British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bazaar3

Rider Riding Styles

Got to disagree Berty, Per to me (possibly because of his height looked to have a boring style) no doubt it was effective but he sat bolt upright on the bike.

Hans Neilsen always looked classy, Kelly Moran the wizard of balance nuff said... John Cook was awesome to watch and one of my favourite riders when I was a kid.

Jan Andersen of Reading was another boring style imo, that and the fact he never ever moved off the white line.

I hardly ever seen him ride and he was never a world champion but Greg Daniels had a spectacular style.

A rider I would like to have seen that I didn't was Bevan Compton who had a short spell with Berwick. I remember reading in the speedway star that he would flick the back end of the bike with his left leg going in to the bends.

Scott Smith (UK) seems to have an awkward style. He hardly turns the handlebars and it looks like he's going to skittle everyone.

Screeny may have done it from time to time in his younger days, but not recently. You're right about Stead - he does seem to overbalance and push the bike beyond the laws of physics rather too frequently at times.
Joe still leg trails at Coventry. He's still great to watch at Brandon, even if he is not the rider he used to be.

Scott Smith (UK) seems to have an awkward style. He hardly turns the handlebars and it looks like he's going to skittle everyone.

He does skittle riders :D One time at Exeter he wipped out his team mate on bend one, the red lights come on and he took out the Newport rider on bend 2 and then wiped out the other Newport rider on bend 3. With hindsight, hillerious, at the time I was calling him all sort.

Agree about Simon Walker being great to watch.

You'd expect me to say Mauger, and I will, and Olsen, the Morans, Thorpy. But also Joe Owen pre- 1978 he wasn't called The Tazmanian Devil for nothing but Ivan helped tidy his style. Gotta mention Bobby Ott although I only saw Showtime for 3/4 of a season at Hull in 1996, he rode the flat, slick, tight Craven Park like you shouldn't have been able to. Yes he stuck his right leg out and up but also would hang right off the bike with the upper frame tube in the crook of his right knee which had to be seen to be believed. I did and still struggle to believe it....

Got to disagree Berty, Per to me (possibly because of his height looked to have a boring style) no doubt it was effective but he sat bolt upright on the bike.

Hans Neilsen always looked classy, Kelly Moran the wizard of balance nuff said... John Cook was awesome to watch and one of my favourite riders when I was a kid.

Jan Andersen of Reading was another boring style imo, that and the fact he never ever moved off the white line.

Didn't say it was exciting, but the way he was sat upright just looked very classy in my opinion

I love watching Charlie Gjedde, his style is so unorthodox and awkward looking, Screeny still looks great when he leg-trails, but the true stylist for me was the original PC - Peter Craven.

Got to be Piotr Swiderski for me. :approve:

Rides right under the handlebars, you sometimes think he is watching the track from below his clutch handle!

He is certainly one of the most exciting riders I've seen in a long while!

Michal Rajkowski's riding style looks really awkward. I like Lee Complin's - he's almost off the bike :D

THIS pic sums Rajkowski's style up superbly.

Edited by M08

Got to be Cowboy Cook and Bobby Ott for me.

Of all the riders I saw last season, Adam Roynon certainly was the most exciting, in terms of when he missed the start and had to come from the back. He used all of the track most of the time, throwing his body to adjust for the balance of the bike. So exciting to watch, you often found yourself hoping he would miss the start every time! Missing him badly this season, hope he makes a quick return from his injury, although, I heard his leg is broken in 6 places, so its a long road for him, I think.

Best wishes to Adam. The PL and Rye House, are not the same without him.

Daniel Nermark for me, couldn't believe some of the times he used to wind it on, brush the fence and still catch his man.

Troy Batchelor had a great style to watch too, likewise Ashley Jones, never ever gave up!

theres a few for me.

mads korneliussen. lovely style.

andreas jonsson. cracking.

craig watsons style before his injurys was good too. look at videos pre 2005 and you will see what i meant.

antonio lindback

Riders like Juul, Henry and Bjerre every time, these guys have ridden some of the best races ever seen around Brough.

They have style, a lot like the muck man.

Also honourable mentioned to Wilko and Clews.