British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
leanne1706

European Gp 2009

I still dont see how anybody can knock the millenium stadium, with its city centre location. Also the viewing from inside the stadium its one of the best in the world considering the size of the place. And then there is the roof, which means you have guarnteed speedway aswell as fantastic atmosphere in the closed arena. So if you can complain about this place, god knows what else you complain about.

1. It has a moveable roof like the Gelesenkirchen stadium, so is weather proof.

It doesn't.

Im confused - does it fully close to be 'weathertight' or not ??

The roof at Wembley only covers the seats, but is moveable to avoid the problems you get with other large stadiums where the stands block air and light to the pitch (although it doesn't seem to have been a total success at Wembley either).

HA answers your question.

I still dont see how anybody can knock the millenium stadium, with its city centre location. Also the viewing from inside the stadium its one of the best in the world considering the size of the place. And then there is the roof, which means you have guarnteed speedway aswell as fantastic atmosphere in the closed arena. So if you can complain about this place, god knows what else you complain about.

Not complaining about the stadium itself, not in the slightest. Not happy with the way speedway fans are being milked for every penny by the hotels around the stadium... that's if you can book one!

Wembley will be ok if you just do the meeting and go home but for a day out etc you won`t beat Cardiff

I still dont see how anybody can knock the millenium stadium, with its city centre location.

There is nothing wrong with the Millenium Stadium itself. In fact, it is ideal for staging the 'main' event of the SGP calendar.

The problem is actually getting to it, and the attractiveness of the location in the minds of the casual fan.

Why would a second GP in this country have to go to Wembley anyway . From what i've heard about the place , we'd all need a lottery win to attend it .

Cardiff is great , i love the place , but if a track can be laid in the Millenium stadium - then why not Murrayfield . People visiting the city would find Edinburgh just as enjoyable as what Cardiff has become .

I've been to Edinburgh and like the City. If I could afford two 'big' GP's then I would be happy to go there. I still think that going to two high price events would be out of reach for too many people, and that a second GP in Britain would have to be at a more reasonable rate on a 'normal' track. :)

So if they staged 2 GPs in Britain at what other GPs expense would it be?

What I mean is for people that go to two or three GPs which one if any would be opted out of :unsure:

So if they staged 2 GPs in Britain at what other GPs expense would it be?

What I mean is for people that go to two or three GPs which one if any would be opted out of :unsure:

If both were to take place, then I'd 'opt out' of Cardiff. It's been held there for quite a few GPs now, and it'd be good to have a change of scenery (ie. Wembley) ;)

I'd rather have Cardiff, although London is only 70 miles away somehow the weekend just wouldn't be the same for me :cry:

I would have no objection to Hampden or Murrayfield.

I am not trying to upset Scottish or Welsh fans here (honest), but why not have an English GP at Wembley and alternate between Cardiff, Hampden and Murrayfield for a British GP? :takecoversmillie:

My only problem with Cardiff is access and hotels. Londons hotels and tube would easily stand up to a GP.

I was at the England V Scotland Euro '96 game, and there was plenty of pubs, bars, etc to keep 80 odd thousand entertained in and around Wembley.

For selfish reasons I would love to be part of an injection of colour in to Richmond, as I started my journey to Wembley for a GP!

Hi, im new to the forum but have been following speedway since the mid seventies. I would love to see speedway back at wembley and fully agree with sw17 bulldog about alternating between Cardiff and Edinburgh Or Glasgow for a second gp or even alternate between all three venues to keep the event fresh.

Hi All,

Sorry if I misled anyone, but I believed that the stadium was fully weatherproof, I've watched them moving the roof back and forth a number of times, and this was mentioned in the press when the motor racing was held there. :unsure:

Why not hold a GP at one of the larger English Football clubs (I do not follow football so don't know the sizes of different stadiums) during the closed season, when they all seem to tear their pitches up to relay them.

I sure the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United would be happy with the extra income generated by the event.

Also I don't think the local hotels would try and rip us off like they do in Cardiff, it's this that puts me off the Welsh city.

All the best Paul B)

If Speedway and Rugby League walk away from the Millennium Stadium, it becomes very underused indeed following the loss of the Cup Finals and Play offs

Having been to Millennium Magic RL at Cardiff both times it is a great weekend but hotels are a big issue for that as well as its over two days. Edinburgjh and Dublin are both keen to muscle in on that concept and Cardiff are certainly not cast iron certainties

Having been to Millennium Magic RL at Cardiff both times it is a great weekend but hotels are a big issue for that as well as its over two days. Edinburgjh and Dublin are both keen to muscle in on that concept and Cardiff are certainly not cast iron certainties

Being a big follower of rugby league as well as speedway, i too was at both this years millennium magic and last year. The main gripe that the RFL have is with Cardiff City Council in that they take the money but did not keep there side of the bargain by not promoting the event. Some locals did not have a clue what was happening over the weekend. Last weekend was the same in that none of the locals we spoke to knew that the speedway GP was on, some of them did not know what speedway was :mad:

Speedway needs to find somewhere where it can be better marketed both by itself and the local council !