British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
panthersfan

My family and the beginning of British Speedway...

As I have said before, I was pretty sure that members of my family were involved in the very beginning of British speedway, and here I have an article from a newpaper, on the very beginning, and also rather a lot about my family (with Ray being my dad)

There is also an image accompanying the article but, as it didn't upload correctly, I can't show it now, I'll sort it out for another time, though... anyway... the article can be found HERE

Other riders at the very beginning included...

Len Steward, Tom Wood, Alan Roat, Lionel Van-Praag, Fred Tracey, Len Woods, Bert Jones, Ern Evans, Dick Sulway, 'Bluey' Wilkinson and Lionel Davis....

(with Tom Wood being my great-uncle)

That's a very interesting article, pf, but I'm not sure about the dates. As far as I know, Lionel Van Praag, for example, was not one of the very early Australian arrivals in this country. He came over in 1931 when the sport was fairly well established. Bluey Wilkinson was earlier, but not one of the earliest. 1929 I believe was his first year in this country.

Still, some good stuff and you must be excited to find your father was one of the pioneers.

Thats a great article pf, it seems you have a long tradition in your family for racing. So the obvoius question is, when are you going to start following on in the family tradition then?

The other point of interest is that Sue Wood, despite having learnt to ride was not allowed to do so over here when they came over in 1980. At least some aspects of the laws have moved on in the last 25 years.

cheers norbold... you've confused me. LOL... but I'll try and look into it a bit more, perhaps look for info on the ship or summat (as a while ago I managed to find the ship my ancestors used to sail from ireland to australia in 1850 something!) :shock: (the net is a truly useful thing!)

anyway, here's the picture that goes with the article....

I must admit fs... that it has got me thinking... it would be sad for the tradition to end (as I don't think any of my same-age relatives indulge in speedway) so I might at least give it a go sometime, though I severely doubt I have the required bravery to compete. (though I definitely have the insanity!)

I have a mate who recently lost his father at the age of 90+...Jack's father was an early speedway rider in the London area and scribbled some of his thoughts down on paper a few years ago....along the lines of...who put that f..... fence there????

I am trying to get jack to discuss a booklet or make the memoirs available maybe for the vintage speedway mag? Will take a bit of time, but I think within a year we'll have a close up view of how to ride speedway in the 30's... probably much like now according to Frede Schott...drop clutch, turn left....sounds easy...lol

Should be fascinating, DavyH. Do you have a name for this rider?

Still got to get the son to agree first Norbold, at the moment he is typing out the handwritten notes which I've not seen yet but I'll give him a nudge in the right direction soon ;-)

hey Norbold.... on the subject of old riders....

do you know how long ago it was that dear old Lionel Crossley passed away?

I used to chat to him a lot at Wimbledon and various tracks he was timekeeping at, and found him to be one of the nicest blokes i have ever met in the sport. Never heard anything about him after Wimbledon closed in '91 and didn't know he was gone until i saw it in the VSRA membership book.... i would have written to him had he still been around.

Fantastic bloke (always pipe in mouth!)...much missed.