevor O'brien three entertaining Aussies that graced hoddesdon