British Speedway Forum
PhilK

The Cardiff Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Looked like the whole air filter to me, can easily come off if the jubilee clip isnt done up tight enough!

Didn't Hancock also hint at something similar? I would bet that there is a deal of unrest among the riders given the state of two recent GP tracks.

I think perhaps a few of you should try falling off a Speedway bike before suggesting that riders do it on purpose as often as some would have you believe. I can't say it never happens but at least in the incident with Leigh Adams last night I can't see how Nicki P could have stayed on his bike - all 4 back would have been fair. I would also doubt that any rider would have been keen to go down deliberately even once on a track where a rut could have turned it into a highside or a broken leg very easily.

Hancock may have been unhappy with the track.... but he wasnt threatening anything on the level nicki was............... no one is saying the track last night was satisfactory but I do think that it has been got out of perspective

re: sliding off a bike..... ah come on...... the americans used to include it as part of the test to allow them to ride ............... hans neilsen made it an art....... Trick went through a period of it............... and now it looks like Nicki P is

Nicki P certainly could have stayed on his bike in the Adams race........... quite simply he came across too early and leigh was well in front of him..... most riders would shut off and attempt to come inside..... some would readjust to go wide.................. Nicki chose to engineer a rerun

question: if the theory is that in both identical incidents nicki was attempting for an all 4 back if he didnt hit the front................does this mean that it would continue over and over again until he made the gate? and what if everyone started doing it?

Does he get much money from winning the world championship though? I was just fielding a possible theory for his antics, because he sure as hell doesn't ride like he's trying to entertain us. :wink: I only say he's in it for the money because his riding smacked of something desperate last night.

Jason Crump and Greg Hancock are, IMO, the happy medium between Mr Dirty and Mr Clean. Good, clean riders with just enough of a ruthless streak to get them the glory without the controversy.

I think the answer maybe that when riding a speedway bike, Nicki might not have the skill that Crumpie and Hancock have, what Nicki has is a very clver brain, and enormous will to win , he is prepared to win, and sometimes that can be doing things that are a calculating gamble, and prepared to take risks.

Also he must be one of the most talked about speedway riders riding to day, Crumpie won the meeting, but who is the rider that is on everyone's lips, how many of these posts have been about Crumpie and how many have been about Nicki.

Does anyone know if you have to finish the race with the air filter still on the bike!C ant understand why K elvin Tatum didnt say anything about it.

and prepared to take risks.

yeah sadly they arent all risks which just involve him................. sometimes they involve other riders and sometimes they are with the sport as a whole

Does anyone know if you have to finish the race with the air filter still on the bike!C ant understand why K elvin Tatum didnt say anything about it.

Dunno - not sure what the rules are on air filters being on the bike at all times - Although I can imagine it could get expensive if you ran a bike with no filter on it for a while :wink:

Pardon my ignorance, but why did Nicky P get third when he only had 11 pts while Scott had 12 pts, after all they both reached the final and both were excluded.

Sorry if somebody has already mentioned this before.

Ref was usless and did his best to ruin a great evenings entertainment.

Pardon my ignorance, but why did Nicky P get third when he only had 11 pts while Scott had 12 pts, after all they both reached the final and both were excluded.

Sorry if somebody has already mentioned this before.

Ref was usless and did his best to ruin a great evenings entertainment.

This was down to Scott been excluded first.

Nicky was not excluded (the heat was not stopped) - he 'retired'.

Im probably being really really dense here but how can Pedersen claim 3rd place when he scored less points than Nicholls? Yes Nicholls was excluded but so was Pedersen - Or was it just because Scott was excluded first??

Everyone can have their own spin on what happened but still turn up next year to go to what is the biggest and best G/P.

Obviously the track comments are the most important to me as I have helped Colin for the last four years and the biggest bee in my bonnet is the fact on Friday afternoon,at 3pm, there is a perfectly solid track properly prepared waiting for the G/P bandwagon on Sat night on the world stage.

5 30pm Fri we have a track totally knackered after 2 and a half hours of, imo.a totally unnecessary practice.

We have all heard riders say time after time the track is never the same on race day as it was on practice these guys are riding the same machines 4 or 5 times a week against the same riders 4 or 5 times a week so why bother.

The track at Parken proved you can have a good indoor meeting if you spend money on proper shale this material has been stored in a warehouse for at least 8 years and used only for G/P meetings.

Cardiff material is not shale it has virtually no clay content but as is normally the case its cheap cos it is from a quarry only 10 miles away.I totally agree we should make sure someone in the upper echelons of the G/P and British speedway promotions provide Colin with a decent material to work with.I know you guys and girls don,t enjoy seeing your favourite riders get hurt but it isn,t always us guys that are in the wrong although we are always the fall guys.

Answering the grading for the two semi,s, on Ole,s instruction after one rider (in the final) complained, we went the opposite way round two move the quite deep loose material out to the fence off the racing line, hope this answers the question. I think the track this year was the best its been as it didn,t cut up really badly until the last third of the meeting but as I said earlier when you got c**p material it aint gonna stay in the cost of transporting proper stuff into Wales now the fuel as gone through the roof is going to be a big problem for all promoters but its got too be done

I am looking forward too next year already ,if I get asked after this long post, as there is no where in the G/P calendar that matches the BRITISH cheers folks Mick

Posted this on Bears forum, my views on the meeting:

Just got back, racing wasn't very good but there was alot of incident.

When both Adams and Bjarne were excluded the ref should have excluded Nicki, he tried to cut accross everyone on both occasions and was not quick enough. Both Bjarne and Adams kept their line and were wrongly punished.

In one of the heats Nicki appeared to touch the tapes and was let off, wrongly again.

Dissapointing to see Scotty go through the tapes in the final but with money on Crump, he was the next best thing to a Brit winning (wont mention the £2.50 e/w we had on Kennett).

Is it right that Pedersen came third on the night but wont get any extra points from the final itself as he was excluded.?