Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Mylor

Sites For New Speedway Tracks, Three Routes?

Looking at the BRMC site (link in original posting) made me think that the guys that were attempting to get Norwich Speedway running at Swaffham might look at part of the Snetterton complex.

I thought Snetterton also had problems with noise and neighbours.

Markone

I think Tony Mole tried to open Brafield a few years ago and received complaints from Coventry. Too near ?

:blink::blink::blink::blink:

Edited by Tsunami

What about newport is that site still there :wink: seriously what about birmingham southampton and thruxton and is there room for improvements at weymouth.

Didn't Southampton have a conferance side a few years ago? Where did that dwindle to........I thought there was a genuine attempt to try and bring the sport back.

Markone

I think Tony Mole tried to open Brafield a few years ago and received complains from Coventry. Too near ?

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

How can Coventry complain about Brafield, it must be at least 40 odd mile away.

Brafield and Coventry ran at the same time in the 50's and 60's.

The more tracks there are the more popular the sport gets.

and there was a track at barrow and sunderland and leicester if all these tracks got the go ahead. imagine the racing we would see

Didn't Southampton have a conferance side a few years ago? Where did that dwindle to........I thought there was a genuine attempt to try and bring the sport back.

They did. There was. Unfortunately, # Name Removed #'s admirable efforts were thwarted by the local council, and he moved on to Wimbledon.

Guest albeeback

I did go to grasstrack at silverstone once,

I went to a long track at Hereford race course once and no horses were harmed...

And what about Matcham just outside Ringwood? Could be a bit of local opposition for Poole! :lol:

Reg, who used to own Matchams wanted to put in a speedway practice track about 3 or 4 years ago but they slapped an SSI on the piece of land he wanted to use. They are currently trying to put a noise restriction on the motocross track - even though it has been there for about 50 years.

Guest bispham_seasider

A Yorkshire based business applied for planning permission to builda greyhound stadium on land just outside Blackpool at Whyndyke Farm [which was originally the spot for the new football ground, which has now started a redevelopment programme instead].

They were due to build a 4,000 all seater stadium and in an area that has little or no housing. It would have been ideal for speedway too, even if a CL side. However, nothing was heard for months and it now looks like they won't be going ahead with it. A great shame, as I'd love to see speedway in Blackpool.

I see that the 'Feltham Arena' is now defunct/unused. I played football there for a couple of seasons and it had space / dirt around the outside the pitch that could be wide enough (with a little widening) for a track. Heathrow Airport was v.close by - so noise already exists :-) Just a shot in the dark.

Why isn`t it possible to have a speedway track at Brands or Silverstone? Too expensive? Brands Hatch used to be a grass track centre and was owned by an ex speedway rider,for instance.Also what about Lyyden.Is it still there? Santa Pod the drag racing place is that still there?

Brands Hatch originally started out as a grasstrack venue ... and (as someone else has mentioned), Silverstone has been used for grasstrack in the past ... Santa Pod is still the "home of European Drag Racing", with crowds on the up again - plenty of space there, but only reachable by car/motorbike (ie no public transport within easy distance) - and I can't see the promoters being too enthusiastic about building a speedway track I'm afraid, they're probably only interested in vehicles that travel in straight(ish) lines!

ive read in this thread about brands hatch / silverstone etc , how about donnington ? is there space for a speedway track there? i'd have thought ex-long eaton would have looked at it due to it been just across the m1 , they should be no problems regarding noise / parking or public transport ,

There is a dirt motocross track in the centre which is also used for Monster Trucks. However, something the size of a Speedway track would be plausible. The infield has two tiers to it. There is one raised part and the other very low.