British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KevH

Kevin Torpie

Kevin rode for Edinburgh in '65 and '66.

What nationality was he please?

he was an aussie kev

Kevin rode for Edinburgh in '65 and '66.

What nationality was he please?

Kevin Torpie was a real one-off! He was an incredibly fast gater; had the world championship at that time been run only as far as the first thirty yards Kevin would have been world champion. Mauger's gating was snail-like by comparison.

Sadly, he was almost invariably last coming out of the second bend. His crowning glory came in a Scottish Cup match when he clinched the title by beating, if I remember, Trevor Redmond. This was considered an astonishing feat. In fact I was discussing this very event with Merlin only a few weeks ago.

Kevin was riding in Britain as early as 1962, mainly in open meetings. Remarkably he won the Victorian Championship in 1966.

Edited by Ian

kevin was in england for the anniversary of the veteran speedway riders asscociation at beaulieu a few years back about 8 if i remember correctely a perfect gentleman i had the priviledge of taking him back to Brockenhurst station in my car .by his own admittance he never tore up any trees in england but was a more than useful performer in aussie giving most of the top names a run for their money

Seem to remember him riding for Middlesbrough in the PL too. Also rode for a visiting team in a Challenge match at Weymouth (double figures I think) so he was not shy about travelling the length of the country just for a few rides. Typical of the many unsung heroes who never make it to stardom but are just as essential as the superstars. :)

Anybody got Kevin's stats?I thought he may have ridden for Edinburgh in PL but not sure