British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Miller

Museum Website

Just what is going on with the Museum?

No website, the Barclays no longer involved

Can someone enlighten us please!

The Museum itself is going from strength to strength. If you'd been lately you would see how much better it is than when it was first opened. Work has continued and is still continuing on improving it. The layout has changed drastically since the early days making the exhibits much easier to see with improved atmospheric backgrounds and some well researched and easy to read information panels and explanatory text with the objects. The whole exhibition itself is excellent and has won plaudits from local museum professionals. The museum is growing all the time as more and more people donate or lend items to it.

I am also very unhappy about the website situation. We have a committee meeting next week and I will get to the bottom of this and find out what is happening. I always express the views put forward on the Forum when I go.

As far as the Barclays are concerned, they, of course, did a tremendous amount of work in getting the museum up and running but they always said they were not museum professionals and they probably felt their work was done once it was set up. They had spent two years doing nothing else but fund raising and gathering objects for the Museum and they probably wanted their lives back.

Apart from the issue of the website, the museum has been and continues to be a complete success and is going from strength to strength. It is a credit to everyone who has been involved in it and deserves the support of the whole speedway community.

Thanks for that, Norbold - much appreciated, good to hear the news

Looking forward to my first visit for the High Beech celebrations next month

Ta!

I've just returned from the Speedway Museum Committee meeting.

Here are the brief highlights:

1. The web site. There were profuse apologies from the person who is responsible for getting it up and running. The date for the full all-singing/all-dancing site is the end of February. However, they have agreed to put up a temporary site next week; so there should be something on www.speedwaymuseum.co.uk by the end of next week.

2. Planning for the "Celebration of Speedway" event on 8 February is going well. So far 19 tables have been booked for the Collectors' Fayre and there may be a few more. There are also currently seven outside stall booked including Terry Stone's vintage bike display, Alf Hagon, the Douglas Club and the current manufacturers of the J.A.P. engine, Cameron Racing. There will also be a demonstration of cycle speedway with a chance to "have a go" yourself. There will be refreshments available from Paradise Park's on site restaurant and there will also be a bar and barbecue set up for the occasion. Also, a local pub, The Woodman, will provide a special two course pub lunch for £9.95. The Museum will, of course, be open and there will be, as well as the continuous DVD display in the Museum itself, a film show put on by Tony Steele. Entry to the Park for the event will be free for the day and there will be guided tours of the Wildlife Park itself, making it ideal for a family day out.

3. Barry Briggs has agreed to become a Vice President of the Museum.

4. Rye House have agreed to house a temporary exhibition at the track to advertise the Museum.

5. Epping Forest District Museum in Waltham Abbey has offered exhibition space for a display on the History of High Beech Speedway (which comes within their remit).

Finally, I naturally took the opportunity to have another look round the Museum which has improved even more since my last visit. For those of you who have been and know what it looks like, the centre marketing area and counter has been moved to the wall immediately to the right of the entrance, which gives the whole place a much lighter and airier feel and increases the space for exhibiting old bikes. Some of the bikes in the new area include a Douglas, a J.A.P and a Mattingley frame JAWA. Further improvements are on the way...

Please come along on the 8th and have a look. You won't be disappointed.

Interesting to note that Barry Briggs has become a Vice President of the museum,can I ask what has happened to the Donnington Park Speedway Museum exhibits and will at least some of them be on show at our new National Museum.

I have got a vested interest having sent a plaque to the memory of Johnnie S. Hoskins to the Museum at Donnington after Canterbury closed in 1987, a collection was made by the Supporters Club at Kingsmead with the the expressed wish that it should be displayed in Canterbury Cathedral, when this was refused the Donnington Park Museum was the next best alternative and the curator was only to pleased to accept it.

I would very much like to see the plaque installed again in our new Museum for all to see and if Barry is now onboard perhaps it will be possible.

I have got a vested interest having sent a plaque to the memory of Johnnie S. Hoskins to the Museum at Donnington after Canterbury closed in 1987, a collection was made by the Supporters Club at Kingsmead with the expressed wish that it should be displayed in Canterbury Cathedral.....

Bloomin' 'eck, Ian, that was an ambitious wish was it not..??!!! :shock::rolleyes:

Couldn't Saint Richard of Jarvis have swung it for you... :unsure:

Or what about the great Friar, Arnoldiano: the patron saint of water bowers...: he could've sprinkled (very, very slowly...) some Holy Water on the shrine!!! :lol:

We hope to visit the museum tomorrow. Kids are off school so need something to do and we would have normally gone to Telford for the Ice Speedway. Need Speedway badly. lol :lol:

Ahem.........any news??

Ahem.........any news??

Just off to a Committee meeting. I'll find out what's happened...again!

Just back...

Apparently the story is this...There was a lack of confidence in the person designing the new web site so she was removed, which caused a delay while new designers were sought. They have now been found and we have been told that the new site will be up and running by the second or third week in May. Everyone expressed the view quite forcefully that this meeting has to be the last time we discuss the web site as most committee members were getting fed up having to explain why it still wasn't up. It has been agreed that this is now a matter of urgency and has to be prioritised by those responsible.

Other news:

1. Barry Briggs, Ivan Mauger, Ronnie Moore and Freddie Williams have all agreed to become Vice Presidents of the Museum and to help promote it wherever they can.

2. Because of the success of this year's "Celebration of Speedway", it has been agreed to hold it at the Speedway Museum again next year. The date will be 21 February 2010.

3. There is a WSRA Lunch being held at the Speedway Museum on 9 May. Bluey Scott and Jimmy Tannock will be attending (amongst others). Tickets are £15 and available from either Vic White or the Museum.

4. We are hoping to extend the Museum as it is now getting a bit cramped for space. It is hoped to hold a raffle to help raise money for this, with tickets available at all tracks.

5. The Speedway Star will be publishing a voucher for reduced admission to Paradise Wildlife Park in the near future. (£8 instead of the normal £14).

6. Two panels from the Exeter safety fence are on their way to the Museum.

Just back...

Apparently the story is this...There was a lack of confidence in the person designing the new web site so she was removed, which caused a delay while new designers were sought. They have now been found and we have been told that the new site will be up and running by the second or third week in May. Everyone expressed the view quite forcefully that this meeting has to be the last time we discuss the web site as most committee members were getting fed up having to explain why it still wasn't up. It has been agreed that this is now a matter of urgency and has to be prioritised by those responsible.

Other news:

1. Barry Briggs, Ivan Mauger, Ronnie Moore and Freddie Williams have all agreed to become Vice Presidents of the Museum and to help promote it wherever they can.

2. Because of the success of this year's "Celebration of Speedway", it has been agreed to hold it at the Speedway Museum again next year. The date will be 21 February 2010.

3. There is a WSRA Lunch being held at the Speedway Museum on 9 May. Bluey Scott and Jimmy Tannock will be attending (amongst others). Tickets are £15 and available from either Vic White or the Museum.

4. We are hoping to extend the Museum as it is now getting a bit cramped for space. It is hoped to hold a raffle to help raise money for this, with tickets available at all tracks.

5. The Speedway Star will be publishing a voucher for reduced admission to Paradise Wildlife Park in the near future. (£8 instead of the normal £14).

6. Two panels from the Exeter safety fence are on their way to the Museum.

Thanks

The Speedway Museum website is complete (in basic form) and will be operational this week.