Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

I think you will find that Nicholls has a better G.P. record in that time than Bjarne Pedersen !!

Hmm...well Bjarne finished 6th in the standings in 2005 and has actually won a GP, so think you're a bit off kilter on that one. :rolleyes:;)

But neither deserve a place next year.

Even with my BP bias I'd have to agree - Bjarne has missed a couple through injury this year, but has flattered to deceive in the last couple of seasons. With the next generation knocking on the door, I don't think he'll get lucky again and I can't see him being able to pull enough back to make top 8 - if he does get in, it'll be through the Qualifier, same as last year. Nicholls will always get the nod for being a token Brit until such time that Tai or someone similar is deemed ready to take his place and that won't be that far away.

Nicholls will always get the nod for being a token Brit until such time that Tai or someone similar is deemed ready to take his place and that won't be that far away.

I don't know why - I'd much rather watch Harris than Nicholls if I had to choose between the two.

Edited by fluffy

Cheers Sube, BP may be 'grey' :unsure: to some, but he's had some moments along the way. ;) Just read the write-up on last night's meeting on the Daily Echo website - seems Bjarne isn't doing the qualifiers this year - he may well have burnt his bridges for 2009 unless he swaps kevlars with the other Pedersen in the series...

Hmm...well Bjarne finished 6th in the standings in 2005 and has actually won a GP, so think you're a bit off kilter on that one. :rolleyes:;)

Even with my BP bias I'd have to agree - Bjarne has missed a couple through injury this year, but has flattered to deceive in the last couple of seasons. With the next generation knocking on the door, I don't think he'll get lucky again and I can't see him being able to pull enough back to make top 8 - if he does get in, it'll be through the Qualifier, same as last year. Nicholls will always get the nod for being a token Brit until such time that Tai or someone similar is deemed ready to take his place and that won't be that far away.

But the question wasnt a one off gp or a particular year it was from 2002-2008 and in that time Nicholls has scored more points !! IMO neither would deserve a wild card next year but there is still plenty of racing left to get into the top 8 !!

Problem is the "next generation" aren't knocking on the door. If you look at the field for the GP Qualifying Final it is very much a case of tried and tested riders who have either been in the GP's before or at the very least are well known on these shores. The only possible exceptions are Miedzinski and Jedrzejak who have both improved since their time in the Elite League.

The most obvious "next generation" of Holder, Saifutdinov and Pavlic all tried but failed to even qualify for the Final. I guess it is pointless to even guess who the nominations are likely to be until after the Qualifying Final and this years top 8 are sorted. For example, if Sullivan were to qualify then it would be unlikely Holder would get a nomination.

Personally I would consider Bjarne to be in the top 15 in the world, but with so many Danes at the top it appears his only hope of being in the series for 2009 is to come up with some very big scores in the remaining GP's.

If neither Harris or Nicholls make it they cant be given a Wild card on purely speedway terms at this stage.

Bomber received a wild card last season - following a decent first season and a SGP win.

Nicholls had a Wild Card the year before following an injury prevented him riding in a SGP or otherwise he would of qualified.

Looking at riders that have chances of Wild Cards , I would of thought Bjerre must be up there following his SGP and SWC exploits. Should Lindgren miss out I guess he would be given a spot as AJ would then be the only Swede. That not give Nicholls or Harris a great chance.

Why do people keep bringing up Wildcards and merit in the same post?

If you haven't got it yet the wildcards are chosen for TV. no Brits = less intrest in British media (yes even less than now) and less chance of sky getting non speedway or now and again fan to watch.

GP's are sustainable because of TV money therefore you need riders from the countries who pay the rates.

First chance to post since the meeting. Passing was certainly at a premium after the opening exchanges, but you can't argue that the best man won. He must be a very short price now to retain his title.

I think that the plug for "The New Inn" by Johno was my personal highlight; I'll bet it got a great cheer although I couldn't make it down there this time. Apparently the Forum members were conspicuous by their absence this time.

Apart from that, a typical GP performance from Clean, who looked deadly in his first 2 rides, ran an absolute stinker in his third and then bowed out in the semi-finals for the umpteenth time. He'll do well to creep up any higher than his current 6th spot this season, which is a major disappointment after coming second last year.

Apart from that, I hope that all the Forumers in attendance had a great weekend. :)

On the Nicholls/Harris comments about there GP performances and qualification for next years Grand Prix series.

When i look through the list below of the riders in the GP's i can honestly see why they both dont reach many semi's or finals. As much as i would like to think they are up in that top 8 class of rider they are a level below this. If Scott and Bomber don't make much (if any) money from the gp`s then spending the amounts that the top 3/4 at least would take away money they are not earning.

Bombers problem is the start, never in a million years are you going to get far in the GP's being 4th in the first bend race after race. Scott isnt far behind in this and his engines never look fast enough as he looks like being overtaken rather than pull out a lead.

Scotty and Bomber are the best british riders we have at present, they are out there doing there best, the world cup showed where we are in the speedway world at present. The same people who mess with the rules every season and baffle most fans across the country must put some plan together to help the younger riders come through like with Eric in Denmark.

Never again will a rider win the GP series and not win a single round like Mark Loram did, the competition is at another level these days.Maybe when Greg and Leigh have called it a day it will leave Nicki and Jason to fight it out but there will always be a rider that will move up to join them.

Nicki PEDERSEN

Leigh ADAMS

Jason CRUMP

Tomasz GOLLOB

Hans ANDERSEN

Greg HANCOCK

Rune HOLTA

Andreas JONSSON

Bjarne PEDERSEN

Scott NICHOLLS

Chris HARRIS

England should only have one rider in it next year and thats Tai Woffinden

Too early for Tai. He should have a crack at the qualifiers next season then see how he goes.

If neither Harris or Nicholls make it they cant be given a Wild card on purely speedway terms at this stage.

Bomber received a wild card last season - following a decent first season and a SGP win.

Nicholls had a Wild Card the year before following an injury prevented him riding in a SGP or otherwise he would of qualified.

Looking at riders that have chances of Wild Cards , I would of thought Bjerre must be up there following his SGP and SWC exploits. Should Lindgren miss out I guess he would be given a spot as AJ would then be the only Swede. That not give Nicholls or Harris a great chance.

Chris Holder must be in wth a shout of a pick for next season.

.......Scott isnt far behind in this and his engines never look fast enough as he looks like being overtaken rather than pull out a lead........

At the beginning of the season Mark Loram, writing in his column for the Ipswich Evening Star, made this observation about Scott. Unfortunately, I've tried to find the article and can't.

It was along the lines that Scott would never make it in the GPs as he is heavier (in weight), that the other riders. Mark didn't say he was over-weight or anything, just that he was 'chunkier' than most other riders in the GPs. He said that a speedway bike weighs 60Kg or 68Kg (I cannot remember which), and that a rider closer in weight to his bike will have the advantage over his competitors. A speedway bike carrying less weight will always pull away quicker from the gate. If you don't get away from the gate at a GP you will nearly always struggle to make up for lost ground. He said that Scott could get away with this disadvantage in domestic racing but against the best riders in the world, he would always struggle.

That was roughly what Mark said and I thought at the time it was interesting. Now, when I watch Scott in the GPs, I think Mark could be right.

At the beginning of the season Mark Loram, writing in his column for the Ipswich Evening Star, made this observation about Scott. Unfortunately, I've tried to find the article and can't.

It was along the lines that Scott would never make it in the GPs as he is heavier (in weight), that the other riders. Mark didn't say he was over-weight or anything, just that he was 'chunkier' than most other riders in the GPs. He said that a speedway bike weighs 60Kg or 68Kg (I cannot remember which), and that a rider closer in weight to his bike will have the advantage over his competitors. A speedway bike carrying less weight will always pull away quicker from the gate. If you don't get away from the gate at a GP you will nearly always struggle to make up for lost ground. He said that Scott could get away with this disadvantage in domestic racing but against the best riders in the world, he would always struggle.

That was roughly what Mark said and I thought at the time it was interesting. Now, when I watch Scott in the GPs, I think Mark could be right.

Why can't chris harris gate then ?

Why can't chris harris gate then ?

He has the reactions of a snooker table.