British Speedway Forum
idh

Exeter Falcons

I hope the Proud name of the Exeter Falcons flies again, but how can anyone have enjoyed their visits to the county ground?????

The racing was terrible and the place was a dump

That's your opinion and you're welcome to it. But I disagree; even although the Tigers took a gubbing there on more than one occasion.

Edited by tiger jim

I hope the Proud name of the Exeter Falcons flies again, but how can anyone have enjoyed their visits to the county ground?????

Harsh. But if you only went there once or twice and saw a stinker, then I can understand. No doubt about it, the County Gound was no San Siro and was reapidly decaying too. The track did split opinions, but in my experience of watching speedway there it was a place which was hard to beat if you had two teams of fully committed riders going hard at it. On the other hand, if most of the visitors came just to show face and no more, you were in afor a long evening.

I used to love my trips to the county ground, I thought it was a fantastic race track.

Yes it was a bit harsh but the matches I saw there and the reports I read always suggested a one sided match because the away riders didn't know what the hell to do. Big tracks are nice and fast and obviously exciting but the shape of the county ground meant that it was difficult to corner smoothly.

I would say it was a fantastic place that showed the men from the boys

Hmmm. It says a lot that the roles were reversed for all of the away meetings. :shock::lol:

:blink::blink:

The County ground was a great unique speedway venue that should of had a preservation order put upon it!

It wasn't a great stadium but it certainly wasn't as bad as some make out. The main stand was very neat and tidy, a much better main stand than what many speedway tracks in this country have!

I'll agree that often the racing wasn't the best cause the track was so difficult and unlike any other speedway track which made it very hard for visiting riders to go well there but like another poster said often teams just turned up at the County ground to do the match rather than have a real good go. Anyway the Premier League now is full of teams with massive home advantages so whats the difference?

Good luck to Haldon but it will be extremely hard to follow the unique County ground from the unique track shape to the city centre location. I'd presume Haldon if it gets P/P will have a more orthodox track shape and its an out of town location so hopefully organised transportion of the many City centre based fans will be a priority of the new promotion?

Edited by 25yearfan

1.gif eh Ian

So hope Allen and everyone can finally pull this off. The waiting is sooo difficult,hopefully the guys and all us fans will get the result we all desperately wait to hear.

Edited by Nevs

Exeter was tradition, it wasnt some fluffed up tarted out excuse of a speedway track. it had the best fans in England who were even more loyal than the Cradley Heath fans which is saying something. it was bumpy, rangey and had a bump past the start finish line that unsettled the bikes going into turn one, and an off camber entry to turn 2. it had a steel plate fence. it had a history going back to 1929. it made some riders feel uncomfortable, they were considered "sissies" by the home riders. When the select tough racers (ie. Crump, Collins, Olsen, Pusey etc. ) showed up, they got stuck in and made a hell of a show....it was fast, dark and had racers like Blewett, Julian & the mad Czechs in its history, and thats not including Neil Street, Jack Geran and so many others from its long past. What more could anybody want? There will never be another County Ground, but there will hopefully always be Exeter Falcons to carry on their tradition. Man, I hope Mr. Trump can pull this off for sure. I believe him to be the right man at the right time. Good luck fellas! :approve: