British Speedway Forum
SpeedwayTShirts

** Cardiff Gp Music / Presentation **

IMG requested music from tapes to stop after the riders reached the first bend, we were allowed to make suggestions but they were our employer on the day and we did as we were told.

IMG are clueless on that one.it ruined the meeting for me.I think the music should stop as the last start girl walks onto the centre green and then let the tension build as the riders prepare for the start of the race.

Just to step in here, as the thread has clearly got a bit silly :rolleyes:

We took this booking following the Speedway World Cup at Coventry in 2007. IMG were suitably impressed with the presentation on that evening and many of our traditions were used at Cardiff on Saturday.

The people who booked us liked what we did at Coventry, they were also very happy with Saturdays meeting at Cardiff too.

The SGP team are extremely professional and every last detail is thought through in advance, including final preparations on the day to check that every part of the show goes to plan, our intentions were also discussed during these meetings.

Yes we acted on their instructions as our employer for the day.

Yes I feel the day went very well.

And Yes I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your feedback I would also like to say to those forum members who have afforded constructive criticism that it is very much appreciated. We know what we like, we know what many other people like but as this forum demonstrates, Speedway fans are a very mixed bag and needless to say we are never going to please everyone all the time, we know that is not possible. As Chris (Superbart) has stated, we value your feedback and we are pleased that the general consensus is that the majority appreciated our efforts.

We do not plan on replying to each and every question thrown at us, this thread could continue for weeks or months if we did that, there was over 5 hours worth of music and jingles played over the evening any one of which may be scrutinised, however needless to say that the event was massive, and we have taken on board some of your points for future meetings.

We are aware of the issues that people have brought up that they did not enjoy and will assess whether we want to change or consider it necessary to change our presentation in the future. These decisions will be made with the mass audience taken into account rather than the minority however.

The reason for the thread being started was not to stroke our egos, merely to gauge an honest opinion of the cross section of fans that come onto these forums, some are young, some are old, some are rockers, some are clubbers, some correctly :shock: thought Nicki did nothing wrong on the night and others think he is a cheat (save that for another thread LOL) some are very intelligent and others not so, some of us look for problems and some of us are extremely politically correct, some of us are game for a giggle and some fun, some of you wanted it quieter, and some of you wanted it louder.

We certainly hope to be a part of the Cardiff 2009 SGP (incidental or otherwise), the 2008 event has been the highlight of the speedway side of our lives so far.

These forums are a great place to complain, moan and whinge and so we are extremely proud that we have received some great comments, that is certainly a rarity in our new internet world! My personal thought was to leave the original thread as it was as some nice feedback was coming through naturally, asking for your specific opinions on this new thread was our decision so that we could get specific feedback, of course we prefer the positives but all the negatives have helped as well.

Please do not misjudge this post as attempting to defend ourselves, we do not feel that we have to do that, but I did want to make my own personal feelings known as well as those of our combined efforts. Thank you also for your kind suggestions not to be to downhearted by the feedback, that was never going to be the case.

Thanks and we hope to entertain you some time soon. :wink:

Rich

Thank you Rich. A more detailed and informative response, I'm glad to see that what you refer to as "negatives" were also taken on board - it wasn't clear from Superbart's comments whether or not they were going to be ignored.

However, I am still narked and annoyed by the use of "that song". And no, I'm not a prude -I can swear and cuss with the rest of them - but not in front of kids. I don't buy into the "they hear worse at school" stuff either - just because they hear worse it doesn't make it alright to play it. I sincerely hope that this will not be repeated if you get the gig next year.

However, I am still narked and annoyed by the use of "that song". And no, I'm not a prude -I can swear and cuss with the rest of them - but not in front of kids. I don't buy into the "they hear worse at school" stuff either - just because they hear worse it doesn't make it alright to play it. I sincerely hope that this will not be repeated if you get the gig next year.

Agreed 100%

And he school thing as well. Dont accept it - challenge it!!!! :lol:

IMG are clueless on that one.it ruined the meeting for me.I think the music should stop as the last start girl walks onto the centre green and then let the tension build as the riders prepare for the start of the race.

Spot on Dave, although i find it hard to believe they said that!

Can you imagine the pre-meeting planning and somebody saying, i know, if we play a silly tune really loudly while the riders are at the start and going into the first bend, the paying public wont be able to hear them, they dont want to hear those horrible bikes, we know whats best :unsure: .

I can just imagine the scene at Silverstone (F1 Gp) this week as thousands of fans bemoan the fact that there isnt a silly tune or jingle playing as the cars sit on the start waiting to go and then charge of to the first corner, i'll bet they're all turning round to each other and saying i wish i could hear Star Wars right now so i wouldn't have to hear those horrible noisy engines or when somebody spins off into a wall, wishing they could hear the Family Fortunes buzzer noise!! Same for Moto Gp or any other sport really, imagine doing that for the first 5 mins of a football match. It belongs in the WWF and maybe the circus.

I cant believe what im reading on here at times, is it any wonder that Speedway is not taken seriously by anyone else when this sort of tacky nonsense goes on, look around at all the serious sports and tell me how many use music in such a corny way.

Atmosphere is generated by the crowd and the music should be there to fill in the gaps between the races, best Gp ever was last year and why was that, because we had a British winner and sensational racing, nothing what so ever to do with the music etc etc.

Edited by paulc

Atmosphere is generated by the crowd and the music should be there to fill in the gaps between the races, best Gp ever was last year and why was that, because we had a British winner and sensational racing, nothing what so ever to do with the music etc etc.

Oh yeah, that's right: the purpose of Saturday evening was the racing - everything else was incidental

or when somebody spins off into a wall, wishing they could hear the Family Fortunes buzzer noise!!
I think you've got that wrong. That noise signals the red light coming on. Great idea IMO. I notice a few tracks now use the same idea. Far easier to hear that noise than look for a few generally dodgy red lights, especially if the sun is shining on them.

I think you've got that wrong. That noise signals the red light coming on. Great idea IMO. I notice a few tracks now use the same idea. Far easier to hear that noise than look for a few generally dodgy red lights, especially if the sun is shining on them.

Dont lets get facts or good ideas get in the way of a whinge, eh ?? :wink::wink:

Just back from Cardiff and after reading the main Cardiff thread seems our efforts with the Presenation/Music seemed to go down very well :)

I need to put together an email asap for IMG who booked us for the event as it was a trial with the intention of possibly using us at future GP's.

So if you have the time, could you please leave us a little feedback in this thread with what you liked etc. I have copied the comments from the main thread but the more the merrier. And keep them positive if possible LOL ;)

What a great Day !

Cheers

Bart

music was great,but i thought it should have been cut off sooner before racing started to allow us on the third bend to enjoy the sound of the bikes getting ready for the start. but keep up the good work ,and looking forward to 2009

Unfortunately the 'themed music' for the riders was like one of those bad jokes that was vaguely amusing the first time you heard it but by the time it had been repeated umpteen times was really unfunny and annoying.

Also, who was the genius responsible for playing Gary Glitter when the juniors, one as young as 11 years old was racing? I found that to be a completely bizarrre and unacceptable choice of music. Maybe they had been in a bunker for years and had no idea of what he had been found guilty of.

I can't even begin to comprehend that anyone would be stupid enough to think that the 'ivor bigun' song was acceptable at a family event. I've read the comments regarding what is suitable for a 4 year old to hear but it's not just young children that sort of thing isn't acceptable to.

Far too many cliched choices of music i'm afraid and nothing new and exciting. Black box, ELP, John Williams and Queen. Cutting Edge stuff!!

God no please no !!!! - see its all about personal opinion and you cant please everyone......

Exactly my point with regard to the music that's played. There's no way the guys can please everyone. They simply have to play main stream music to please the masses.

One of them, Bart I think, has already adressed this. He said it was a mistake.

One of them, Bart I think, has already adressed this. He said it was a mistake.

Mistake or not I thought it was funny and so did everyone around us!