British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
trainer

Northside 16th August 2008

This report in local paper.Also taken from getnoticedonline.co.uk

Carry On Sarjeant!

Written by John Walsh

Monday, 18 August 2008

SHEFFIELD-based James Sarjeant - a former Tigers mascot – won the British Under-15’s Championship round at Northside on Saturday for the second year in a row.

The Northside training track had been invited to host the second round of this year’s championship after putting-on a round for the first time last year.

Sarjeant defeated the previously unbeaten Jason Garrity from Manchester in the final to win the 500cc event.

The 250cc class went to Rhys Naylor who, having won all four of his qualifying races, completed a full house by scoring a comfortable victory in the final.

After eight hotly-contested qualifying heats in the 500cc class Garrity put together a 12-point four-ride maximum and in his first outing had knocked 1.6 seconds off the track record he set in the corresponding meeting last year.

However, having been seeded directly to the final as top-scorer, along with second-highest scorer Sarjeant, Garrity suffered mechanical problems on his way to the tapes and was forced to jump on another machine.

While Sarjeant led from tape to flag, Garrity made a bad gate and had to fight his way through the field to second place on the line from John Resch, the winner of the opening round of this year’s championship at Stoke last month.

The eight qualifying heats in the 250cc class also saw some competitive action after which top point-scorer Naylor and second placed Conor Dwyer were seeded directly to the final where they were joined by the Jack Cornes and the all action Nathan Stoneman, who qualified via the semi-final.

But, with Dwyer falling on the opening lap of the final when well placed, it was Stoneman that followed Naylor home with Cornes taking third place on the podium.

Two more rounds of this year’s championship remain; at Weymouth in September and at Buxton in October.

Qualifying heats - 500cc - Jason Garrity 12, James Sarjeant 9, John Resch 8, Jack Hirst 7, Joe Jacobs 5, Cameron Hoskins 2, Scott Gibbons 2, Scott Day 2.

500cc Semi-final: Resch Hirst, Hoskins, Jacobs (fell/excluded)

500cc Final: Sarjeant, Garrity, Resch, Hirst.

Qualifying heats - 250cc - Rhys Naylor 12, Conor Dwyer 8, Lloyd Barrett 8, Jack Cornes 7, Nathan Stoneman 5, Daniel L’Anson 5, Daniel Sibson 3.

250cc Semi-final: Stoneman, Cornes, L’Anson, Barrett (ret)

250cc Final: Naylor, Stoneman, Cornes, Dwyer (fell).

Does anyone know if the was a photographer at this meeting??

Yes Dave Payne was there as he does not have a web site if p.m me with your e-mail address i will pass it on to Dave. and he will corrispond direct with you.

Does anyone have full heat details / times for this meeting please?

hi everyone, i would just like to say a big big thank you for eveyone who was at this meeting and for making it all go well. we all had a long day from devon but it was well worth it. many thanks again nathan stoneman. aged 11

All very good riders, I think of the three James is the better overall rider, Jason is the exciting one, Cameron is a little bit younger but I think given the right backing all these lads will have a fine future.

All three are really talented and will have a career in speedway but i wouldnt use the word that james is a BETTER rider than the other two because when they are all on the track Jason is a much stronger rider and attacks every track at a high level, its like he has no fear at all, a supurb rider. The only way any rider passes him is if he has a mechanical problem.

cameron for a younger rider is brilliant and with a bit more back up he will acchieve alot of things in the future. also james will be a really high acchiever in the future. i just think its unfair you to say that one rider is better than the other untill all the rounds have been completed!! Bring on Buxton!!

GOOD LUCK

Does anyone have the heat details / times etc from this meeting please?