British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Star in Exile

2003 US Open, NY USA

Just got back from Owego NY, after watching the second leg of the 2003 US Open which took place Sunday Aug 31. The Open format is run over two nights at 2 tracks in upper New York state.

I will post a fuller message later - here's the result. I guess this thread could have gone in the 'years gone by' forum by too...

1st. Bobby 'Boogaloo' Schwartz

2nd Dukie Ermolenko

3rd Tom Sephton (NY)

4th Shawn 'Mad Dog 'McConnell

5th Jeremy Parsons (NY)

Kelly Moran failed to make the final, neither did 2002 Open winner Cam Rafferty.

And before anyone thinks that NY Speedway must be pretty crap if all these oldies keep winning, you are mistaken. The final involved the top 5 riders, riding 4 races in succession with 3 minute breaks between each race. After race # 4, Bobby Schwartz barely had the strength to get off his bike and lift the trophy. But man can he still race ! Dukie Ermelenko looked like he might win it all, but he had a nasty crash in the third of the 4 finals and in the re-run he dropped a place. After the 4 final heats, Ermelenko and Sephton took a 3 minute break and came out for a run-off for 2nd / 3rd place. Meaning they took 5 races in about 35 mins.

I will post more details, incl pictures & links, later.

Bobby Schwartz is celebrating his 30th year in racing, man I dare anyone to top that! 8)