British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Stummings

A Race Against Time

No, it was definitely after half 3 when the announcement was made.

Jeezuss! Obviously, I can't even tell the time now. :wink:

The announcement said Ben had left the building...... I remember looking at my watch thinking "blimey - that's exactly an hour..no way " ! We have done it back from Coventry to here in Letchworth in an hour.......but that was late at night. normal time is arounf an hour and 15 from here. And we are half an hour from Rye. I guess you wouldn't go this way though, but even so..... He did well to get there, and I thought it was perfectly acceptable for him to leave after heat 12. :wink:

That doesn't mean the exact moment he left though does it? I'll go with srbramble's time of 3.25pm. :wink:

That doesn't mean the exact moment he left though does it? I'll go with srbramble's time of 3.25pm. :wink:

Yep, which means it would have taken him around an hour and a half, which is about right ! :)

The race had only just finished when the announcement was made. If he'd left 10 minutes earlier, he'd have been in two places at once! :rolleyes:

I just find it a remarkable achievement from Mr Trump. He's taken Coventry from being an all-conquering side to one that'll stop at nothing to desperately get Ben Barker to the track. I mean, we're talking Ben Barker here, not some world beater. He only scored a couple of points. Was it really worth the effort and the embarrassment?

In a word....YES. Two points was enough. Doubt if Josh Auty would have scored any.

I wouldn't say it was an embarrassment either as it made for very dramatic T.V. I bet Sky loved it.

It was embarrassing and made the sport look ridiculous. Is that what speedway has become, a tinpot comedy show for Sky Sports?

why the heck did they not just give ben a helicopter might br easier if not as quick . :blink:

why the heck did they not just give ben a helicopter might br easier if not as quick . :blink:

According to Sky last night that was considered but they couldn't get the necessary authorisation in time.

why the heck did they not just give ben a helicopter

Well, that would certainly be better than the car Tai Woffinden's Polish club gave him, but don't you think giving him a helicopter is a bit extravagant?

Edited by Subedei

I just find it a remarkable achievement from Mr Trump. He's taken Coventry from being an all-conquering side to one that'll stop at nothing to desperately get Ben Barker to the track. I mean, we're talking Ben Barker here, not some world beater. He only scored a couple of points. Was it really worth the effort and the embarrassment?

Yep .they would have got beat otherwise also they never knew before hand he was only going to score 2 as the meeting before he had scored paid 17 .

Yes so it was worth it .

I mean, we're talking Ben Barker here, not some world beater. He only scored a couple of points. Was it really worth the effort and the embarrassment?

You do the young man a disservice. He has, on the whole, done very well for Coventry. His GSA, as shown on the KanDysoft website, is 4.87 (5.62). Yesterday proved to be a very poor meeting for him, but it was worth the effort to get him there. That was his worst score for Coventry since 12th May. He's done thirteen meetings between these two, including paid fifteen twice (both from seven rides).

These figures prove him to be a far better 'bet' than Andreas, Stan, Filip, Robbie and almost certainly Josh. He's also outscored Billy Janirro over the last 6 meetings, and his current GSA is just 0.08 below the far more experienced American's.

Well, that would certainly be better than the car his Polish club gave him, but don't you think giving him a helicopter is a bit extravagant?

Are you sure that wasn't Tai Woofenden? Why would a Polish club bother to sign a rider such as Ben Barker, who is no World beater according to you, when they've got such a good class of rider to pick from.

Edited by Gemini

why the heck did they not just give ben a helicopter might br easier if not as quick .

if it wasn't as quick, surely he would've been late :P:wink: