British Speedway Forum
oultonpark

Weslake 4 Valve

Just a quick note. The threaded insert type head is a long Track head. It was done to allow larger inlet ports to be used if required, if you look you will see on the threaded type there is no `recess` for the nut to fit on a stud, as in the speedway type. Larger ports were ok on the LT and some GTs but smaller ports were found to produce a smoother `bottom end`.....more suited to speedway, so the speedway type is most common on, suprisingly, speedway! You could order a Weslake 500 with either speedway or Longtrack type head, its not necessary a way to tell th MK of engine.

Weslakes are a very strong and solid motor and made from proper materials. Not like this weak ass japanise metel in modern motors which smashes to bits after a knock...

The power a speedway motor is raw power, its intresting to know that a wessy can pull over 120 mph with the proper gearing and drag raceing conditions..

"I wanna come over and have a go"

The one the thing i do like is the sound of a good running Weslake (with no silencer of course!)

I found this photo so I thought I'd post it. I love the power the Wessie makes. Check the power pulses in the dirt being kicked up from the rear wheel. The time on this run was 129.917mph.

b0592bss1.jpg[/img]

Close up of the engine.

img0900co6.jpg[/img]

Other side.

img0905gs0.jpg[/img]

P.S. Weslake 500. Anytime you are out this way or want to come out you are welcome to take the Norton for a rip up the lakebed.

Found this for Oultonpark. Mondello Park around 1994.

img002du6.jpg[/img]

Edited by Hoofhearted

I saw this on another forum over here. No details or information. I'm assuming its a DOHC Weslake. But the frame etc. I don't know. Anyone got any idea.? It looks well done and if it was in my garage I wouldn't be too unhappy. I'm also curious to know how it got the Rudge name on the tank. I know there was somebody n England bought the Rudge name and had a GP 50 or 80 racing as a Rudge. Could this be from the same person?

img366.jpg[/img]

Edited by Hoofhearted

The sidecar finally fired up today. Not that anyone cares. I had been trying to figure out how to start it for a while now and came up with this. Its a starter with a built in gear reduction. Turns the Wessie over nicely. Out of curiosity how are Wessies started apart from bump starting?

img1126f.jpg[/img]

And its final incarnation minus the fairings.

img1015mr9.jpg[/img]

Edited by Hoofhearted

The sidecar finally fired up today. Not that anyone cares. I had been trying to figure out how to start it for a while now and came up with this. Its a starter with a built in gear reduction. Turns the Wessie over nicely. Out of curiosity how are Wessies started apart from bump starting?

img1126f.jpg[/img]

And its final incarnation minus the fairings.

img1015mr9.jpg[/img]

Hello Mate,

Hows things? Anything Weslake mate im intrested! Looks like a mean machine the sidecar mate LOL.. just took your post and thought id answer your question, without bump starting speedway lads have the bike on a center-stand. Which is just in front of the back wheel and they pull the wheel back on compression and throw the wheel forward!

Maybe you could do the same with your side-car? You might have a little difficulty if your sidecar is geared.

Take a look at my Weslake this is how a Speedway Weslake is suppost to look like!

weslakefullyrestored1.jpg

weslakefullyrestored2t.jpg

Edited by Weslake500

You guys must be a lot more macho than me!! There is no way I could "flick" the back wheel forward and get it to start! I use a 6 h.p. Briggs and Stratton with a 4:1 gear reduction to start the Wessie in the Norton and sometimes it even has a hard time. Better get the dumbells out and start doing curls.

[email="0592cnl5.jpg

Edited by Hoofhearted

A quick update. The scrutineers at the May El Mirage meet didn't like my handlebar set up so it didn't pass. I made the changes for the June meet. It was undergeared, overjetted and the lakebed is in terrible condition. It ran 172.835 kph on its maiden run so I won't complain. Theres a lot more in it. Ya gotta love Weslakes!

img1194rjn.jpg[/img]

See Ya!

img1196aqa.jpg[/img]

Teardown for certification.

img7044c.jpg[/img]

Edited by Hoofhearted

An update. Not that anyone gives a fiddlers. At the July El Mirage meet the sidecar ran 178.5 K/m (111.590 mph) and for the Sept. meet it started to find its legs. 197 K/m (122.240 mph). There is about 15-20 mph left in it. Great engine!!!!

img026h.jpg[/img]

0712091215.jpg[/img]

Hey Bill

Of course we are all interested. If it has an engine and wheels people here would like to know about it.

Keep up the good work

What about the wessy/ featherbed are you going to get the record back for that one??

The Weslake in the Norton still hold the 500cc pushrod gas record at El Mirage at 129.917 mph and the sidecar holds the 500cc pushrod gas record at 122.240 mph. Next year at El Mirage I hope to go after the fuel records there. I want to take the sidecar to Bonneville next year and go pound some sidecar records there. Gotta fly the Weslake flag!

A quick note. We went to Bonneville and took home both the gas and fuel records. The name Weslake is now firmly entrenched in the Bonneville record books. The Weslake ran a fastest time of 125.715 mph (for those metrically inclined thats 202 kph). Heres a short video of the run.

I want one. Been collecting parts for years for my Featherbed Wessy. Very inspiring. I need a motor! Any sellers?

This is a pretty much a dead thread. But for giggles here's a short video from Bonneville last year. We're headed out next Thursday to see if 140 mph is a possibility. The sidecar ran a best of 132 mph on this run.

G'day Bill

Good to see that your still running the wessie

I saw a mate the other day and there is a few Aussies on the way to the BUB event

ATB