British Speedway Forum
Rob B

Belle Vue 80th Anniversary Meeting

Just no pleasing some people is there.

Mind you, if you were stood on the home straight then it's no surprise he said that. Packed in like sardines they were.

his main gripe was quality of the racing and the view, i did point him towards the grass banking on the 2nd bend where i believe the view is better but i don't think he will be returning ,shame really.

Im looking forward to hearing the managements thoughts on the meeting. Suppose we will find out in the Speedway Star and in Mondays programme.

David Gordon gives some of his thoughts on my website in the press release yesterday.

Im looking forward to hearing the managements thoughts on the meeting. Suppose we will find out in the Speedway Star and in Mondays programme.

I am more than happy to give my views - I thought it was an absolutely superb night, made that way as much by the huge number of supporters that were able to attend, as it was by everything else. David and Chris worked tirelessly to make this the best meeting (so far) of our promoting activities in Manchester, but the efforts of Steve Casey in bringing the whole thing together were also hugely important.

The Jason Done thing was just a laugh and should be treated that way. Jason was up for it, so why not? BUT, he also said that he REALLY fancied having a ride on a bike, so who knows...! I know that some people claim not to have been fooled by it, but also know many who were - including my brother who I didn't let in on the secret - so it achieved what it was set out to do.

I know it is early days, but David, Chris and I have already talked about what we can do for next year as, when we were able to reflect on Monday night, we realsied how much we had enjoyed the night, and how much we wanted to do better next time.

Many, many thanks to all who attended. What a night!

Gordon Pairman

I am more than happy to give my views - I thought it was an absolutely superb night, made that way as much by the huge number of supporters that were able to attend, as it was by everything else. David and Chris worked tirelessly to make this the best meeting (so far) of our promoting activities in Manchester, but the efforts of Steve Casey in bringing the whole thing together were also hugely important.

The Jason Done thing was just a laugh and should be treated that way. Jason was up for it, so why not? BUT, he also said that he REALLY fancied having a ride on a bike, so who knows...! I know that some people claim not to have been fooled by it, but also know many who were - including my brother who I didn't let in on the secret - so it achieved what it was set out to do.

I know it is early days, but David, Chris and I have already talked about what we can do for next year as, when we were able to reflect on Monday night, we realsied how much we had enjoyed the night, and how much we wanted to do better next time.

Gordon Pairman

Congratulations on a fine night and for your efforts to improve the team, Gordon. Hope things continue to improve!

I know you are constrained but are there any thoughts on other venues and/or racenights to improve the regular attendance and avoid the costs payable to the GRA?

Thanks for sharing your views Gordon. The whole management team have to take a huge well done for a great night 10/10. It just shows that when publicised well, given some added entertainment people will come out and support speedway. In the pub afterwards there were several people who decided to go and take a look at what all the fuss was about, being non speedway fans they were really buzzing and said it was the best night they had attended in ages. Is it coincidence that in speedways boom years with the huge crowds promoters used to include all sorts of added entertainments?

Gordon Pairman

Really good to hear your views, its was an excellent night and the promotion should be proud of what was achieved. Regarding the Jason done stunt, I wouldnt worry 99% of fans enjoyed it and thought it was a great laught and very entertaining.

Thanks for a great night.

Gordon Pairman

Yep well done to the promotion,compare it with the 70th anniversary celebration and well, theres no comparison!

Marvelous entertainment,many,many thanks to the promotion.

Only gripe for me was the old heroes from years gone by not being introduced to the crowd individually.

But apart from that it was a most enjoyable evening which will stay in my memory for a very long time.

Highlights of the 80th Anniversary meeting will be on Channel M's Sports Central show on Tuesday 12th August at 7pm.

Conkers

Jul 29 2008, 10:28 AM

Post #123

If you get the chance in the next day or so, have a look at the Supporter 2 Reporter internet radio station. They will have some interviews, video and photos of the PCMT/80th Anniversary meeting.

This is a internet project from Trafford Schools where young people get the chance to train as sports reporters. They had three teams in attendance last night, and managed to interview loads of people, including Ove Fundin. The students set out to make a feature on Speedway to be read by people who know nothing about the sport, as none of the students themselves had seen Speedway before.

Belle Vue are now part of the growing band of sports clubs and organisations to welcome them, and join a list which include Man United, Man City, Sale Sharks, Lancashire CCC, plus many international sporting events. In fact most of the reporters had been at the 20/20 finals on Saturday, and they will be covering many other domestic and international events in the coming weeks.

Have a look on this link:

Supporter 2 Reporter

The full coverage is now up on Supporter 2 Reporter, with some interesting stuff. Have a look on the link below

http://www.radiowaves.co.uk/n/Supporter/c/Speedway