British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KevH

Rod Chessell

Rod rode for Bradford in 1971 & '73, but can anyone tell me his nationality please?

Rod rode for Bradford in 1971 & '73, but can anyone tell me his nationality please?

I've got him as an Aussie Kev.

Yep, Aussie alright

Rod Chessell is most certainley an Aussie. I recollect he hailed ( thats an old term ) from Queensland Aus and arrived mid term at Odsal in 1971. Rod was a bit of a pocket rocket and drew similarities in style and size to the then Bradford No 1 Alan Knapkin. I seem to remember Knappy picked up a broken arm and Rod got his chance in the team. Bradford were then tracking the likes of Dave Baugh, Sid Sheldrick, Alf Wells, Robin Adlington, Dave Schofield, Allan Bridgett. Hell that was some line at the time that took Northern to runners up spot in the then BL Division 2 behind Eastbourne. It really should have been Bradfords title because they led the way pretty much all season but just ran out of steam at the end.

Anyway I really rated Rod - had 4 official meetings for a 4+ average before the 1971 season was over without him finding a permanent place in the team. Everyone wanted Rod Chessell back at the start of 1972 but the management went down the route of bringing UK based riders like Barry Meeks from Crewe and Chris Roynon ( father of Adam ) to supplement the core of the team from 1971 and Rod was not called back. Having missed out in 1972, Rod was back on UK shores in 1973 again finding his way to Odsal where he joined a band of Antipodeans - Brenton Langlois, Rob Maxfield, Mike Fullerton, Robin Adlington - it was very exciting to have these guys over and pretty much they all cut it. Maxfield had least success initially at Bradford but went on to be a bit of stalwart Div 2 performer at Exeter in later years.

1973 restored a bit of energy at Odsal following a pretty bland 1972 season ( 70/71 were high's following speedways re-introduction to Odsal ). I remember we would have a pre-meeting race off to decide who would be the 7th man in the team and Rod was in this, along with Maxfield, Mike Fullerton and the then local riders Mick Fairbairn and Mike Fielding. Rod never really broke through although he had about 7 official meetings for 3+ average. He always looked to have the makings of a good little rider but there was a surplus of riders vying for the tailend spots and it switched around a bit. In the end even Rob Maxfield went out of the picture.

After 1973 that was where the trail seemed to end for Rod in the UK. In the years after his name would crop up in the reports but he never returned over here. In the final analysis I would say he could have achieved more he was neat stylist and as I say very much in the mould of Alan Knapkin. It would be great to here what Rod is up to now - can anyone update.

By the way - no speedway in West Yorks since 1997 is it not about time for a revival.

Rod Chessell is most certainley an Aussie. I recollect he hailed ( thats an old term ) from Queensland Aus and arrived mid term at Odsal in 1971. Rod was a bit of a pocket rocket and drew similarities in style and size to the then Bradford No 1 Alan Knapkin. I seem to remember Knappy picked up a broken arm and Rod got his chance in the team. Bradford were then tracking the likes of Dave Baugh, Sid Sheldrick, Alf Wells, Robin Adlington, Dave Schofield, Allan Bridgett. Hell that was some line at the time that took Northern to runners up spot in the then BL Division 2 behind Eastbourne. It really should have been Bradfords title because they led the way pretty much all season but just ran out of steam at the end.

Anyway I really rated Rod - had 4 official meetings for a 4+ average before the 1971 season was over without him finding a permanent place in the team. Everyone wanted Rod Chessell back at the start of 1972 but the management went down the route of bringing UK based riders like Barry Meeks from Crewe and Chris Roynon ( father of Adam ) to supplement the core of the team from 1971 and Rod was not called back. Having missed out in 1972, Rod was back on UK shores in 1973 again finding his way to Odsal where he joined a band of Antipodeans - Brenton Langlois, Rob Maxfield, Mike Fullerton, Robin Adlington - it was very exciting to have these guys over and pretty much they all cut it. Maxfield had least success initially at Bradford but went on to be a bit of stalwart Div 2 performer at Exeter in later yea

1973 restored a bit of energy at Odsal following a pretty bland 1972 season ( 70/71 were high's following speedways re-introduction to Odsal ). I remember we would have a pre-meeting race off to decide who would be the 7th man in the team and Rod was in this, along with Maxfield, Mike Fullerton and the then local riders Mick Fairbairn and Mike Fielding. Rod never really broke through although he had about 7 official meetings for 3+ average. He always looked to have the makings of a good little rider but there was a surplus of riders vying for the tailend spots and it switched around a bit. In the end even Rob Maxfield went out of the picture.

After 1973 that was where the trail seemed to end for Rod in the UK. In the years after his name would crop up in the reports but he never returned over here. In the final analysis I would say he could have achieved more he was neat stylist and as I say very much in the mould of Alan Knapkin. It would be great to here what Rod is up to now - can anyone update.

By the way - no speedway in West Yorks since 1997 is it not about time for a revival.

Rod was a West Austalian,he won a flight to England as the highest points scorer at Claremont 1971/72. He rode in WA after uk for a while.

Tony

Brisbane

Hi all,

Im Rod Chessell's daughter and am doing a bit of digging into his career as a speedway rider. We know lots about his career in australia but nothing much of his time spent overseas. Is anyone able to help me out?

Rod Chessell made his British League debut for Second Division Bradford at Romford on 2nd September 1971 (5+3).

Saw out the remainder of the season, racing a further three league meetings and five challenge fixtures. Of his nine match total, the way fixtures fell, he had the misfortune to have only two matches at home for the team (although he did race in the track’s Sponsors’ Trophy individual event scoring two points on 8th September, and failed to score in Bradford’s Open Championship at the beginning of October).

Top scored for Bradford in his first match back (at Long Eaton, 26th April 1973) having missed 1972 but disappeared after a handful of early-season matches. Returned later in the summer, but after a run of distressing results for the Odsal club, said farewell to his British League career with a run of pointless returns, his last match the August 19th Cup semi at Boston.

Figures taken from Alan Robertson's Yearbooks from 1971 and 1973.

Edited by moxey63