British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Stummings

A Race Against Time

Whilst not sure when Trump left Rye House, told it was 3.15, he did not arrive at Coventry I would estimate till after 4.45, therefore 96 miles would have been an average speed of 64mph, which is only slightly over the speed the AA for example would have given for the journey. Frankly think helicopter would have been better option as could have brought Bens bikes as well. Although meeting started at 4.30, with Sky there you have to have introduction and then time out for adverts, so at earliest heat 1 would not start until 4.40. Anyway, I am sure Sky loved this, it adds a bit of spice and drama to their presentation.

Helicopter really not an option with those time restraints.

Ben would have had to drive to the airfield / airport - get through any possible security controls.

Arrive at offices / complete any paperwork / walk or drive out to helicopter.

Checks then carried out on helicopter (Im sure even Ben isnt important enough for the engines to be running!!)

Then depart.

Then once at Coventry the same problems would occour.

I have had to meet a fixed wing aircraft at an airfieldf before using my car. I left my airfield at the same time the pilot went out to the aircraft.

I arrived at the arriving airfield BEFORE the aircraft landed.

Its a great way to travel but not always the fastest.

That said - I doubt no rles or laws could be broken using this mode of transportation.

Edited by Sandie

It just adds another nail into the Club who i support but have managed to yet again draw attention to the way they wish to run the club these days. Treat riders who this time last season doing the club so proud like dirt (trying to be polite here).

I was working so i watched it later at home and i was expecting Jeremy Clarkson or the Stig (maybe Mr Trumps new name) to jump out it looked so daft. The way in which Coventry treated heat 1 was shocking, it took Kelvin 5 seconds to work out what they had planned........fine way to show the country how we go about things.

What if barker had come down or caused a crash after the way he was rushed? Its alot to have to live with i imagine. A week that has reminded us all what these guys risk i just can`t understand the logic. I understand Mr Trump reads this forum and if so then i hope he understands what i am getting at. I do think Sandie makes some fair comments on this forum and from what i have read she thinks Mr Trump will do ok for Coventry. Lets hope for a better 2009

Speed Kills.

No it doesn't. Crashing kills. If I crash at 65mph and kill someone driving/riding like a t!t the fact that I was under the speed limit doesn't make it okay. I'm with Blazeaway. Dangerous driving/riding kills rather than speeding. There's always come numpty driving at very low speed for the road, using the wrong lane, turning without signaling, missing gear shifts on acceleration, making the rules up as you go on islands etcetera. All far more dangerous than going a little over the speed limit. And I hope nobody starts quoting stopping distances, because they're a joke. It rather depends on what you're driving/riding. Although I do appreciate the general point about the law/speed limits, and I don't condone excessive speeding.

It's already been illustrated that the journey could have been made without driving at ridiculous speeds because of the roads used.

Anyway far more worrying than all this is that the Cov "start tarts" are sponsored by "Bargain Booze" Classy or what?!

Was it not Pukka Pies the other week or were they not Coventry. Either way :blink:

Regarding driving Barker to Coventry, whilst it may have been a little irresponsible to chance the journey and count on getting there on time you've got to give them the benefit of the doubt, I don't agree with rushing back and if speed limits were broken then in any scenario that's wrong, but unless any of you were in the back of the car then you can't judge whether Trump was dangerous, too fast or whatever else. I don't think, or maybe I wouldn't like to think, that Allen Trump would have done anything stupid on the way to Coventry that would put others' lives at risk.

If anyone knows differently then go ahead but whilst, as I said above, it's wrong to break speed limits and drive dangerously (and I too know about the effects of dangerous driving), I just don't think anyone can judge the journey back from Rye House unless you were there.

Edited by tigerblues

I hope the angry smilies are at the situation rather than me!!

Im with you on this one.

A car going at speed will be the one at the next junction whilst those involved with the crash left behind are the ones picking up the pieces!!

This family has seen the consequences of speed and those memories will stay forever.

And yes I do agree that a safe speed on the motorway could be higher and those doing 50 in the centre lane cause more problems.

The angry smilies were 100% at the situation and not you Sandie.

On the subject of speeding and in particular to Blazeaway and 21st CH my dad was a pretty good driver, only had one minor bump when a doctor ran into him at a crossroad and he used to say ' any idiot can drive fast, it's when something goes wrong like a blow out or they have to react to something and they cant they are buggered' He also worked as an electrician in a hospital and used to tell me about the idiots who had been involved in high speed road bike accidents. They never changed and would speed about down the wards sending people diving for cover. It seems some folk will never change. Agree that some people cause problems too by bad driving you suggest. As usual it comes down to common sense. There are no doubts there are people within our sport who DO drive like idiots on the road, riders, promoters, centre green announcers etc ...you know who you are !!!!!

p.s they sped about in the hospital in wheelchairs not on Kawasaki Ninja's or Suzuki Bandits, lol

Edited by Down in the Park

I find it strange that forum members are happy to debate whether or not the rules of speedway have been broken but care not a toss that the law of the land was broken!

Oh i don't Star Lady. Supriseth me not in the least Like i said in my post above...everyone will know someone in this sport who has driven like a maniac to get to or from a meeting.

Do not entirely agree about helicopter, they can land and take off anywhere proving there is room, do not need an airport, whilst do not know about Rye House end, plenty of room at Brandon in car park. Jockeys use this mode of transport quite often, when they are at more than one race meeting in a day.

On the subject of speeding and in particular to Blazeaway and 21st CH...

Of course excessive speeding is extremely foolish, and as I said would never condone that. It's just that there some people that give the impression they've never driven/ridden a little over the limit to get to where they're going. I would suggest that just about everybody has done that at one time or another. There are far greater dangers on our roads than people driving/riding a little over the limit.

Of course excessive speeding is extremely foolish, and as I said would never condone that. It's just that there some people that give the impression they've never driven/ridden a little over the limit to get to where they're going. I would suggest that just about everybody has done that at one time or another. There are far greater dangers on our roads than people driving/riding a little over the limit.

Some people on here are amazing and very sad!!!

You have a team trying their best to give themselfs the best chance of winning.

A promoter making a big effort to get his rider to the track on time (not many promoters would be bothered to make that effort).

And a young ENGLISH rider making a huge effort to do 2 meeting in the space of 6 or 7 hours.

Yet all most of you do is put them down, but then the boy is NOT a aussie or swede or dane is he!!!! and i dont suppose none of you have gone over the driving limit if your running abit late!!!!!!

Stop being so sad and if this is all most of you have to moan about then your very lucky people!!!!

That doesn't mean the exact moment he left though does it? I'll go with srbramble's time of 3.25pm. :wink:

Must of been - I swear I heard a gunshot at Rye to start the race :P:D

Some people on here are amazing and very sad!!!

You have a team trying their best to give themselfs the best chance of winning.

A promoter making a big effort to get his rider to the track on time (not many promoters would be bothered to make that effort).

And a young ENGLISH rider making a huge effort to do 2 meeting in the space of 6 or 7 hours.

Yet all most of you do is put them down, but then the boy is NOT a aussie or swede or dane is he!!!! and i dont suppose none of you have gone over the driving limit if your running abit late!!!!!!

Stop being so sad and if this is all most of you have to moan about then your very lucky people!!!!

My moan is about the fact that I put petrol in the car, paid my admission money to go and see Ben ride a full meeting. Only to be told after the meeting had been won that Ben was now leaving to get to Coventry for their home meeting, (It was now 15.30. I don't drive but even I know that you cannot get from Rye House to Coventry in an hour for the Coventry meeting starting at 16.30.) What about us paying speedway supporters that had turned up at Rye in the expectation of seeing the meeting to the end with the riders who started the meeting (none being injured thankfully.)

Where does it say your fave riders, or the riders your prefer to see ride, will turn out in heat 15?

Typical arrogant Elite League piffle.

It was a disgrace that Barker didn't ride in Ht 15. He owed it to the paying public at Rye House, who'd had to watch a mediocre Stoke side being put to the sword. It's one thing to pick and choose riders if you're the away side and you've won the meeting, quite another if you've been royally spanked. But Barker probably doesn't care. He thinks he's on the road to fame and fortune in the Elite League. But I suspect he'll have a shock next season.

Doesn't answer the question.

I'd rather see Olly get more chances in heat 15 at Coventry, but it doesn't mean I get my own way. I don't put the petrol in, travel to Coventry and pay my admission expecting to see him ride in heat 15 when he has a good night.

Besides, it's only Ben Barker after all (your opinion not mine). Why would anyone want to pay their money to see him ride in heat 15?!!