British Speedway Forum
Mylor

Sites For New Speedway Tracks, Three Routes?

The bmrc website has a list of a few places but has anyone emailed to ask if they have considered speedway at all?

Just lifted this from another web site;Could apply to a Speedway Track to,

old track at earls barton make great new track

« Thread Started on Oct 24, 2005, 2:47pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as far as i know earls barton track is still in one peice would make great place to re open a track if you had the money next to the a 45 between northampton and wellingborough was one of the best betting tracks around right in the middle for milton keynes petterborough kettering huge catchment area.

I heard that the resevoir that is near Nuneaton down Quarry Lane has been filled in and as there are not any houses around maybe that could be a good site for a conference track?

Guest speedyguy
Markone

I think Tony Mole tried to open Brafield a few years ago and received complaints from Coventry. Too near ?

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

Yes, both tracks stage stock car races and there's an interchange of drivers.

I think there are two sites that have been mentioned in the Luton area as well, by the airport as part of the Junction 10a Football Stadium that is now not going to happen as the airport is extending and the other was the quarry site halfway between Luton and Leighton Buzzard, however, that is by a couple of villages.

The only problem with a Luton site is that there was no track there in the past. So you're counting on getting the old Milton Keynes crowd down the M1 and getting some of the fans from Bedfordshire who feel that Rye House is a bit of a difficult journey (it is quite a hike). Certainly wouldn't have any problems in terms of being to close to neighbouring tracks though.

Edited by Welwyn

I still think that smaller tracks especially for CL teams should be considered.

I read in SS that Weymouth maybe out of a stadium. For some areas it maybe asking too much to find a space for a 1/4 mile track. It is always going to be hard living with greyhound, football and rugby landlords so why not be flexible.

Here is a picture of me at Costa Mesa. Note the large heap of dirt, this was a xtreme mx jump night. Silly stuff but the crowd loves it. Anyway look at the track and crowd. Would you rather have this or nothing.

http://xtremesport.org/costamesa-w-bg.jpg

Edited by Malcolm

When it comes to planning permission, not only are noise, traffic and the enviromental impact taken into consideration but also `whats in it for us` attitude by local councils ! !

When it comes to planning permission, not only are noise, traffic and the enviromental impact taken into consideration but also `whats in it for us` attitude by local councils ! !

Can you elaborate?

Guest speedyguy
I think there are two sites that have been mentioned in the Luton area as well, by the airport as part of the Junction 10a Football Stadium that is now not going to happen as the airport is extending and the other was the quarry site halfway between Luton and Leighton Buzzard, however, that is by a couple of villages.

The only problem with a Luton site is that there was no track there in the past. So you're counting on getting the old Milton Keynes crowd down the M1 and getting some of the fans from Bedfordshire who feel that Rye House is a bit of a difficult journey (it is quite a hike). Certainly wouldn't have any problems in terms of being to close to neighbouring tracks though.

In the 1930s there was a track in the Luton area. Riders included the South African Keith Harvey, Phil 'Tiger' Hart and later-to-be world champion Tommy Price. Would be nice to see a revival in this locality.

Heres another thaught for you all, Most race courses (horses) are quite large and not allways in built up areas, most have huge infields so why not put speedway tracks in the middle?

plenty of parking and facilities are there and im sure most of them would be thankfull for extra income

Heres another thaught for you all, Most race courses (horses) are quite large and not allways in built up areas, most have huge infields so why not put speedway tracks in the middle?

plenty of parking and facilities are there and im sure most of them would be thankfull for extra income

I was at Cheltenham racecourse yesterday for an event in their function rooms, and I had similar thoughts. There is a massive unused area in the middle. The attendance at the event was at least on a par with a conference league crowd, so why not?

I posted this on another thread which has now died. As it's related to new venues I should have posted it here so I've moved it. Amendments and explanations in italics

Bit of a quantum leap this.......perhaps it's a new topic. We'll see.

Steve started two topics recently, this one (Rain-offs) and the 'Dealing with noise' one. Now let's assume we're dealing with a greenfield site (Cradley?, Trelawney (Par Moor)? and others). The promoter needs to build some form of stadium but it needs financing and he needs to overcome problems of noise. He/she also requires to maximise income by overcoming rain-offs, which will presumably make his venue rather attractive when it comes to staging prestige events.

The design would be based on an oval of industrial storage units/workshops (income) with the stadium in the centre. The storage units, or any offices/hospitality suites built on top (more income) form the foundations of the dome which becomes a permanent fixture. See http://www.aaask.com/sports/trainingdome.html (scroll down to see inside).

Voila.....the quietest, dryest speedway venue in the country with an all year round income. :rolleyes:Perhaps a hockey pitch on the centre green?

Mr John Postlethwaite.................... Can we have a word about the new Reading Stadium??

I posted this on another thread which has now died. As it's related to new venues I should have posted it here so I've moved it. Amendments and explanations in italics

Bit of a quantum leap this.......perhaps it's a new topic. We'll see.

Steve started two topics recently, this one (Rain-offs) and the 'Dealing with noise' one. Now let's assume we're dealing with a greenfield site (Cradley?, Trelawney (Par Moor)? and others). The promoter needs to build some form of stadium but it needs financing and he needs to overcome problems of noise. He/she also requires to maximise income by overcoming rain-offs, which will presumably make his venue rather attractive when it comes to staging prestige events.

The design would be based on an oval of industrial storage units/workshops (income) with the stadium in the centre. The storage units, or any offices/hospitality suites built on top (more income) form the foundations of the dome which becomes a permanent fixture. See http://www.aaask.com/sports/trainingdome.html (scroll down to see inside).

Voila.....the quietest, dryest speedway venue in the country with an all year round income.  :rolleyes:  Perhaps a hockey pitch on the centre green?

Mr John Postlethwaite.................... Can we have a word about the new Reading Stadium??

Cant see where the crowd would go?

Not difficult. Entrances would be between the storage bays and just like at Cardiff or most football grounds, you'd climb a few steps and find yourself in the middle of the stands, which, of course, are around the oval, inside the storage units/workshops. Just think about the cupboard under your stairs. That's the layout, sort of.