British Speedway Forum
skid row

Swc Round 2 Coventry 14th July

As a meeting it was boring - filling in the programme after lap 2 isnt my idea of entertainment - I saw great riding, but poor racing also only a couple of heats were ones that you could say were exciting - if this is speedway at its best then I worry for the future of the sport.

Bizzarely, after watching 10-11 heats on Sky repeat last night it didnt look as bad on TV as it did live... :unsure::unsure:

Was going to say that Paul, looked like an alright meeting watching it on Sky. With a few races offering some good racing - Rymel, Davidsson, Bjerre, Nermark, Bjarne off the top of my head.

What I really worry for the sport is when you see a woeful EL meeting on Sky - does that mean it was even worse for the poor few who paid to go and watch it at the track :unsure:

team for thursday.

harris

kennett

woofindon

wright.

allen

bridger.

well why not.?

Well i would for sure youve nowt to lose

All round poor performance but this was easily the hardest semi and had Poland/Norway been here instead of great (sic) Britain then the Czechs could have qualified.

Wrong.

once i stopped expecting team GB to perform and started cheering for the swedes and the czechs it became a very entertaining meeting, you just need to know where to look.

not sure weher the next GB world champ is coming from but certainly not from these 5!

scott nice chap great team capatin, rubbish in the gp, not up to the top level

chris, gives the worlds top 10 at least a bikes length head start and then wonders why he cant score, cant see this changing

lee, showed promise, now borttles it under pressure

simon, should learn how to ride speeedway before he gets in the team, outclassed

olly, bless his sole tried hard but way out of his depth

we have an elite league that isnt elite so these riders can make a living by being average, most would struggle in the top legues and would earn justenough for a turnip!

until the top league of britain becomes of a similar strength to the rest of europe, the GB riders will be forever swimming in the shallow end.

Get the team together the week before, track is slick, ridiculous running order - all valid comments to be fair, but the truth is that neither riders nor equipment are good enough!

Bar Cardiff - where even then Nicholls was found out again in the final - the GB riders in the GP have been light years behind the rest.

I think the promotors to a degree get some unfair stick on this point. Financially it is very difficult to keep a modern day speedway team in profit. We the punters want the best racing we can for our £ and going back to the above that cannot include - at present - a substantial number of home riders. If we are all happy to watch a lesser standard of primarily GB riders - slower, but perhaps closer? - standard of racing for a few years then maybe we could be a force again. Anyone care to place a bet on that happening though?

£23 quid to watch that tosh - 4 and half of my social hours spent on that. I feel utterly robbed. Why hold it at Brandon and make it that slick? Everyone knows when Brandon's slick is a total gatefest. I thought Stead looked Conference League at times, Allen trying too hard, Harris battled with bike probs and the other two weren't worth a mention.

Highlights for me were Iversen, Rymel, Davidsson. Total bore apart from them 3.

Except it wasn't a gatefest. Bjere went from 4th to 1st in 2 of his races. Lindgren made several passes, as did Bjarne Pedersen, in addition to the above 3.

In fact, I lost count of the countless times GB riders were overtaken.

Edited by BWitcher

It's all very well saying he shouldn't have been in the team, nor should he etc becayse Great Britain, as a nation, haven't got the riders. Bridger, Kennet or Woffinden wouldn't have done any better last night. We are not up to standard, and as with any sport in Britain, there isn't the same backing and investment as foreign countries. Changes need to be made, right from the top. Our riders have lost too other nations before they even get on the track because of the lack of backing we get. How can people expect us to be on a level playing field when our country won't spend the money or time on development. I'm not saying our riders weren't crap last night, but the blame can't just lie with the 5 riders. Hoping for a better performance on Thursday.

scott_ great team capatin

:blink:

He's terrible. Instead of motivating his team he sits a chair sulking.

Lynch should make an example and drop him.

Edited by pugwash

The riders we have couldn't finish their dinner tonight

By the look of Scott Nicholls, he not only finished his own dinner, but also those of his team mates. . .

It was even more disgraceful at the reappearance of Brandon's definition of a child - Under 15's were at concession prices. So if you have child aged 15 or 16 years old, you paid full whack.

Absolutely!! Many cinemas have this 15 and you pay adult prices too.. :angry:

The fact of the matter is that the school leaving age was raised to 15 in, wait for it..!, 1944... :shock: (it went up to 16 in 1973) - so from 1944 it has been unacceptable on any moral or legitimate grounds to class a 15 year old as if an adult when charging admission or fares etc. :angry:

What a difference a year makes...

Like you say..: why, this time last year nearly everyone on here was cooing over Chris Harris as a future World Champ based on Hancock ushering him past on the final bend of the Cardiff GP..!!! :shock:

As for Thursday, seems to me NONE of yesterday's quintet have any justification to be involved. We will 100% lose with them.

Go for Kennett, Woffinden, Wright, Barker & Bridger and you'll see a team fighting to their last to get thru'. That may not be enough but at least they'll give it their all AND signal a future for GB Speedway..: coz there doesn't seem much of a one right this minute....

i ment domestically!

Young pugwash is right on this one, the Coventry fans see the global superstar as "captain fantastic", but it's only a role he's capable of filling when things are going well.

what a ridiculous post,cutting off your/our nose to spite your/our face is not the answer.

nicholls is the best rider we have,he is british champion,a position he has held for 5 of the last 7 years,he clearly is not among the worlds elite,but our side would be all the poorer for his abscence.

let all try to keep a sliver of perspective.

Young pugwash is right on this one, the Coventry fans see the global superstar as "captain fantastic", but it's only a role he's capable of filling when things are going well.

He was a fantastic captain for Coventry, whether things were going well or not.

I thought Allen rode well for his points given the standard of the opposition (sits back and waits for the flak).

He was the pick of the British riders.

I agree about Allen. He may not have picked up as many points as we'd have hoped, but he still did better than our captain! Just a shame Scott will get put in ahead of him on Thursday, even though Olly performed better. At least he looked like he was trying, never gave up and raced for the line every time. And in the pits, while the others (bar Scotty) still looked quite jovial, Olly had a face like thunder - obviously wasn't happy with the way the night was going.

Also mightily impressed by Jonas Davidsson, a rider that is surely ready for the GP's in the next couple of years? His ability to up his game in International meetings was a lesson to the entire British side this evening.

He always steps up for the World Cup and GPs - hopefully he'll be a permanent fixture on the GP circuit next year. He rode his little socks off last night!

What a difference a year makes...

GREAT BRITAIN 60: Scott Nicholls 15, Chris Harris 14, Lee Richardson 11, Simon Stead 10, Edward Kennett 10.

Man, looking at that just brings it home, doesn't it?

Scott scored only a third of what he scored last year, Bomber less than half, Steady only a fifth... that's woeful.

I thought Stead looked Conference League at times, Allen trying too hard, Harris battled with bike probs and the other two weren't worth a mention.

Unfortunately, Stead looked well out of his depth - Olly maybe did try too hard at times, but at least he was trying!

It's such a shame that we can only replace two riders. IMO, Scott needs a wake-up call. Has he got complacent? Does he just assume, like the rest of us, that he will automatically be in the team? Maybe Lynch could do with replacing Steady and Scotty?

Why replace Olly? He was our second highest scorer. That's so unfair. Tai and Kennett could very well have done better, but the fact is Olly did better than Scott and Rico, yet they're getting another chance. Where's the sense in that?

Does Lynch have the balls to replace one of his "big guns"?? I doubt it...