British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bazaar3

Rider Riding Styles

I dont think i've seen a rider give me a buzz , in the last couple of years , as watching Chris Holder has . His rodeo act to stay on the bike , on the 3rd bend , at last years Welsh Open had to be seen to be believed .

Also watching Shane Parker stalk a rider for a couple of laps , at Ashfield , before swooping past is a joy to behold - and i just hope we get the chance to see it again .

Peter Collins was great.So was Andrew Silver.

Loram,Nicki and Gollob are superb at their best and better than most when mediocre.

Only saw him the once in Germany but Stuart Robson was very exciting.Charlie Gjedde can also have his moments.

Sajfutdinov looks to be a very exciting prospect.Pawel Hlib also has that leg out style that Gollob does,although it looks like he probably won't make it as a top rider.

Recently Roynon,Barker,Tully and Kononov especially were impressive.

Must also add that Nicolai Klindt in Denmark can be very exciting and a couple of young lads still in the 80cc scene,Michael Jepsen Jensen and Mikkel Michelsen are 2 great prospect for the future.Very exciting

Edited by iris123

Worst I've seen, has to be Luke "747" Bowen. Rides any track like he's got stabilisers on his bike, and a broom handle up the back of his kevlars.

Adrian Rymel has been sensational around Berwick lately, he is just cruising around the track really really is on his game around Berwick.

Obvious candidate at the moment but Woffinden just looks like he was born to be on a speedway bike his movement and placement of the bike is sensational.

There are so many riders with so many unique styles like the riders mentioned Wilko, Complin, Hans, Leigh just awesome viewing.

Always enjoyed Zager when he was on it, one of the most natural big men I have seen on a bike.

And then from the tapes I have seen, like has been mentioned Shawn Moran could do 4 laps on his own and I would have paid to watch him.

If you want to see a real racer in action try and buy the Henka DVD from re run, what a rider that was.

A rider I would like to have seen that I didn't was Bevan Compton who had a short spell with Berwick. I remember reading in the speedway star that he would flick the back end of the bike with his left leg going in to the bends.

Bevan did have a style like I have never seen before the most comparable rider around at the moment is probably Walker at Somerset, the way Compton used to put it into the bend was a style that I have never seen before.

Most boring rider riding style: Has to be Jimmy Nilsen (mainly late 90s). Gate and go and then like Millard used to say it always looked like he was sat in an armchair and he never moved much on the bike and probably why he never looked like passing much.

Opinions...

That is non sense IMO, Jimmy Niles used to pass with ease around Berrington and many other tracks, a class rider.

Agree about Smart I remember a race at Berwick with him and Mogridge and it has to be seen to be believed.

Smart defied gravity at times, just ask Kelvin Tatum :lol:

no offence.. but now a days, they all drag their left leg if they put it down in the first place and peek from under the left side of the handlebars.. unless,.. there is dirt on the track. did anybody notice how in the last gp they werent takin time to pose for the cameras? otherwise they would have been launched. watch how Niki P. was very careful where he sat on the bike.. i like Gollubs style. he looks like he was born to ride a speedway bike. takes too many chances tho. his style is like a man molded around a bike. i thought Tony Rickardsson had absolutely the best style on a bike.. every lap, no wasted moves or effort, just an attempt to do the next lap faster than the previous one.

for the tigers the smoothest i ever watched was super stevie lawson who never looked troubled and most exciting has to be wee merv the swerve janke:approve:

when it comes to opposition i have far too many favourites to mention but i remember nigel sparshott for one very spectacular leg trailing visit to glasgow in 79 and i think one of the most stylish and spectacular riders i ever saw was andrew silver as was his team mate bobby garrad.... ian barney was another whos style i liked

Edited by mervjankefanclub

peter collins always exciting ,the czechs at exeter one though a frim favorite zdenek kudrna ,the moran brothers.

have to say malcolm simmons made it look easy like setting on an arm chair.

I love watching Charlie Gjedde, his style is so unorthodox and awkward looking, Screeny still looks great when he leg-trails, but the true stylist for me was the original PC - Peter Craven.

As soon as I saw the title of this thread, Peter Craven was the name that came into my mind. The little guys always look more spectacular, I think, and at 5'2" Peter, head under the bars in mid-bend, defined "spectacular".

Since his racing career began I have loved to watch Mark Loram, he has an amazing style!

The Moran brothers were a joy to watch as was Hans Nielsen!

In more recent years I have enjoyed watching Dave Watt and now he has managed to find his wheels on the Poole circuit he is amazing!

The one that I am watching for the future is Nicolai Klindt, from the first time I saw him over here in a Young Guns meeting a couple of years ago he had such a lovely smooth style on the large tracks! I still say that the boy will go far!

Rob Grant Snr :lol:

Nah seriously, as a kid i always looked forward to Andrew Silver's visits to Berrington, simply awesome, as was seeing (and meeting) Hans Nielsen at Granty's testimonial.

I always enjoyed watching Wilko and Pietraszko for us when i made most home meetings in the 05 season, and telly wise but never seen in the flesh, Mark Loram and Mr Gollob, i watched the repeat of last weeks GP at my folks on sunday, well chuffed for Tomasz :D

I dont think i've seen a rider give me a buzz , in the last couple of years , as watching Chris Holder has . His rodeo act to stay on the bike , on the 3rd bend , at last years Welsh Open had to be seen to be believed .

How on the earth I forgot Chris Holder I will never know. He is simply brilliant. I remember his visit to the Oak Tree Arena, I have never seen nothing like it, couldn't believe it then and still don't though - He was actually bouncing off the fence and leaning off the bike, was just brilliant to watch and still is now. Can't wait to go to Poole later in the year just to watch Noddy and Zorro B)

Also, Ricky Ashworth is very stylish on the bike.

Gotta mention Bobby Ott although I only saw Showtime for 3/4 of a season at Hull in 1996, he rode the flat, slick, tight Craven Park like you shouldn't have been able to. Yes he stuck his right leg out and up but also would hang right off the bike with the upper frame tube in the crook of his right knee which had to be seen to be believed. I did and still struggle to believe it....

Excellent topic. "Showtime" was the first person I thought of. Loved his style at the Dons and always saw him where I could afterwards.

I always prefer the aggressive style, when they are really working the bike. Steve Johnston although it doesn't always work, always looks like he's giving it everything.