British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kiwi

White Ghost

Have you read the new Ken Le Breton book by Jon Jon White

used to be on here as jean le blanc.

Got my copy sent to me yesterday.Very well written. One of the best speedway books I have read.

Tempus books and Robert Bamford have it.

Welcome back, kiwi!

Yes, it is an excellent book. I can highly recommend it.

Yes I'm fine only looked at the forum a couple of times this year and couldn't find anything new to comment on.

I've started a new magazine up, similar to vintage speedway magazine I suppose, only focusing on NZ riders so thats taken up most of my spare time.

I've also joined our local Speedway Riders Club, and after questioning the flag marshalls efforts find myself as the new Track Steward for this coming season. So I'm off to a seminar this weekend to learn a bit more.

I'm up to date with the SGP as we get a video sent to us the week following the event. I find I'm cheering on Scott Nicholls more and more.

So there you go.

If you want a magazine subscription, 10 pounds a year, 6 issues. Norbold has one. Ask what he thinks of it.I haven't asked him myself yet. Email me at robnade@ihug.co.nz if your interested.

Don't know if this is the right thread to continue this but I can highly recommend kiwi's magazine. I've taken out my subscription. (Have you got my letter yet?). It's very well produced with lots of interesting info on New Zealand riders in England or at sea in Maury Dunn's case!

Well worth the £10 subscription.

Yes thanks Norbold. I dont know if I should carry this on here either, dont know what the rules are nowadays. Banked your cheque yesterday, I'll advertise your books in the next issue. That will be the 3rd issue as the second one I'm running out of room, I'm up to 36 pages.

If I start this as a new subject to see if there's any interest should I be in Years gone by or speedway discussions?

I would like to relate a story that my mum and dad used to tell me.

My parents both had an active part in the running of HULL ANGEL'S SPEEDWAY between 1948/49. sadly the team folded at the end of the 49 season, and sold the licence to Swindon. During the two seasons many speedway riders stayed at my parents house. During one home meeting my mother was aproached by a young man who she said was very polite and spoke very softly. she said he had an australian accent. He asked if there was any possibility of staying the night with some other riders who had come down from the north east ? My mum said that there would probably be room for more, even if they had to sleep on the floor.

She found out later that man was Ken le Breton......The White Ghost

By JOHN HYAM

In 1947, amidst much publicity New Cross signed the Australian ‘White Ghost’ Ken le Breton, so called because of his white leathers. He didn’t stay long at New Cross, going to second division Newcastle with a £1,000 cheque in an exchange deal that brought Jeff Lloyd into the Rangers’ orange and black race jacket.

There was a roar of laughter when le Breton stepped on to the New Cross centre green to be introduced, a week before making his debut for the club. He was nattily dressed in a pin-stripe suit, a bowler hat and carried a neatly rolled umbrella.

Le Breton was then the sport’s supreme showman and developed riding ability to match it. But for an untimely race track crash in Sydney, Australia, in January 1951 which cost him his life, he would probably have been a world champion.