British Speedway Forum

Probably because he is getting paid good money to plug the drink.

What, the deal is get it mentioned 20 times per GP is it ;)

My personal fave commentery moment from Saturday was in the final - Millard's there chatting on with himself about Ped and gollob with a bit of Greg thrown in and all of a sudden you hear Kelvin almost screech "CRUMPPPP!"

My mum had the audacity to ask (seriously) whether Leigh Adams was really from Mildura as she always thought Jason Lyons was "The Man From Mildura" - keep in mind my mum has watched every GP on sky since 1996!! :blink:

What, the deal is get it mentioned 20 times per GP is it ;)

Its a god awful drink!!!

They had the "Monster" trucks at BV earlier this year and they gave away freebies - Its like red bull but worse!!

And whilst we're talking repetitions how about Chris Harris? He seems to start every sentence with "Oh definitely." I'm just waiting for the interviewer to say something along the lines of "Well, Chris you have had a pretty rubbish G.P. so far." I'm sure Chris will still say "Oh definitely." :lol:

Is that what he is saying, I wonder what it was, as I cannot understand a word that he is saying.

:lol:

How do sky put up with it i dont know.

Is there anyone else to do it, or is Millard not on a lot of money.. unless they know as little about speedway as him at Sky and think nothing of it. Kelvin sounded like he was losing the will to live commentating with him.

Its a god awful drink!!!

They had the "Monster" trucks at BV earlier this year and they gave away freebies - Its like red bull but worse!!

Totally agree Jenn

Its a god awful drink!!!

Funny you say that cos I was gonna say summat about all these energy drinks being gross but didn't like to poopoo Hancock sponsor haha ............... I guess it's like medicine, you have to put up with the taste for the good it does you :)

And calls the heat, 'this will be a 5-1 to....'. As we all know the race is over 4 laps and often changes beyond the first bend, it also adds to the misconception that speedway is all about gating and the first bend.

Are we all still moaning? :lol: Oh good 'cos I've just thought of another thing that irritates me. The statistics for the winning gate positions. Like your post above it implies that whoever gates first from a given grid position wins the race, when in fact it could be someone completely different who has had to fight his way through from the back.

Funny you say that cos I was gonna say summat about all these energy drinks being gross but didn't like to poopoo Hancock sponsor haha ............... I guess it's like medicine, you have to put up with the taste for the good it does you :)

Agree. People either love energy drinks or hate them but it cant be ignored that regardless of brand, they are selling thousands of cans everyday. Just look at how many different types Tesco sell so someone is buying them!

At the end of the day, Greg is just doing his job and putting the name out there. He has gone over the top with how he has done it in the past but in Latvia was much better. Maybe BSI have banned him from holding a can while being interviewed...

Dont forget that he isnt the only one - Harris often has a can in his hand when being interviewed and of course his helmet is fully Monster'd, as is Hampel's with Red Bull.

Edited by rickmiller

Would not surprise me that BSI have banned him from holding the drink ....

Supposedly they dont allow riders to sell merchandise around the stadia anymore like that did at Wrocslaw , so people buy the SGP merchandise inside ...which we all know is tosh.

Are we all still moaning? :lol: Oh good 'cos I've just thought of another thing that irritates me. The statistics for the winning gate positions. Like your post above it implies that whoever gates first from a given grid position wins the race, when in fact it could be someone completely different who has had to fight his way through from the back.

I've always thought along the same lines Gem. They should reflect how many points are scored from each gate which I think sometimes the riders take into account when picking their gates.

Well if we both agree then we must be right. :)

Forgive me for highjacking this thread for a moment but I didn't want to start another one. I just wanted to point out that if the GP points scoring system was as follows:-

25 for winning a GP

20 for being 2nd

18 for being 3rd

17 for being 4th

16 for being 5th & 6th ie 3rd in the semi finals

15 for being 7th & 8th ie 4th in the semi finals

All other riders keeping their qualifying scores

After Latvia the overall scores would be:-

NP 157 JC 151 TG 134 GH 126 LA 123 HA 120 AJ 116 RH 72 NKI 69 CH 62 FL 57 SN 57 BP 54 KK 44 LD 39

Not many positional differences but the points differences between certain riders is a bit more interesting IMO and reflects the current series rankings.

Forgive me for highjacking this thread for a moment but I didn't want to start another one. I just wanted to point out that if the GP points scoring system was as follows:-

25 for winning a GP

20 for being 2nd

18 for being 3rd

17 for being 4th

16 for being 5th & 6th ie 3rd in the semi finals

15 for being 7th & 8th ie 4th in the semi finals

All other riders keeping their qualifying scores

After Latvia the overall scores would be:-

NP 157 JC 151 TG 134 GH 126 LA 123 HA 120 AJ 116 RH 72 NKI 69 CH 62 FL 57 SN 57 BP 54 KK 44 LD 39

Not many positional differences but the points differences between certain riders is a bit more interesting IMO and reflects the current series rankings.

The immediate thing that occurs to me is the huge gap between seventh (Jonsson) and eighth (Holta).

I always keep an eye on the standings as they would've been under the scoring regime that was in place for 2005 and 2006:

1..N Pedersen..(DEN)..20..18..16..20..18..25..18..20 = 155

2..J Crump..(AUS)..09..08..16..18..25..18..16..25 = 135

3..T Gollob..(POL)..25..11..08..25..04..12..07..18 = 110

4..G Hancock..(US)..08..20..06..09..20..16..12..16 = 107

5..H Andersen..(DEN)..18..06..07..16..08..20..20..07 = 101

6..L Adams..(AUS)..05..25..08..08..07..10..25..09 = 97

7..A Jonsson..(SWE)..16..09..08..08..09..08..06..09 = 73

8..R Holta..(POL)..05..04..25..07..06..08..05..04 = 64

9..F Lindgren..(SWE)..07..07..20..03..02..04..07..07 = 57

10..S Nicholls..(GBR)..07..02..07..07..16..06..04..07 = 56

11=..N-K Iversen..(DEN)..08..09..02..06..06..07..08..01 = 47

11=..C Harris..(GBR)..06..06..05..03..09..07..03..08 = 47

13..B Pedersen..(DEN)..04..--..--..07..14..07..06..07 = 45

14..K Kasprzak..(POL)..06..03..05..03..04..01..09..07 = 38

15..L Dryml..(CZR)..08..02..03..02..01..04..05..07 = 32

16..[W]..J Hampel..(POL)..--..16..--..--..--..--..--..-- = 16

17..[W]..K Bjerre..(DEN)..--..--..--..11..--..--..--..-- = 11

18..[R/W]..L Tomicek..(CZR)..--..03..05..--..--..00..--..-- = 08

19=..[W]..M Zagar..(SLO)..07..--..--..--..--..--..--..-- = 07

19=..[W]..J Davidsson..(SWE)..--..--..07..--..--..--..--..-- = 07

21..[W]..E Kennett..(GBR)..--..--..--..--..04..--..--..-- = 04

22..[W]..P Ljung..(SWE)..--..--..--..--..--..--..03..-- = 03

23..[W]..G Laguta..(RUS)..--..--..--..--..--..--..--..02 = 02

Great pix - the crowd were very lively but then it was very cold - especially for those only wearing t-shirts :rolleyes: