British Speedway Forum

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Speedway Researcher results for 1968

British League fixture - 8 June 1968

Heat 3 - Nigel Boocock, Jon Erskine, Alby Golden, Roger Hill 68.4

Heat 13 - Nigel Boocock, Torbjorn Harryson, Jon erskine, Chris Harrison, 69.2

I assume the photo would be from heat 3 as the background is in daylight

Thanks very much. Jon was a very underated rider, and in that particular wasps era was one of the few members of the team who could score consistantly away from Somerton Park

Edited by father jack

John Erskine, 17th Earl of Mar (died 29 October 1572), regent of Scotland, was a son of John, 5th Lord Erskine (died 1552), who was guardian of King James V, and afterwards of Mary, Queen of Scots.

John succeeded his father as 6th Lord Erskine in 1552, and joined the religious reformers, but was never very ardent in the cause. He did subscribe to the letter asking the Calvinist reformer John Knox to return to Scotland in 1557. The custody of Edinburgh Castle was in his hands, and during the struggle between the regent, Mary of Guise, and the lords of the Congregation he appears to have acted consistently in the interests of peace.

When Mary Stuart returned to Scotland in 1561 Lord Erskine was a member of her council, and he favored her marriage with Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley, and his wife, Annabella Murray, called by Knox a "verray Jesabell", was a frequent companion of the queen. In 1565 Erskine was granted the earldom of Mar. As guardian of James, afterwards King James VI, he prevented the young prince from falling into the hands of James Hepburn, 4th Earl of Bothwell, and when the Scottish nobles rose against Mary and Bothwell, Mar was one of their leaders; he took part in the government of Scotland during Marys imprisonment at Lochleven, and also after her subsequent abdication. In September 1571 he was chosen regent of Scotland, but he was overshadowed and perhaps slighted by the James Douglas, 4th Earl of Morton, and he died at Stirling on 29 October 1572.

He was succeeded by his son John Erskine, 2nd Earl of Mar.

John Erskine, 17th Earl of Mar (died 29 October 1572), regent of Scotland, was a son of John, 5th Lord Erskine (died 1552), who was guardian of King James V, and afterwards of Mary, Queen of Scots.

John succeeded his father as 6th Lord Erskine in 1552, and joined the religious reformers, but was never very ardent in the cause. He did subscribe to the letter asking the Calvinist reformer John Knox to return to Scotland in 1557. The custody of Edinburgh Castle was in his hands, and during the struggle between the regent, Mary of Guise, and the lords of the Congregation he appears to have acted consistently in the interests of peace.

When Mary Stuart returned to Scotland in 1561 Lord Erskine was a member of her council, and he favored her marriage with Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley, and his wife, Annabella Murray, called by Knox a "verray Jesabell", was a frequent companion of the queen. In 1565 Erskine was granted the earldom of Mar. As guardian of James, afterwards King James VI, he prevented the young prince from falling into the hands of James Hepburn, 4th Earl of Bothwell, and when the Scottish nobles rose against Mary and Bothwell, Mar was one of their leaders; he took part in the government of Scotland during Marys imprisonment at Lochleven, and also after her subsequent abdication. In September 1571 he was chosen regent of Scotland, but he was overshadowed and perhaps slighted by the James Douglas, 4th Earl of Morton, and he died at Stirling on 29 October 1572.

He was succeeded by his son John Erskine, 2nd Earl of Mar.

Was the 4th Earl of Morton related to Chris Morton ?

Was the 4th Earl of Morton related to Chris Morton ?

Or even the legendary Wal? :unsure:

He was Ray Mortons second cousin, twice removed and re added, on the paternal side, after the blood line was broken by a adopted uncle who became a aunt later in life !! :lol::wink::lol:

He was Ray Mortons second cousin, twice removed and re added, on the paternal side, after the blood line was broken by a adopted uncle who became a aunt later in life !! :lol::wink::lol:

.............not Uncle Bob?

Thats what becomes of riding for the Isle of Wight!

But unfortunately server is not free and I'm paying for it from my pocket. But do not worry. Server will stay alive even without your donations. But if you want to help - why not?

I have a PayPal account, but I'm from Russia so I can't use it for accepting payments :( But I can think of another ways of donation:

Office Chairs | Chairs

But unfortunately server is not free and I'm paying for it from my pocket. But do not worry. Server will stay alive even without your donations. But if you want to help - why not?

I have a PayPal account, but I'm from Russia so I can't use it for accepting payments :( But I can think of another ways of donation:

Office Chairs | Chairs

Is this russian code for something to do with John Erskine?

Well the Jon Erskine, of speedway fame, presented Lee Smart with the New Year Classic Trophy at Newport on Sunday.

See Speedway Star for the photographic proof!