British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Stolen Russian Bikes

I'm sure many folks must recall the Russian bikes being stolen prior to the 72 WF-subsequently some British riders were charged -and I think convicted- of this dastardly crime. I know that Tony Clark(a tough character -was one)-anybody recall who else and what subsequently happened-anybody go to jail for that??

Think this has been discussed at least once.If you do a search i'm sure it will come up.Wasn't it Tony Clarkes brother as well?

Think this has been discussed at least once.If you do a search i'm sure it will come up.Wasn't it Tony Clarkes brother as well?

Hi Iris 123-did search but the only post that came up was mine-any help appreciated-by the way since its quarter to six in Canada it must be quarter to twelve in Germany-whaddya doing on the forum at this time of night!!!

Well i won't be here for much longer :lol:

Found this thread.Tony Clarke.But i am sure there was a more in depth discussion about this on another thread.Haven't got the time now to search it out

Thanx Iris-anybody else have anything on this??

Seem to remember reading about another rider having a bike "mis-laid" during a World final at Wmebley and it turning up behind a hot dog stand; Briggo? Also an alledged financially-challenged rider who nonetheless progressed at quite a surprising rate was dealt a life-long ban and actually jailed for both stealing and receiving stolen speedway bikes and equipment, sometime in the late 1980's, I believe...

Seem to remember reading about another rider having a bike "mis-laid" during a World final at Wmebley and it turning up behind a hot dog stand; Briggo?

I think it was John Louis' spare bike that was found behind the hot-dog stand

Martin Mauger who was the financially challenged rider you were referring to? Was Mike Broadbanks involved in the Russian bike thing or is my memory playing tricks.

Thought it may could been Louis who lost his bike but my mind said Briggo for some reason. Dunno any more about the financially challenged rider as at that time, in the late 1980's, there wasn't any speedway in my area as Hull & Scunny were no more I just vaugely remember reading about it in MCN or somewhere like that. Not being able to find out anymore about the guy in question, though I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine it....

Mystery deepens-perhaps Osama Bin Laden was around then too!!