British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Un-official World Finals

3 hours ago, gustix said:

... 'world champions' for the events staged in France 1929-37:
1934 meeting 2 - 1.Jean Landru

1 hour ago, Bavarian said:

Tell me who was this Jean Landru ? Never came across this name when researching the Paris speedway meetings of the 1930s ! And You claim he was a world champion in 1934 !

My knowledge of Jean Landru is only based on information posted elsewhere. But some years ago in 'The voice' magazine in an article by English rider Pete Rogers he mentions Landru as competing in French meetings in the 1960s and 1970s. And the artscle also mentioned Landru was winner of a world championship staged in Paris in the 1930s.

And Bavarian: I did not claim Landru was a world champion in the 1930s...I merely quoted a reference that details him as such.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, andout said:

Not sure that is true.....would like to proven wrong though?

There was talk once of doing this and also the 1968 Pairs in Kempten but I wasn't aware it had come to fruition.

Looking thru' my Peter Oakes Yearbook (1990) quoted is that "The 1969 World Pairs Final is no longer recognised by the FIM even though official FIM medals were issued to the top three nations." Mystery to me!

Edited by steve roberts

41 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Looking thru' my Peter Oakes Yearbook (1990) quoted is that "The 1969 World Pairs Final is no longer recognised by the FIM even though official FIM medals were issued to the top three nations." Mystery to me!

You may be interested in this Wikipedia data on the World Pairs Championship:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedway_World_Pairs_Championship

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Speedway_World_Pairs_Championship

Edited by Guest

49 minutes ago, gustix said:

My knowledge of Jean Landru is only based on information posted elsewhere. But some years ago in 'The voice' magazine in an article by English rider Pete Rogers he mentions Landru as competing in French meetings in the 1960s and 1970s. And the artscle also mentioned Landru was winner of a world championship staged in Paris in the 1930s.

And Bavarian: I did not claim Landru was a world champion in the 1930s...I merely quoted a reference that details him as such.

O.k., Jean Landru was a French speedway rider in the 1950s, but he did not feature in the pre-war meetings at the Paris Buffalo Stadium. He certainly wasn't a world champion! 

5 minutes ago, Bavarian said:

O.k., Jean Landru was a French speedway rider in the 1950s, but he did not feature in the pre-war meetings at the Paris Buffalo Stadium. He certainly wasn't a world champion! 

And I repeat: I did not make the claim that Jean Landru was a world champion. I gathered the fact originally from the quoted SPEEDWAY PLUS article. Have you read the article?

http://www.speedwayplus.com/france.shtml

Edited by Guest

56 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Had a long discussion once with Ivan Mauger while I was driving him to Owego, NY (12 hour round trip). He said to me quite emphatically that it was a "World Final" because he got an FIM medal for it, even though it did not say "World Champion. He did concede  however that he also got FIM medals from other events. We never actually agreed!! LOL

I have been looking around and I cannot find anywhere that, at least 1969 is considered a World Final.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

24 minutes ago, andout said:

Had a long discussion once with Ivan Mauger while I was driving him to Owego, NY (12 hour round trip). He said to me quite emphatically that it was a "World Final" because he got an FIM medal for it, even though it did not say "World Champion. He did concede  however that he also got FIM medals from other events. We never actually agreed!! LOL

I have been looking around and I cannot find anywhere that, at least 1969 is considered a World Final.

Does this help?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_Speedway_World_Pairs_Championship

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, gustix said:

Not really, since I do not accept Wikipedia as fact and nor should anyone even if it agrees with what you think. Nothing like doing your own research and getting the real facts!

Someone can make 1968 and 69 Pairs Finals as World Finals in seconds........

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, andout said:

Not really, since I do not accept Wikipedia as fact and nor should anyone even if it agrees with what you think. Nothing like doing your own research and getting the real facts!

Someone can make 1968 and 69 Pairs Finals as World Finals in seconds........

How do you know alternative sources are any more reliable than what is carried on Wikipedia? And on that theme, how did 'Speedway Star' recognise these pairs championships in 1968 and 1969?

23 minutes ago, gustix said:

And I repeat: I did not make the claim that Jean Landru was a world champion. I gathered the fact originally from the quoted SPEEDWAY PLUS article. Have you read the article?

Yes I have read it, but unfortunately it contains a lot of nonsense .

Even the photograph of the Buffalo Stadium is wrong. It pictures the "old" Velodrome Buffalo, at Neuilly-sur-Seine, which was used only for cycle races from its inauguration in 1893 until it ceased operations during the First World War. 

But the motorcycle dirt-track racing never took place there, it took place in the Stade-Velodrome Buffalo, at Montrouge, which was a big multi sports stadium in Paris, built in 1922, that also hosted football, and rugby, as well as cycle races on a steeply banked concrete cycle track around the outer perimeters of the cinders track, which surrounded the rugby football pitch. It could accommodate 20,000 spectators. After the war the stadium even hosted stock car races. The Stadium was demolished in 1957.

To give You an indication of how the Buffalo Stadium ("Stade-Vélodrome Buffalo") looked like in the 1930s here is a picture taken during a football match there.

Premier match de football au stade Buffalo de Montrouge, au sud de Paris, en 1923.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gustix said:

How do you know alternative sources are any more reliable than what is carried on Wikipedia? And on that theme, how did 'Speedway Star' recognise these pairs championships in 1968 and 1969?

Everything is more reliable than Wikipedia......Source for the recognition of 1968 and 1969......FIM!!!! What more do you want?

how did 'Speedway Star' recognise these pairs championships?  Because they wanted too!!!! Any way to get story whether true or not!

Edited by andout

7 minutes ago, andout said:

Everything is more reliable than Wikipedia......Source for the recognition of 1968 and 1969......FIM!!!! What more do you want?

how did 'Speedway Star' recognise these pairs championships?  Because they wanted too!!!! Any way to get story whether true or not!

From what I saw on Wikipedia their source was quoting the FIM!!!

Re: "Speedway Star" and the events.When I said "...how did Speedway Star recognise them..." it was to query did they qualify the meetings - as official world championships or not? My comment was not to infer that they had given an undeserved recognition to the events just to suit journalistic needs.

I give up!!!! You win John......Like talking to a brick wall.....if you could only read what I stated would help immensely!

5 hours ago, gustix said:

At least the guy puts a disclaimer f sorts at the bottom by stating he just saw the results somewhere but couldn't confirm anything. By just copying those results without the disclaimer or putting in an article that someone was the unofficial world champ in 1936 without yourself doing any research is pure rubbish as usual

11 hours ago, gustix said:

5 hours ago, iris123 said:

At least the guy puts a disclaimer f sorts at the bottom by stating he just saw the results somewhere but couldn't confirm anything. By just copying those results without the disclaimer or putting in an article that someone was the unofficial world champ in 1936 without yourself doing any research is pure rubbish as usual

I  have far more important things to do than research Posts made by other members on here - and only tend to respond when something I can use/quote is readily to hand. This reflects IMO that basically "...it's only speedway..." not a matter of worldwide importance. It's nearly 15 years since I last attended a speedway meeting and have not suffered 'withdrawal symptoms' because of this.