British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 1 On Sale June 10, 2008

FIRST-EVER ISSUE!

Welcome to issue 1 and the exciting launch of another new magazine from Retro Speedway. Classic Speedway is committed to bringing you compelling, in-depth interviews with many of the sport's leading riders and personalities from the past and look what we've got lined up for starters...

IVAN MAUGER - EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

Who else but Ivan Mauger, the greatest rider in speedway history, to adorn the front cover of our first issue?

In our new, exclusive interview with the six times World Champion he talks candidly about his early career...his battles and long-running feud with promoter Mike Parker.

"With all due respect to Ronnie Greene and Charles Ochiltree, they were wimps compared to Parker," says Mauger, who explains why it was his disputes with his Newcastle boss that drove him to leave the Diamonds in 1969.

"If Parker had left Newcastle, I would never have joined Belle Vie," he added.

But the Kiwi legend admits that if it hadn't been for the launch of the Parker-inspired Provincial League in 1960, he would not have returned to England following his unsuccessful spell with Wimbledon in the late 50s, when he did a milk round to try and make ends meet.

Mauger reveals the influence he had on the Aces, how he turned them from also-rans to triple BL champs in the early 70s. He talks about Peter Collins and how he went before the Belle Vie board of directors to try and get PC in the team before he stepped up from Rochdale. "PC didn't even know I'd been to see them," he admitted.

OLLE NYGREN

We're back with the Swedish maestro (part one of this interview appeared in the last-ever issue of VSM) for more remarkable revelations and memories.

In this issue, Nygren reflects on the hazardous nature of motorcycle sport, recalling incidents that led to the deaths of rivals, team-mates and old friends. Olle was the first on the scene, along with Joel Jansson, when fellow Swede Tommy Jansson lost his life in Stockholm in 1976.

We take up the story of Nygren's incredible career during his Norwich days in the early 60s and also hear what he made of his subsequent spells with Wimbledon, West Ham, Ipswich, Coventry and King's Lynn.

He also talks openly about race-fixing and ‘doing favours' in World Championship meetings. He pursued one rider who owed him £50 all the way to Australia! "There was a system in Sweden of ‘covering' races and I understood how it worked," says Olle, who revealed that he was in the pits at one World Final when a fellow countryman was offered a £1,000 bribe to throw a key race.

Powerful stuff from this Grandfather of Swedish speedway, who has just recovered from major heart bypass surgery.

NEIL STREET

Many current day fans know Neil as team manager at Newport and as the influential grandfather of double World Champion, but in this interview we discover the background to Neil's respectable riding career.

He describes his voyage of adventure from Australia, the sacrifices he made to make the grade with Swindon and Exeter, and has a firm response to those who have described Newport's old Somerton Park as one of the most dangerous of all.

BRUCE CRIBB

Kiwi Cribbie's career spanned three decades, but here we focus on his battle to find his way in his early days with Poole in the 60s.

"I wasn't a naturally talented rider and Poole could have sent me home years before I eventually came good for them," said Bruce, who played his part in solid Pirates' 1969 BL-title winning victory.

FLASHBACK

We look back the years 1948, 1958 and 1968, featuring the the BL Division Two introduced so successfully 40 years ago.

VIC HUXLEY

One for the old-timers to savour, as we examine the impact made by speedway's first superstar.

NEW CROSS

Looking at the impact made by Ron Johnson through the years at the south London track.

NAME THAT TRACK

Can you recognise the two tracks featured in our picture quiz?

Plus your letters, great nostalgic pics (some rare and previously unpublished) and much more.

Order this historic first issue online today for just £2.00 + £1 P&P or take out a year's UK subscription (4 issues) for as little as £12.00...

http://www.retro-speedway.com/

Edited by tmc

Just received the first copy in the post. Although I haven't read it all, the balance of content and the layout is good. It appears to be a fine replacement for VSM.

Tim.

Just received the first copy in the post. Although I haven't read it all, the balance of content and the layout is good. It appears to be a fine replacement for VSM.

Tim.

My copy arrived on Derby day. Sadly due to the fact that its persisting down here, I have decdied not to travel to Epsom, and instead spent teh hours reading the first few articles.

A vast improvement, and the publication can be thoroughly recommened to all. Well written, clearly set out and shoudl appeal to just about everyone.

A good investment and should be supported.

Arrived in post yesterday. A good mix of articles and an improvement on VSM.

Super mag, really worth reading.

My copy arrived on Saturday (coincidentally, in the same post as my Cardiff GP tickets) and it's a suberb read. Thoroughly recommended.

FIRST-EVER ISSUE!

VIC HUXLEY

...we examine the impact made by speedway's first superstar.

Or Sprouts Elder as I know him, eh, speedy..??!! :wink:

Am I the only person to notice that this new mag's original cover date is Buzz's birthday..??!

Yep, thought so..!! :wink::lol:

A vast improvement, and the publication can be thoroughly recommened to all. Well written, clearly set out and shoudl appeal to just about everyone.

A good investment and should be supported.

An excellent magazine, well written and set out as you say Spegiel.

Although not around in the 50's and 60's it was most interesting to read, and I'll certainly be getting future copies as at £3.50 its still great value for money. 48 pages printed on glossy paper with stacks of reading.

On the subject of VFM, be careful anyone ordering from Speed-awaypromotions their Speedway Programme News. The advert amkes it sound really good but.....

Recently received Issue 2, it took all of 5 minutes to read, had 12 yes 12 pages of which 1 was the cover and 1.5 pages adverts. All in all 9.5 pages on non glossy A5 paper for £4!!! 3 pages of which mainly showed old Arena programme covers from the last few years :angry: Certainly not value for money so be warned.

Edited by PhilK

I used to love reading The Pocket Size History of Defunct Speedway Tracks, thought it was a fantastic idea especially the early issues which featured some of the more unfashionable northern tracks. Somewhere down the line its lost my interest. The likes of White City and Cradley Heath hold no interest to me but I can see why it would to others but the editor Howard Jones seems to have put the cost up quite considerably. It's initial format was great and left you wanting to know more but as issues went by the material was diluted. I could handle the likes of Crayford and Canterbury but southern clubs I never saw do not interest me. I find it fascinating that Howard produces so many different publications these days, he did one called 'The Speedway Years' and I bought one from 1981 expecting to see some comprehensive stuff on Middlesbrough having won the National League title that season but it was all about Cradley Heath.

Apparently its Howard who does the programme reviews for the Speedway Star end of season reviews.

An excellent magazine, well written and set out as you say Spegiel.

Although not around in the 50's and 60's it was most interesting to read, and I'll certainly be getting future copies as at £3.50 its still great value for money. 48 pages printed on glossy paper with stacks of reading.

On the subject of VFM, be careful anyone ordering from Speed-awaypromotions their Speedway Programme News. The advert amkes it sound really good but.....

Recently received Issue 2, it took all of 5 minutes to read, had 12 yes 12 pages of which 1 was the cover and 1.5 pages adverts. All in all 9.5 pages on non glossy A5 paper for £4!!! 3 pages of which mainly showed old Arena programme covers from the last few years :angry: Certainly not value for money so be warned.

Can I have the address to send a cjeque to for a full year please?

Brian,

Pse post to:

Retro Speedway (CS Sub)

103, Douglas Road

Hornchurch

Essex

RM11 1AW

Many thanks.