British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bazaar3

Rider Riding Styles

EXCITING; Top of the list had to be Sam Ermolenko for me, never gave up, could turn on a sixpence piece and got through gaps that didn't seem possible. Any rider that lead a race, fall off, remount at the back and still win by 20 yards is pretty amazing.

Kelly Moran was great to watch as he lent off the bike with his right leg in the air, a style that was also done by a few more Americans like Bobby Ott, John Cook, Dennis Sigalos and even his brother, Shawn.

Andrew Silver was the 80's version of Simon Stead, but Silver always looked like he had more potential, but attitude, injuries, ambition and bikes were not there, but he had a great style.

The rider with the best first corner moves for me was Ronnie Correy. Yes he could gate, but he was countlessly ridden wide by opposing riders so he switched direction in a split second and went under them within a few yards. He could find gaps on the first bend that were amazing and could hold off any challenge.

The best leg trailer I remember from the more modern era was Marcus Bission at Poole and Stoke had a rider which I cant remember his name now. Both were expliuct leg trailers.

SMOOTH; Leigh Adams is the current holder of the Mr Smooth tag, which many riders like Ivan Mauger, Ove Fundin and Ole Olsen have been said to be in the past. However the smoothest and by far the most effortless looking rider was Hans Nielsen. He made it look easy to smash a track record without any mistakes.

NOW; Chris Harris, Simon Stead, Tai Woffinden, Scott Nicholls, Hans Andersen, Andreas Jonsson and Fredrik Lindgren are great to watch while Nicki Pedersen has it all, (thankfully not at Wolves though ;) )

QUOTE (sean b @ Jun 21 2008, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
kevin doolan or andreas jonnson

Si-Co Walker get my vote,but also like to watch Lee Complin (hope to see him back on a bike soon)

Got to be Cowboy Cook and Bobby Ott for me.

If that is John Cook who rode for Ipswich, I remember him going round plough lane and looking between his legs to see who was following. My wifes comment was "He's a nutter", I don't make her wrong!

kevin doolan and nicki pedersen are my favs but also love watching paul lee, tai woffinden and chris holder

i always liked the wee guys they were usually the most spectacular to watch like merv, ray bales, wally hill, colin cook, steve schofield, ronnie correy, gerald short, jan o, erik gundersen, guy wilson etc

talking about leg trailers chris readshaw was another who had a great style and north east junior dennis gallacher was another i seem to remember having a nice style both never came to much though so its all well and good having a nice style but whats the point when its not getting you points or money :P

Edited by mervjankefanclub

Andrew Silver,Colin Cook,Vaclav,Scott Autrey and Richard Green.

Edited to say all favourites.

I will never forget Andrew Silver at the County Ground in some sort of world/British championship quarter final qualifying round moons and moons ago and he was just sat on his bike like he was in an armchair and winning so calmly -no one did that at Exeter at the time will never forget watching him that day!!!

Yet whenever he rode Oxford Andrew Silver had less style than pretty much any other rider I have seen. He would turn 3 times on each bend and it was to his credit that he scored the points he did. His style was awful

Still never seen anyone make the sport look easier than Nielsen did in his heyday and although he has been mentioned as one of the most boring I always marvelled at jan Andersson's ability to look like he a piece of string tied to a post on the centre green. He never ever changed his line and never made a mistake.....................boring as hell to watch though

Yet whenever he rode Oxford Andrew Silver had less style than pretty much any other rider I have seen. He would turn 3 times on each bend and it was to his credit that he scored the points he did. His style was awful

Never before have i heard that said about Silver, he had an exciting style although it did get him into trouble occasionally. But watch the vid of him 3 posts above, anything but awful imo.

talking about leg trailers chris readshaw was another who had a great style

Yeh whatever happened to him? he came outa nowhere one season, something like 8.00 ave in Div 2, then disappeared. :blink:

Another vote on the way for exciting style of Simon Walker! Also Chris Holder, Mark Loram, Glenn Cunningham and Frank Smart are/were pretty good to watch.

On the worst styles I would include Rob Grant Jnr and most visiting riders to the County Ground! Danny Warwick could look awkward but was effective last year at Somerset.I will also include Simon Walker in this category as when Somerset opened in the CL he rode second halves and with his Motocross background struggled to get it around the bends. I seem to remember him demolishing the second bend fence one night but boy has he got the style sorted now!

Edited by Drew

Andrew Silvers style was awful really,but great to watch!

Jan O Pedersen by far the most exciting rider for me-you could almost hear the groans of disappointment if he actually made the gate at Dudley Wood!

I must confess that I hadnt seen the "leg waving" thingy before Erik(tho Gollob does it loads and cant be bettered for entertainment value on his day)

Peter & Phil Collins,Micheal Lee,the Moran bros,& even Screeny in his earlier years-As in footy ,i wish there was some way we could put the old stars up against current riders in perspective effectively-would the old guard come up on top as we all imagine?

From the riders out there now,I enjoy watching the Nermarks,Roynons,Woffys,Bomber etc,Stead LOOKS great ,but his lockers are totally unproductive!

At the top of his game there prob isnt anyone to match Crumpy for both effectiveness,and daring,switching fom Adams armchair style,to the opposite extreme as required.

Finally Czechy-Whats your prob with Brucey???

& TNT-yeah Sam knew every spec of shale by name at DW-particularly on the 3rd bend!-regularly turned on a sixpence,then fell off!

Top of the Smooth style riders were Ronnie Genz. Bjorn Knutsson and Ronnie Moore and more laterly Hans Nielsen and Leigh Adams. Most exciting were Jan O Pedersen and Kelly Moran and most distinct Mike Broadbanks, how were you supposed to get by those legs.

Worst Joe Owen of Coventry in the late sixties, how he ever stayed on his bike I dont know. (He often didnt).

Being a tall man wasnt keen on Michael Lee's style but certainly effective

I hardly ever seen him ride and he was never a world champion but Greg Daniels had a spectacular style.

A rider I would like to have seen that I didn't was Bevan Compton who had a short spell with Berwick. I remember reading in the speedway star that he would flick the back end of the bike with his left leg going in to the bends.

Scott Smith (UK) seems to have an awkward style. He hardly turns the handlebars and it looks like he's going to skittle everyone.

Your Right! Bevan Compton was awesome to watch, although he didnt last long before injuring his knee and he never regained his team place. At times he was very very quick, with his leg trailing way behind somewhere!! I remember him chasing Sean Wilson all the to the Flag in a very fast time at Shielfield (1999 i think).

Makovsky on full flight can be a pretty awesome sight as can Lee Complin! He loves Sheilfield too!

Up the Bandits