British Speedway Forum
SpeedwayTShirts

** Cardiff Gp Music / Presentation **

Gotta ask Superbart, who EXACTLY did you play the Ivor Bigun track for???? :blink: (Stand by for several forum members claiming it was for them!!! :rolleyes: ) :lol:

Was aimed at the REF ;) but seemed to meet a dual purpose lol :)

Forgive me if it was mentioned in a post, but who provided the pre-match entertainment this year? Used to be pretty decent - I saw the likes of the late Edwin Starr, Suzi Quattro and a Blues Brothers tribute band there.

I wouldn't suggest a song for Bjarne at all. You miss the point. I'm saying do away completely with the naff idea of playing some crap song that no one wants to hear just because you think it has some bizarre tenuous link to a rider in the race.

Thanks again, but it all add's to the fun, which is why we were booked by IMG ;). And judging by the feedback on here although I respect your views I can only assume they are in the minority. Lets face it the forum is usually where people whinge so to get a lot of good feedback is unusual. We must be doing something right!

Personally i thought the presentation and music was excellent and exactly what Coventry has been missing this season.

Easily the best at any Cardiff g.p..

Loved the rider victory tunes, land of hope and glory for bomber, and particulary the Nicki P mickey takes.

I sincerely hope you are back at the G.P. next year and that the Bees management come to their senses.

p.s. John Leslie - Pedantic post and generally misery arse award winner 2008.

Sorry to bring a negative to this but for me it just did not do it.not so much what was played but when it was played.when the riders are up at the gate for me that is when the tension for the race begins.but the music was still blaring out when the green light was on and in some cases the music was on when the riders where in the first turn.playing all fall down when harris and iverson took a nasty looking tumble was a bad choice i thought.sorry to be a negative.

Forgive me if it was mentioned in a post, but who provided the pre-match entertainment this year? Used to be pretty decent - I saw the likes of the late Edwin Starr, Suzi Quattro and a Blues Brothers tribute band there.

Belinda Carlisle, who look absolutely beautiful, but was miming.

As you ask for opinions here is mine:

I seem to be one of the few that thought the music wasn't as good as last year - the exception to this being the use of Land of Hope and Glory and the Proms music, which was quite frankly inspired.

I didn't like the "theme" songs after each winner - Danny Kaye singing "Hans Christian Andersen" and Wonderful COpenhagen" left me cold. As did the Kaiser Chif's "Ruby" when Runa Holta won his heat, and the less said about the themes used for the Aussies the better.

Just one question though - just exactly when did you decide that it was OK to play the Ivor Biggun song "I'm a W****r" in a stadium where children were present? I don't care who it was aimed at, it was not appropriate. I was absolutely appalled. :angry:

It was Belinda Carlisle, who was fairly good. Certainly not one of the worst pre-meeting singers we've had (*cough* Chas 'n' Dave *cough*) .

There were also 4 stunt motorcross type riders who were very good, although they did seem to go on too long doing the same things. If they'd had a few more tricks they'd have been excellent.

Some unknown bloke (someone Charles?) sang Delilah and Land of my Fathers and then sang the National Anthem not very well.

Why not get Belinda Carlisle to sing it since we're paying her? (she'd know that one without miming wouldn't she?)

Edited by John Leslie

The music this year got on my nerves a bit - playing the same bit of music every time a rider wins a race is so old hat and you wouldn't expect to find it at a showpiece event such as Cardiff :rolleyes:

Some plus points, though, such as the patriotic music to accompany Scott Nicholls and Chris Harris.

That can stay - but The Wizard Of Oz and Copenhagen and such like should go. :wink:

Who was doing the music in previous years? I'd say they did a better job.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

It was Belinda Carlisle, who was fairly good. Certainly not one of the worst pre-meeting singers we've had (*cough* Chas 'n' Dave *cough*) .

There were also 4 stunt motorcross type riders who were very good, although they did seem to go on too long doing the same things. If they'd had a few more tricks they'd have been excellent.

Some unknown bloke (someone Charles?) sang Delilah and Land of my Fathers and then sang the National Anthem not very well. Why not get Belinda Carlisle to sing it since we're paying her?

Pehaps 'cos she'd have to know the words to mime to it? Because that's what she did for all but 2 of her songs. At least the chap who sang as well was singing live (well he can't be that bad and still be miming, can he?)

I didn't like the "theme" songs after each winner - Danny Kaye singing "Hans Christian Andersen" and Wonderful COpenhagen" left me cold. As did the Kaiser Chif's "Ruby" when Runa Holta won his heat, and the less said about the themes used for the Aussies the better.

Oh dear...you'll be in trouble.

Don't you know that the likes of Danny Kaye and Max Bygraves are just what we need to bring the people flooding back to 21st century speedway.

I'm buying into it already...I'm off to get a dirty wolfsport anorak and print myself an excel racecard to fill in with multicoloured pens.

The music this year got on my nerves a bit - playing the same bit of music every time a rider wins a race is so old hat and you wouldn't expect to find it at a showpiece event such as Cardiff :rolleyes:

Noooooooooooo.

Will people stop agreeing...remember 'Old hat' 70s naffness is the new 'new hat' :blink:

I think the music was pretty good. I haven't been to Cardiff before yesterday to base it on anything else but I like the signature tunes for certain riders and the music in between was a hell of a variety, and most were the sort of songs that get people singing which certainly added to the atmosphere.

The criticism that people are levelling about the music still being on in the first turn sometimes was more down to the fact the riders kept messing about and turning round, and I have no experience of presenting music but you tend to want to fade music out at an appropriate point rather than just turn it off dead.

It's just a shame the sound system itself was a bit poor and because it was so loud it came across a bit tinny but that's the stadium to blame there.

Oh, and the Ivor Biggun song I didn't actually hear but I also didn't hear any disapproving gasps from around me so I think the fourth bend seemed ok with it.

I thought the music a mixed bag. Thought it was very cheesy at times.

The usual Brit themes like Land of hope and glory were OK but I didn't like Copenhagen and Wizard of Aus etc. More thought required here.

Just pump up the British boys and to hell with the rest? Just have rousing British classical music. Adds a touch of class. Didn't like that England football song at all with Motson sampled.

The less said about the w@nker song the better.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

Oh dear...you'll be in trouble.

Don't you know that the likes of Danny Kaye and Max Bygraves are just what we need to bring the people flooding back to 21st century speedway.

I'm buying into it already...I'm off to get a dirty wolfsport anorak and print myself an excel racecard to fill in with multicoloured pens.

I'm 23 and I have no issue with Max Bygraves or Danny Kaye and I knew the words to Wonderful Copenhagen too. In fact if the songs had all been old I'd have been even happier with it. If somebody wouldn't set foot inside a speedway stadium 'cos of the music then they can't be that interested anyway so what's the point?