British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bazaar3

Rider Riding Styles

Not sure if this thread has ever been done but I thought it would be interesting of opinions of favourite riding styles although I am reasonably young and won't remember as much as some other opinions.

But I do remember the days of the lanky Bo Petersen real leg trailing and the Erik Gundersen leg waving off the bike who was the first rider I witnessed to do that (but I'm sure someone can do better).

Then you had the compact style of the small man such as Steve Schofield, the famous ruthless thrusts of Nicki Pedersen, the swaying shoulders of the exciting Chris Morton and the twitch that Phil Collins used to excute.

Most boring rider riding style: Has to be Jimmy Nilsen (mainly late 90s). Gate and go and then like Millard used to say it always looked like he was sat in an armchair and he never moved much on the bike and probably why he never looked like passing much.

Most exciting rider riding style: Have to say Paul Thorp (mainly early 90s). Never seen a rider move around so much on a bike whether he was ducking really low to reduce the wind resistance or was sat right on the back wheel when blasting around the corners on the outside.

Opinions...

Matty Tresarrieu has to be the best that i have seen round the STMP, stays hunched over his bike all the time and when he goes round the bends he goes so low its unbelieveable he doesn't fall off. Another leg trailer.

Edited by marron

For all your criticism of Jimmy Nilsen, there's no doubt that smooth styles are generally more productive than wayward bike manoeuvres.

When I started watching speedway in the early 70s there were still a number of leg trailers around, always the most thrilling style to watch - and PC and Mort certainly knew how to do it when needed. In recent years, only Mark Loram really tries leg trailing, and he ended up with serious injuries. Are there more leg trailers out there? Hope so... :P

Two (well I suppose three really) come to mind. The 'stiff upper armchair' look, when all around were frantically trying to pass, of Malcolm Simmons on his rare trips through the Tunnel when riding for the Hammers and the 'How is that physically possible?' antics of the brothers Moran.

Having not seen much of him before this season I have to say I love the riding style of Niels K Iversen. The way he leans over (often onto other riders :lol: ) in the bends is spectacular.

Going back a few years I remember being very irritated by the riding style of Neil Evitts. I'm talking about the final year or so of his career when he used to shut off half way down the straight.

But the best riding style by far was Sam Ermolenko dressed as Mr Wolf at Monmore Green when he came back from his big injury! The stadium announcer built up this event with a "Mr Wolf has always wanted to have a go on a speedway bike" speech and off went Mr Wolf with Sam inside the costume. Sam fell off pulling wheelies :lol::lol::lol:

For all your criticism of Jimmy Nilsen, there's no doubt that smooth styles are generally more productive than wayward bike manoeuvres.

Possibly true but how many titles have Leigh and him won and how many did Trick, Crump,Loram, PC etc win.. :wink:

Guest Steve Dixon

Arguments for both sides there, Ivan Mauger was as smooth as could be and look what he achieved, the Morans, Mortons etc were great to watch but never won individual World Titles!

Edited by Steve Dixon

As did Ove Fundin. Not that I'm voting in favour - would much sooner watch racers who thrill the crowd by trying every line and never giving up

Something I have often discussed with many people. There's no doubt the more ragged riders are generally more exciting to watch. But as a hard core speedway fan I get a buzz from watching Leigh Adams ride around lokking like he doesn't have a care in the World. The more Leigh Adams style rider often get critiszed for not trying but it's just how they are.

Personally, I like watching Ben Barker at the moment, he's got a style not unlike Bombers but a little more unconventional.

Best style IMO, Frank Smart. He'd spend 3 and a half laps hiding from the opposition under his handle bars before a big blast around bends 3 and 4 :D John Cook is another, I love youtubin' (is that a word? Can we make it one?) John.

Current day leg trailier, Joe Screen still does it, Carl Wilkinson never seems to know what do do with his leg so he often leg trails, he's another who is brilliant to watch, he can't gate either. Lee Complin, Richard Hall. Seems it's a British thing.

Theres alway Simon Stead, look great in a photo but all that bloody locking up does nothing for him in race conditions.

I can see what was menat about Thorpy, later in his career, when on form he was a joy to watch. Come to Newport once and scored a full 15 point max (2000-2001ish) and looks amazing.

Most awkward style I have ever seen is Neil Collins, it just looks wrong all the time and there never seemed to be a decent photo of him but with his tenaciousness out on track he didn't need a style, he wowed people with his passing antics.

I love the real racers, those who never give up... trying every line, trying to get by whoever's in front of them no matter where they have to go...

But, like SCB says, there is something about watching a "laidback" rider who looks like he's just out for a Sunday drive.

Current day leg trailier, Joe Screen still does it, Carl Wilkinson never seems to know what do do with his leg so he often leg trails, he's another who is brilliant to watch, he can't gate either. Lee Complin, Richard Hall. Seems it's a British thing. Theres alway Simon Stead, look great in a photo but all that bloody locking up does nothing for him in race conditions.

Screeny may have done it from time to time in his younger days, but not recently. You're right about Stead - he does seem to overbalance and push the bike beyond the laws of physics rather too frequently at times.

Best styles - I have been watching Speedway since 2000 but I don't think there are many people that are more exciting to watch than Simon Walker. With his Peter Craven style, it's just great to watch. Go on the Somerset Rebels website, and the 'welcome logo' has a picture of Simon in motion. When you see him blast around the boards in that fashion from 4th to 1st, something pretty special. Also, another leg trailer. Picture of Simon. and Another picture here. 3rd picture of Simon in action.

SCB mentioned earlier about Leigh Adams looking as ease, I always this when watching Hans Andersen. Looks like when he goes into the bends he is sat right towards the front of the bike and is always in complete control. Picture of Hans here. It is very much similar when Emil Kramer comes around the outside. Emil also from time to time gets the outside leg sticking up, very much like Tomasz Gollob. Picture of Emil.

Worst Styles - I've seen Michal Rajkowski race quite a few times now, and everytime it looks as though the bike is in control with him and he's just a passenger hanging on for dear life. Even in this picture of Michal it looks as though he is about to fall off the back of the bike!

Another style I don't like is Craig Watson's. Don't know what it is, just looks very 'hunched' up and not very open. The picture taken by Mike Manning shows just that as he and Lee Dicken get passed by Matthias Kroger up the inside - Picture of Wato. (And for those who don't know, Wato is the one that says WATO on the bottom of his back at the front :D)

Pictures of Simon Walker, Emil Kramer and Craig Watson (plus others) copyright of Mike Manning Photography. Hans Andersen picture by Mike Patrick. Picture of Rajkowski and the second of Simon Walker by Chris Spires.

Edited by Najjer

hans andersen has to have the best, the strong elbow out position, plus the starts are all cool and laid down low